Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 05:14 PM   #61  

Oh guys I KNOW that she'll have her burdens and stuggles too as time goes by...it was just the shock that it took me THREE times as long to lose the same amount. And I know many people gain back after WLS and I know that it's not a quick fix....Which is why I feel a tad ashamed of myself for feeling that way at the time.

back Mary!

Stacy - nice to see you posting here! I don't ever seem to post on the other thread anymore.

I've never heard of alli...I guess it's some kind of WL pill?
Old 07-19-2007, 05:19 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Lilion -- I think it's really normal to feel that way!! It doesn't make you a bad person!
Old 07-19-2007, 05:23 PM   #63  

Thanks Heather - That old green-eyed monster got me was all. After all, I've been eating grilled chicken for two years watching her eat pizza and now she'll be at goal before me....You know how it is.

So what kind of Kashi is good enough to overeat on? I LOVE granola...but haven't eaten it in years because of how fattening it is. I found I don't like Grape-nuts...although I've been thinking of trying Grape-nut flakes. My cereal of choice these days is Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds - LOVE that stuff. Yeah - I could binge on it.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:58 PM   #64  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Lilion, another point of view might be, 27 months after you started, you're still so much better off. So she's at month 7. Where will she be in another 20 months. By then she will have had to learn how to eat for the rest of her life, how to deal with her demons, be they sugars, fats, binges, stresses, whatever. THAT part of the journey you have already faced down. I hope she makes it, because I know she will struggle. I sure understand how you feel, though - like she had magic to help her. But we know that's not true. I think it's wonderful that she appreciated your struggle and success and gave you that card.

Saw someone tonight that hasn't seen me in 4 years. She said I looked great and she couldn't believe it was me because I'd lost so much weight. She's a twig. It was a good feeling that I haven't had in a long time. Made me especially glad to have had a pretty good Day Two. Omlette for breakfast - no toast - and Hunan chicken for lunch and dinner - split between 2 meals. Better. Much better, but with room for improvement. Yes, I did eat PART of the fortune cookie, but more than half went to the dogs. I can live with it.

At least Day Two is no where near as hard as Day One. Not as irritable, although still kind of blah. And OH! The scale was polite enough to drop back down to 286-7 this morning. Boy did THAT help my attitude! Time to remake my ticker I think.

Onward.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:50 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Lilion -- Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal. Slightly sweet, very crunchy. Though, don't say I didn't warn you!!!

Valerie -- I'm glad you had someone remind you how far you've come, even though you're struggling. I'm glad to see you posting here again!!!!
Old 07-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi gals,

I'm really glad not to be going into work today. It will be nice to have a three day weekend.

Miss Daisy slept until 5:30 this morning so that's a good thing! No nighttime drinks.

DH and I are off to meet a new doctor. We both have gone to the same "office" but different doctors/locations for years. However, we feel that the "office" has become too corporate and too big to be getting personalized care. We both have experienced getting the same talks as on multiple visits but it was if it was being said for the first time. So what, is it a canned speech? We're going to meet a female GP that is closer to our new location to see if we like her and want to switch. I was so angry after my last visit where when I mentioned weight gain and got the "welcome to the beginnings of menopause" talk and when the gyno heard about that, she said that wasn't right and to quit eating so much. However, both were flip answers and neither one seemed to really listen to me. What I used to do, ISN'T WORKING for weight loss and what DO I DO NOW if it is indeed perimenopause. I'm not looking for a magic bullet, just some guidance on a different way or maybe something needs to be checked and adjusted medically. Well, that turned ino a rant. Sorry!

I need to go dry my hair and get the doggies corraled. Later!
Old 07-20-2007, 09:44 AM   #67  
MTM

Good morning everyone!

Well, as usual, I had replies all done and my computer decided to have a little fit and I lost it all. How frustrating. Why I just don't reply in word then c & p is beyond me, I guess. Geesh.

Had a decent day foodwise again yesterday--as long as I stay away from carbs as much as possible I seem to usually do okay. Now if I could just start exercising again, but I can't yet. Had a real setback yesterday at the wound care center and sat in the chair and just cried. I'm so frustrated with this thing--I'm really beginning to think I may have to have a skin graft to close it and get on with my life. I'm so tired of the pain and the inability to get back exercising. Guess I'm just feeling sorry for myself today. Sorry.

