Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 01:21 PM   #46  
MTM

Well, I'm back...AGAIN!! I have got to discipline myself to not only continue on losing weight, but to continue coming here and reading all these inspiring posts.

Still having trouble with this leg of mine, but according to a new doctor I've begun seeing at the Wound Care Center, I'm very close to healing. I've had to stop riding my bike and walking for exercise because it seems to inhibit the healing, so, of course, I've gained back about 14 pounds of my hard lost 50 or so that I've lost. I do so much better eating when I can exercise. I have been doing well the past week or so since I've come back here to lurk.

Heather--you have pugs??!!? I've had one for 9 1/2 years--Raymond--and I swear I would never buy another breed after this boy. It's so hard to see him getting old, though. He's having back problems (slipped disk) and apparently there's nothing the vet can do. We give him a steroid every other day which seems to help, but it makes him pant for a couple hours, which is really annoying in a pug!! How many do you have? Seems most people that have pugs have more than one, but we never got another--Raymond is really an alpha dog and I just could never bring myself to get another because he's so sure he's the only dog on the earth!!

There are quite a few new faces here since I've posted, and I miss seeing Valerie's posts!

Everyone have a good OP day!!

Charlotte
Old 07-17-2007, 03:26 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Charlotte -- I know what you mean. I simply adore my puggies and can't imaging getting another breed! We have 2. Othello is 7 and Hamlet is 2. Othello's been having some allergy and hip problems lately. It's so hard to watch him struggle to walk! Luckily, the meds seem to be working and he's trotting around like a young'un again.

We got Hammie in part to keep Othello company, but in retrospect, it was a bad idea. While Othello was never an "alpha" dog, he WAS king of the house, and he gets "jealous" of Hammie quite a bit, even today. Also, Othello has never been much of a "player" while poor Hammie always wants to try to involve him in play. *sigh*

Welcome back!!!!
Old 07-17-2007, 05:47 PM   #48  
Vortex

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/???

My scale is so inconsistent I don't know what I weigh. I don't know if the battery's going or if it's just inconsistent because I'm close to the top of its calibration. I'm either down a couple pounds or not. I'm not moving the slider until I'm more confident that I'm really down a little. BUT I AM GOING TO STAY OP TODAY. I AM, I AM, I AM.

My students were giving presentations today, so one of them decided to bring in chocolate chip cookies. Did I even think before I took one and ate it? No. Luckily it'll fit into my calories for the day if I'm careful. I'm going to go to Subway, and I have a peach in the fridge waiting for me, so this will work.

Hope everyone's Tuesday is great!

Luja--You should rent your son out as a personal trainer! He sounds so healthy. Hope things go well with your MIL.

Lilion--YAHOO!! on selling the fat clothes!

Charlotte--Hello... think we've passed in the night a few times in the past. Welcome back.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:49 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

to all.

I am going to have to get some claritan and start taking it at night. My summer allergies are kicking in and making it harder to get up and focused in the morning. So, I'm running late.

Lilion - Loved your blog. And you're not a copycat! I like it because it is somewhere I can go talk to myself and it helps alleviate the constant dialog on my head. Time to get your butt in gear! Set a date and get moving again.

Charlotte - Great to see you again! Sorry that you're having to give up exercise for a bit but get that leg healed!
Sorry for not doing more personals. I'll catch up this week. Tonight is Spanky riding and swimming.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:30 AM   #50  

Good Morning Ladies!

Just a fly-by today. I'm swamped and HAVE to try to stay off the net except for lunch!

Terri - Thanks. Obviously, I liked your blog too, or I wouldn't have started mine. I agree, I think it will be a good place to just ramble on so I don't bore the world with everything in my head. As for getting to it - I stayed OP yesterday - even turning down trail mix as a snack my DH offered. No exercise yet - but I'm working on it - s*l*o*w*l*y! I have to start getting my big butt out of bed before 6:45 in the morning first!

