Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 12:40 PM   #61  

Hello all!

I am still around and enjoying your posts. This has been a stressful week because my back spasms decided to return. I know what triggered it... I moved a 65 lb floor AC unit upstairs. I was lifting with my knees, I swear!!! But alas, my back wasn't appreciating the effort I put into the lift. I am out of meds and don't want to go back to doc-in-a-box to get more. I'm just taking it easy (good thing I have today and tomorrow off) and alternating between ice packs and BioFreeze. My dad sent me the BioFreeze stuff and it's a miracle!

What's amazing is that I used to carry that 65 lbs on my body!!! Unbelievable. My poor body. I'm over halfway to goal!! I hear TOM sneaking around the corner and he might appear today. Not sure if I'll lose weight this week, but that's ok. Next week will be better.

I stuck to my eating plan duirng the 4th and my baby sis came to visit. She made broccoli quiche and I got my veggie serving in w00h00! I did some mild treadmill (20 min) and some DDR (easy mode). I think I have sis hooked on DDR!!! I was hoping mild exercise would ease the spasms a bit.

Annie, I understand about big dawgs in the bed! I have 2 goldens, and it's a good thing these 2 aren't afraid of storms or fireworks. My other old golden used to panic. It was horrible. Poor old man. Glad yours settled down and decided all was well and went to sleep on their beds. My goldens sleep UNDER my bed. It's an antique one and there's lots of room underneath. They are such goofs and I luv them to death. They are snoring now.

Hugs to all!
Ratkitten
Old 07-05-2007, 01:01 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 362/345/225

Hi all,
I haven't been around in a few days; work has been pretty crazy. Then again, that's the usual state of things around here. It's what happens when there isn't enough time/money to meet the needs of a community.

My partner and I have also had a rough couple of days. I have food issues; she has clutter issues, and sometimes they get in our way. This time, I made a suggestion about some housekeeping thing or another, and I inadvertently hurt her feelings because, by her definition, the routine housework is her responsibility. But we vowed to keep talking to each other no matter what, and because we did, we worked things out and actually had a great holiday. I am THRILLED to report I ate well, too, despite the temptation that hotdogs and chips bring.

Nancy, glad your move went well.
Peggy, cool about the shorts! Dontcha just love a bargain?
Sue, amazing bike ride! You are my exercise role model of the week!

To all, I hope the rest of your week brings sun-shiny days and great spirits.

Robyn
Old 07-05-2007, 01:47 PM   #63  
Lisa

S/C/G: 287/See Tracker/180

Height: 5'9"

Hi Everyone!

Well . . . after 3.5 months of regular weight loss, the honeymoon is officially over. On my weigh in a week ago, I lost enough weight to bring me to a total weight loss of 40 pounds (39.9 to be exact). I celebrated and didn't really stay on plan this week. I gained 3.9 pounds bringing my total weight loss down to 36 pounds. I am heartbroken and I cried all the way to work. I guess it was time for a kick in the pants, because I have been straying for a few weeks. However, it is really hard and I feel like a real jerk. I am going to have a tough week this week because I have two parties to go to on Saturday and then next week, I will be out of town for two days at a big time corporate meeting. Bringing powdered soup is NOT an option. I guess I'll just move my food around on my plate and try to eat as little as possible without being too obvious. Anyway, I just wanted to confess! I always post my successes, and I guess I have to post my failures too.

I hope you guys are doing well. I'll check in later!

Lisa
Old 07-05-2007, 03:00 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Brenda -- Wonderful wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sue -- I've been thinking about your bike and your butt! Do you have a comfy seat for it? If you're going to be riding it a lot you might want to check out getting something comfy. I don't know all the options but there are things that can help!

Metachick -- Enjoy the gym! I can't tell you how getting into weight training has helped shaped my perceptions of myself. I can't believe I can bench press using 40 pound dumb bells in each hand! Or bicep curl with 25s in each hand! (Our weight gives us an advantage on some level -- we haul around a lot!). And I'm making all these mind/body connections all the time. It's been great!

It wasn't always so great. I first started and just did an orientation with a trainer and pretty much worked on my own. I did that for 9 months. Made some progress but was only using machines and didn't really know where to go from there. Now I work with a trainer and LOVE it!!!!

Annie -- Listen to you "got all my abs in for the day!" YOU"RE ROCKING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep it up!!