I know what you mean about finding a new pcp Terri. I've seen this new one twice, and I am still just not crazy about him, but the other one I had been going to just got so big that he just doesn't have time like he used to. I hope I can get used to this new doctor. I'm trying.

We got some much needed rain last night and it's only going to be 76 today and down to 51 tonight. Time to open some windows and get some fresh air in the house. I think I'll go to work for a while, too, since the air conditioner unexplainedly quit working there and I can't go in and work too long when it's so humid because of my leg. Today should be fairly comfortable, though I can't open any windows (glass block).

Everyone have a good day today!

Charlotte
Old 07-20-2007, 11:24 AM   #68  

Talking

Good Morning Ladies!

I'm pleased to report I'm past my fit of jealousy and back to feeling happy for my co-worker, if a little embarassed by my

I was OP yesterday! Ended my day with 25 1/2 pts! Right where I should be and even had some trail mix for a snack. I'm quite pleased and feeling like I can get back on track.

OH! And I had the BEST dinner last night too! DH had pre-cooked a big chicken breast and I cut two long slits in it and stuffed in Laughing Cow Garlic and Herb Cheese, topped it with a slice of low-fat ham and some 2% colby jack cheese then just re-heated it through in the oven - YUM! I also baked two little Yukon Gold potatoes and steamed fresh green beans from my garden - we split the breast between us and it was great! My friend had a vegetable steamer/rice cooker in the garage sale and it didn't sell so I tried that last night for the green beans and they came out perfect! So I guess it sold after all because I'm buying it from her. I've tried steaming them in the microwave twice with no luck, but this thing is great!

Speaking of the garden - MY TOMATOES ARE RIPE! I'm SO happy that my yellow tomatoes are turning as are my Roma's! I'm having a bit of trouble with the red ones, as it's in the middle of the tomato jungle and I think they aren't getting enough light. I've actually given away zucchini and I've eaten green beans twice. I have a ton of basil dried and more to do and really need to get to the oregano and rosemary! I have two little melons getting bigger and my cucumbers are coming right along! I love my tiny little garden!

Okay, this has taken way too long!
Terri- enjoy your long weekend! Glad Daisy let you sleep thru the night!

Charlotte: I'm so sorry your leg is still giving you all this trouble. You'd think they could do something about it!

Valerie- sounds like you are back on track my friend! Doesn't it feel great when people notice? But my problem is it feels too good - I get the "I must be done" feeling going then!

Heather - Going to have to try that - or maybe not. I hate when I find a new healthy cereal that I can't eat a lot of because of the calories...I'll read the lable first. Raisin Bran Crunch and those Quacker Oat Squares with the cinnamony insides come to mind!

Got to run ladies! Take care and have a good one!

OH! Nearly forgot!
HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS COMES OUT TONIGHT!
Old 07-20-2007, 11:26 AM   #69  

OMG I can't belive I almost lost that post! I hit preview instead of submit and then went on to surf the internet! When I popped back here for a second and saw it wasn't there I just kept hitting the "BACK" button until my reply showed up and then I hit submit! I can't believe that worked!!!!
Old 07-20-2007, 12:46 PM   #70  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

Well, I've had a couple of bad days. Not too bad on eating, although I didn't even manage to log for two days in a row. But I also didn't exercise yesterday. And then, after two days of being slack, my scale was down several pounds this morning. LOL. I know that does not mean I should continue to be slack. This was the loss I should have had a week ago, when I'd been working hard for about two weeks and seeing no change. So today I'll try to get back on the exercise track and log my darn food, despite the fact that I'm going to a baby shower. Oh I hate trying to log after events like that. Anyone have any idea how many ounces of cheese a square about the size to top a cracker would be???

Valerie--CONGRATS TO YOU ON DAYS ONE AND TWO!!!! It's good to see you back.

Lilion--No need to feel ashamed. I certainly understand how you feel. I don't want to do bypass, but I do sometimes think about it as if it were a magic bullet. Glad you're feeling better and WTG for being OP yesterday!

Mary--Welcome back!

Terri--I just heard a report on NPR last week or so about a study about doctor's listening skills. Guess what--they're lousy!
Old 07-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #71  

S/C/G: tight 26/26/14

Valerie - Congrats on making day two! I'm not giving up chinese food, so I can relate to your menu. Of course with 6 people here there is NO splitting it between two meals. I just eat less and the teenage boys finish it off.

wyllenn - I like the Go Lean Crunch too. I chose it over the other variety of Kashi because I didn't think i wanted to eat "fiber twigs". What a bleck name. Anyway, I think I ended up with the good kind.

Terri - I hope you find a GP you like. It's a pain when all you get are stock answers, but no real information.

Charlotte - are you close to Cincinnati? I ask because there is a really really really cool balloon thing going on there in November. World's record attempt for a balloon sculpture.

Lilion - thanks for the welcome! I'm jealous of your tomatos. I have been able to grow any for the past couple of years. My trees got to big and blocked all the sunlight for the tomato patch. My blackberries are good this year though! And mint. Lots and lots and lots of mint.

Valerie - isn't one ounce of cheese about the size of a pair of dice? I've heard that before. Cheese is my big weakness, so I'm still avoiding it in anything but mozzarella stick form. Pre-measured is good for me with cheese. Congrats on the scale dropping! I guess it wanted to surprise you.

In 4 weeks my oldest leaves for college. I started thinking about that last night. It's a good thing I didn't have any snack food in the house! I would have plowed through it. Turning 40 didn't bother me, entering menopause didn't bother me. My baby leaving the house is going to bother me. How fair is it that by the time they get old enough for you to relate to in some way other than as parent - they move out??? I have 10 years before all of my children are ready to college, so I'm far from an empty nest. Still, my daughter is someone I enjoy spending time with. I've been lucky, we have a close relationship, and her college dorm is only 25 min away but she's going to be GONE!! Yep, not going to buy any snack food for the next few months. Well, some apples and grapes, but no junk 'cause I *will* eat it.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:26 PM   #72  

Hi all -

Balloon lady - two of my babies are going to college this fall, too. I agree just when they become human beings - off they go. Where is your daughter going? My son is going Maryland and my daughter to Madrid. I am having all sorts of nightmares about her because she has a deathly allergy to shellfish and she's going to place where the national dish is Paella. I've making her practice in Spanish saying that she had a horrible allergy and if she eats shellfish she'll die!

Ok cereal lovers - Grape Nuts Trail Mix Crunch Cereal. It's not as dense as regular grape nuts, but still crunchy. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Lilion - Your frustration is perfectly understandable! I'd have a bit of the green-eyed monster going myself. And your garden sounds amazing. M What do the yellow ones taste like?

I've got my Harry Potter book on hold and must confess to searching the internet for spoilers. I'll keep my mouth shut though. Some were clearly fake, but somethings I read I think are true. I always read the last chapter of a book first - doesn't really spoil it for me. I enjoy seeing how the author got there.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Baseball season is almost over and hopefully things are settling down with my husband's family. Things would be a lot smoother there if he'd just use his words and talk to his sisters. I don't want to be the translator I told him that last night - use your words. He laughed, so I hope he does it.

So I am back on plan and will get to exercising today and I am going to make up for some lost time the rest of this summer.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:07 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies,

We're back home after a full day away.

We had a great visit with the new doctor. We saw her individually and both loved her. She not that long out of med school it looks and I like that. She and I had a very good discussion about age, weight, belly fat, stress, exercise, hormones, and this time I walked away with hope rather than feeling defeated. I have to get back to my regular cardio exercise except it has to be that I work up to 30 minutes of intense, sweat-inducing exercise each day. Not 90 minutes like the other doctor said. And that's not half asleep or 10 minutes warming up then 10 minutes intense then 10 minutes tired again either. The other thing I am going to do is work with her by going in every 30 days for a weigh in and review to see what's working and what's not. She said we can do that for six months and then, if its not working and I've been committed about it, we'll discuss lap-band. Which really isn't the route I want to go however, its not being thrown out as a my first option as the gyno doctor did. She also did suggest a modified version of South Beach since my weight is more in the belly fat. She didn't think I would have to be that strict but to really pay attention to reducing the starchy carbs. So while all this isn't exactly earth-shatteringly new to me, it at least felt like someone was willing to talk with me and not be flipping off stupid answers.