Lisa -- I've had that happen. You relax when you get to a certain point and WHAMMO!! Just do what you can to get back on track. Remember, even not gaining MORE will be a victory if it's a tough week!! You can refocus more fully when things calm down. Remember this is a really really long marathon, not a sprint!
Old 07-05-2007, 05:35 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 510/see tracker/160

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Donna: I looooooove your avatar picture! What a doll you are. Beautiful smile too!

Meta: I am soo proud of you to go to the YMCA and sign up for a personal trainer like that. How cool.

Ratkitten: I hope your back is feeling better really soon. I just love Goldens and Labs. Wish mine could fit under our bed. lol.

Jewel: Good job eating well on the 4th! Glad that you and your partner were able to work it out!

Lisa: It's okay hun. You can do it. Jump right back on the wagon! You can do it.

Heather: LOL. I didn't mean for it to sound like I do tons of them. lol. I do 300 crunches a day every day so that is my "abs" workout. lol.

I just got back from the pool. I rode the bike for 1/2 hour prior to the pool and I want to put in at least another 1/2 hour maybe more but it is too hot in my house right now. DH told me we can go swim at the river when he gets home. I am like a kid at Christmas when someone tells me I get to swim some more. lol. I hope you are all blessed and doing well.

Blessings,
Annie
Old 07-05-2007, 05:40 PM   #66  
742,000 calories burned

S/C/G: 592/380/175

Height: 5'9"

Heather- you are right about how every movement is a weight bearing exercise. There are a few things that overweight people don’t get that smaller people do that doctors don’t want to talk about so as not to encourage people to stay fat. One of those is osteoporosis because we do so much weight being exercise just walking to the bathroom.

Sue-Heather is right about bike seats. I always recommend Hobson Easyseats. It is basically a two-cheek seat that looks like two bike seats attached together. It is adjustable as wide as you need, and it pivots with your legs kind of rocking back and forth as you pedal. They are relatively cheap, can be ordered on line or at any bike shop, and are worth their weight in gold for a regular bike, or an exercise bike.

Zest-When I go to a BBQ, I take along tofu dogs and ask them to grill them for me. For some reason, I never have trouble with other people taking them. I also bring my own buns, and use low cal ones like Weight Watchers. Condiments are usually not the problem.

Peggy-I am so looking forward to being able to wear really nice clothes. I’ve always fantasized myself in a Chanel gown.

Donna-I’m especially waiting on the mail right now because I’m expecting a package. I spent some mad money on some cartoons, and have been waiting over two weeks now. International shipping is so slow.

Nancy-I knew it was just a matter of time before you started losing weight once you got your own place.

Xena-I guess I would have tried stand up, except I wasn’t able to actually stand up for many years. I guess they could have rolled me out, but most stages aren’t wheelchair accessible. Besides, I am actually susceptible to enormous stage fright. I used to sing in a band in college to help with costs, but had to get pretty drunk to go on stage. You know in most places beer is free to the band. When you have to get so drunk to go on stage that you end up almost falling off it, it is time for another career choice. Now if Erma Bombeck’s job was open, that I’d love to do.

Brenda-I wish that I could lose 4 pounds. You are doing so great.

Annie-My basset used to love fireworks. He was so strange. When they started going off he’d get so excited to go outside. I thought Labs were supposed to be good gun dogs. You know being gun shy can get a hunting dog’s AKC pulled. I found that fascinating. You also technically lose it for having them neutered, but since it only matters when trying to sell puppies, I guess that doesn’t matter.

Meta-I guess I stand it because the alternative is to give up and die. At least with the new diet, I’m not craving things and have regained my energy, so it may just take some time for my body to catch up. My goal is better health, so I can deal with the idea of just maintaining if I feel better. The problem may simply be that I gained a lot more this time over the upper weight limit on my scale, and it is going to take longer to lose back down to that. I had been toying with a 10 pound up and down thing, and that came off quickly once I started working at it. This time it may take longer. I’m about ready to buy another scale that goes higher. If I actually thought I was losing inches, I’d do that, but I’m really not.

Ratkitty-I also love Biofreeze. When I first started trying to walk again, that was the only thing that loosened me up without having to be heavily drugged.

Robyn-It is always a victory to eat well during a holiday.

Lisa-Posting failures is a good way to prevent them from happening again. We are only as sick as our secrets. Once you have been used to celebrating with food or rewarding yourself with food, that is a real hard one to break.

I am off to get my picture taken. Our church has a concession stand at the stadium where the Edmonton Eskimos play. They play football in summer here, go figure. Anyway, we are hosting the FIFA world cup under 20 year old soccer tournament. With all the terrorism lately, and the general hooliganism that goes on a soccer, we have to have special photo ID cards to get in.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:46 PM   #67  

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
I didn't mean for it to sound like I do tons of them. lol. I do 300 crunches a day every day so that is my "abs" workout. lol.

WOW...I would love to hear what you consider TONS of crunches. I don't think I could do THIRTY let alone three HUNDRED!! WOW

Love your new avatar too! You look faboo!!
Old 07-05-2007, 07:30 PM   #68  
The Story Re-Written

S/C/G: 384/227/180-235

Height: 6ft 4in

Hi All ~

I have been at my mom's housesitting with a crappy internet connection.

Okay, I heard back from my surgeon's office and the tenderness, I was told, could have been a couple different things. Either my port irritating the tissue above it or possibly the tubing from my band rubbing the tissue there (read: tubing shift). Either way, because I had no redness at the site, no fever and no nausea/vomitting, they were not concerned too much about it. Though I was told if I had any of the above or if the pain got worse to call and they would probably need to see me, however, the pain has disappeared, so I am cool there.

Debbie: With a fill, my doctor injects saline into the port and that fills my band a little. I have been told that there is a possiblity that I may have to have a few of them (they do it a little at a time), before my band is filled to where I am not not able to eat too much and I feel full faster or as my surgeon calls it the "sweet spot". I wasn't having hunger issues for a bit, but I am now, so I will be getting filled when I go to see him on the 17th. I wish your DIL good luck with her surgery. I had a hard time losing the amount of weight that my surgeon wanted me to until I decided that if I was going through all the testing and such for my insurance co. that if I didn't take a proactive stance with it, I was wasting my time as well as everyone elses...but, i do know how hard it was to change my habits even then.

LitChick: I love the sugar-free fudgecicles. I have a box of them in my mother's freezer since I am splitting my time between there and home until next week. I even got my boyfriend hooked on them suckers too.

NotTheCheat: I looked into WW stuff and there was something else in the "diet ice cream" section and they all had about the same amount of carbs in them. I actually opted for sugar-free fudgecicles and the light ice cream. Had a number of carbs that I could deal with. Wow, a year ago, I would never have even cared about carbs and all that that I was putting into my body, but now I tend to get a little obsessed.

I hope everyone had a great 4th. My family and I did. Instead of "traditional" bbq fare, we opted for grilled chicken fajitas. Congrats to you Brenda on such a great milestone of 125lbs gone. And I hope everyone else is doing well.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #69  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippievanlady View Post

We are only as sick as our secrets.
Wow that's a pretty powerful statement that's touched something in me I have to examine. Thank you.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:39 PM   #70  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Yahoo Brenda!
Old 07-06-2007, 07:47 AM   #71  
trying again!

S/C/G: 417/323/185

Height: 5'6"

Thanks guys

not much on the agenda for me today. Having some kashi now and getting ready to go to work. I'm off at 2 then I have to clean clean clean the house. We have let our housekeeper go since we are trying to save for a trip in Aug so now I have to do it myself *L* I hate housework!

other than that, not much. I am going to try and get some exercise in. but vacuuming might be it today!

Have a great OP day!
Old 07-06-2007, 09:00 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 380/Ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

Good Morning Ladies!!

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

Brenda: That is an amazing achievement!!!

Annie: You are such a sweetie! I am not a big fan of pictures (yet), but this was one I liked. (plus I was getting tired of having the same avatar as so many other people-too confusing) Being home for the summer, I can play around and figure things out on the computer...without my kids and thinking I am computer challenged! Oh, and I notice that your avatar has been changing alot lately...you must be having some fun photo shoots!!

Catherine: I hope your package arrives soon. I hate waiting. My UPS man is so cute, so I really enjoy the deliveries! And if any of my "sick secrets" got out, I could no longer be the "respectable" woman people think I am and would have to move !!

Lisa: One thing I have learned here...there are no "failures", only bumps in the road on this journey. Here's some to help you find a "smoother" path!

Ratkitten: I hope your back feels better. I know from experience it is no fun.

Xena: Have you noticed Leslie Sansone's eyebrows in the video? I usually focus on trying to figure out what she did to them instead of the pain I am in!!

We should finally be getting some warmer weather this weekend...a little hotter than I like, but maybe I can finally get in the pool. My foot is still hurting me, and I don't go back until next Weds, so at least I could get some form of movement going by swimming. I am really feeling like a slug lately.