We had lunch out and ran a few errands. New shoes for DH. Can you believe I went into Dillard's and didn't buy anything for myself???? I spent my money at the tack store and bought a new headstall (bridle) for riding Spanky and Phoenix. While there, we ran into Richard & Linda, the couple where we used to board our horses while we were looking for a place of our own. We think in the end, he ripped us off and cheated us on buying a horse so we've not had any contact since we moved. He had called and wanted to come down and see us but somehow I forgot to send him a note with directions to our place. A little bit awkward and I sent him outside to talk to DH for the directions because he brought it up again. He's also the breeder where we bought Spanky and Phoenix. I told DH it was his fault because if he'd have not taken the scenic route to Dillard's I would have been out of the tack store when Richard came in.

Lilion - We've been having tomatoes for about three weeks now. Our zucchini is a little on the slow side though. Our roma, grape and cherry plants are loaded. However they are not reblooming much so not sure if we'll be done too soon or not. Now I'm thinking next year, we need to spread the plantings out over a month or so. Glad that the monster attack was short-lived and it didn't get you down for long. It happens and you're human.

Good job on having a good OP days. DH has been buying fresh green beans at Sam's club. They are in two bags that can be microwaved and it steams them in the bag. OMG, they are so good with a little spray butter and salt/pepper.

Luja - Men just aren't good at using their words. If they did, life would be so much easier for us all. Madrid - WOW. That's a big move and change. What will she be studying in Madrid?

Stacey - Yes, you better keep the red flag foods out of the house for awhile until you've adjusted to your girl being away.

Angela - How was the baby shower? For me, it would be the cake and nuts that would be a problem. I'd say 1 oz or less on the cheese depending on how thick its sliced.

Charlotte - It sucks when you've worked on a long post and then lose it. Good job on being OP too.

Valerie - Great to see that the scale is being a little nicer to you. And for you having good food days. You've got a good start going.

Ruth - Hope your mom is doing okay and you're okay too.

to everyone! I should post this before I hit the backspace key too quick and lose it.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:43 PM   #74  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

I would have sworn I posted here last night, but I don't see anything, so I must have just been having a senior hellucination.

What I would have said was that my friend's dog (great dane) was making me crazy. I was trying to dog-sit her @ my house so she'd have company, but my house just isn't big enough for that much slobber, wiggle, pace and woof. I'll stick to my little herding dogs and such.

Today is going really well - food wise, lesson wise, weather wise, attitude wise. It's just a lovely day. I'm glad to be alive, glad to have this 'second' chance (even if it's chance # 9204 or something like that.)

I wish each of you the resolve to do what you feel you should, and sunshine to do it in.

... Terri, are you riding today???
Old 07-21-2007, 05:10 PM   #75  

S/C/G: tight 26/26/14

luja-my daughter is going to UMKC. She wants to study technical theater and it is a good school for that. Best of all, it's close to home. It's 25 min away from the house, but only about 5 min away from work for me. My next out of the nest is considering Berklee School of Music which is on the east coast. He'll have to work hard to get in. He's got the talent, it remains to be seen if he's got the drive.

terri - I'm glad you found a doc that makes you feel good. Too bad there's not more of them that do that.

I just got off of work. It was a great day, but I am a bit sunburned. We didn't have any paid gigs today, so we were busking (working for tips) at the city market. Tips were good, the people were happy and we only had a couple of "I was in line first" problems. If there is one thing my job is good for, it's your ego. Spend 5 min making balloons for people and you will get all sorts of ego stroking. Even if it's just a dog. Probably why I like my job so much. I did have a good experience that was related to my exercises today too. I *easily* squatted down to talk to a small child and stood back up without problem. That hasn't happened in awhile. It felt good. I even managed to work some cheese into my diet for the day. I love cheese and there is a farmer that makes really good cheese for the Saturday market. I was good and didn't over indulge. Only down part of my day is that the van broke down yesterday, so we have to drive the old rickety truck with no air today. But because something is on my side it's a full 10degrees cooler than it was last week, so I was able to deal.

Off to shower before the gym. Even though I know I'll have to do it again afterwards. I just can't go when I feel sticky and gross.
Closed Thread