Have a Great OP Weekend Chickies!!
Old 07-06-2007, 09:29 AM   #73  

Good morning Ladies!

I am sneaking some internet time in before the final rush to leave for the weekend. I conned my sister into getting ready while I "look for a recipe on-line" since she takes FOREVER to get ready, even if we are just going out to Wal-Mart. I'm not sure we share the same genes, and we certainly can't share the same jeans.

Catherine-My husband is going to be staying up all night smoking brisket and all kinds of other meats, so I'm pretty sure I would feel cheated if I had a hot dog of any form. And he might see it as grounds for divorce if I asked for a hot dog after he spent all that time and energy. But as a side note, do tofu dogs actually taste good? I've had the low fat ones and turkey dogs, which are fine, but never tried the tofu ones. I do love tofu though...

Anyway, I better get moving before I get busted by my sister. I hope everyone has a great weekend and I'll see you back here next week!!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #74  

Hi all,
Anyone doing anything special for 7-7-07? I'm not particularly compelled by that sort of thing, but I understand lots of people are celebrating and getting married and buying tons of lottery tickets etc.

I'm heading to see a Dancing with the Stars show, as a means to console myself and partner since we can't spend the cash to fly to see Prince in concert in Minneapolis (drats!) ah well. This should be a good (albeit Prince-less) outing, too.

One of the things that checking in here every day does for me is to keep me mindful. Keeps me remembering the goal and all the reasons for it. And all of your triumphs and challenges are so motivating. I hope that one day I can be that motivation for someone, too.

What kinds of plans are you all on? Anything in particular like southbeach or atkins or WW etc, or just counting calories and exercising?

Zest--have a great weekend.

Donna--Swimming is such great exercise. I hope you get the pool time in that you want.

Story--So glad the Dr. isn't worried. And especially happy for you that the tenderness is gone.

Catherine--It seems so surreal to me, all the extra stuff we go through because of the threat of terrorism. I hope the process of getting your pic/new ID was at least fun and not grueling.

Oh---I lost 7lbs

hugs to you all,
Rob
Old 07-06-2007, 01:19 PM   #75  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Misti – I know what you mean about t-shirts and them not being shaped for anyone with a chest. Glad you found a way around that.

Meta – I am so glad you visit to the gym went well! That is great that your son can work out at the same time as you.

Ratkitten – I have some samples of the Biofreeze stuff lying around somewhere. I got them when I bought my exercise ball. I will have to give it a try next time I am having back or neck trouble.

(ugh - I messed up my macros! Dont' know how that happened)

Lisa – Confessing our “failures” can be really powerful. It is when we understand why we do what we do that we can then make changes to try and not make the same mistakes in the future. Hang in there and don’t be too hard on yourself. You are learning new skills and trying to undo years of history. It is no easy task.

Heather – Bicep curling 25 pounds – I am impressed!!

Annie – Every time I think I can’t do some exercise I just need to think about all you are doing. 300 crunches – omg!! I love swimming too and hope to find somewhere I can go.

Catherine – If you are feeling good and the cravings are gone the scale definitely has to catch up to you sooner or later.

TheStory – Those sugar free fudgecicles are pretty good. My problem is that I always want to eat several. I know what you mean about our perceptions changing. My splurge used to be a whole carton of Ben & Jerry’s by myself. Now it is an extra low fat or sugar free popsicle.

Brenda – I have always wanted a housekeeper. I was one when I was younger and it was probably one of my worst jobs ever. It was pretty active though.

Donna – I love your new avatar pic!! Sorry to hear your foot is still hurting.

Zest – That is tough when your DH is doing so much prep with the food. Hopefully you can just have some, tell him how wonderful it was and then fill up on veggies stuff. I too am going to a barbecue tomorrow and it will be tough.

Rob – I count calories and exercise. I find that restrictive plans (i.e. “you can eat this but not this”) send me into a weird mental tailspin. Calorie counting allows me to be flexible so that if I really want something I can work it in. I track using an online site which makes it really easy.

OK – I really shouldn’t be here during the day. I have so much work to do that I will probably be working over the next few weekends, and yet I am here posting. At least I have this as a stress relief and not food. I just need to get a lamp in the room with my computer so that I can actually use it at night. There are so many things I still need to buy, and with work being so crazy I won’t get much shopping time.
Closed Thread