Angela - Good for you! and Good luck being OP today. It can be SO hard, huh? One cookie does not a non-OP day make!

Ruth - Still thinking of you and your mom!

Charlotte - Welcome Back!!!

I hate that so many are missing! Karen, Valerie, Barbara - and many more - we miss you!!!

Must run!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:33 AM   #51  

Lilion -- I sympathize with the feeling of slipping. Happened to me this spring and I gained back 7 pounds, and yet it took a while for me to get back on track to lose.

At first, frankly, all I could seem to do was just pull myself back from gaining to maintaining. Then, after a while, I've finally moved to rededicating myself to LOSING those stupid pounds!

So, just baby step it back!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:58 AM   #52  
MTM

Good morning everyone!

Terri~~my kids all struggle with allergies. I'm so lucky I have no problems with any. My daughter uses Nasonex and loves it, and my youngest son use Flonase and also loves it. They both have bad allergies, and my son has severe sinus problems. Have you ever tried either of those? They both swear by them. Very little blowing their nose every morning for an hour anymore.

I'm enjoying your blog too...in fact, it inspired me to start one of my own...but I haven't had the courage to post in it yet! I had a long rambling post going, but I chickened out and deleted it. I really do want to start mine--maybe I'll do that at work this afternoon. Or play spider solitaire. Or maybe I'll even work!

Angela~~I hear you about the scale. Mine is the same way. Drives me nuts. I have to stay off of it for at least a couple days or I'm going to throw mine out the window.

Heather~~What kind of medicine do they have Othello on? Sounds to me like you need to get another pug to keep Hamlet company! Three wouldn't be bad!! Do yours shed a lot? Raymond seems to be shedding less as he gets older, but when he was a youngster, he reminded me of a Christmas tree losing its' needles! What color are your boys?

You're such a great cheerleader Heather! It's wonderful to read your posts because every one of them is so positive. Thank you!

Lilion~~I see where Valerie posted on the 300+ thread. So we know she's around! I think I need to set a short term goal for myself. It seems if I look at the big picture that it just depresses me. I think I'll try to do that today, too.

Ruth~~I hope things are going okay for you and your family. It's so difficult to have to watch one of your parents getting old, isn't it?

Had a reasonably good day yesterday--went out with my friends last night to a fantastic Mexican restaurant for dinner, and I'm pretty happy with what I ate. They could have taken the chips away a little sooner, though! Have a good OP day everyone.

Charlotte
Old 07-18-2007, 12:24 PM   #53  

Charlotte -- Both of ours are fawn colored -- what about Raymond?? And boy do they shed! Especially Othello! There are certain clothes that I put on right before I leave and take off as soon as I get home because they are fur magnets!

Othello is on atopica for his allergies, and carprofen for the arthritis in his hip. He literally went from hobbling every day, to most often unfettered steps! We also have him on a glucosamine/chrondroiten mix, but I don't know how that's contributing as it can take weeks to show improvement, and I don't know if we'd see it, as he's moving so much better!

As for a third, I can't see it happening! Ours sleep with us and often lay on us when we're home. It's hard enough to position 2, much less 3!!! And walking 2 is hard enough, I don't want to master a 3rd!

Good for you for eating well at Mexican. I find that to be a hard cuisine for me to be "healthy". I can't have 1 chip, because then I would inhale them all! And so much cheese on everything!
Old 07-18-2007, 10:32 PM   #54  
aka Valerie

S/C/G: 350/345/195

Hello my long lost friends... Oh, it was me that was lost, wasn't it?

I'm in panic mode, and I have to get back here and get with the program. It's illuded me for months, but we never quit trying, do we??? I see as I've tried to catch up on the thread that many of the Moms and MILs have been ill, and my heart goes out to each of you. My own is down in Florida, and of course I worry, but so far she's doing pretty good.

I also see that I'm not the only one trying to re-grasp control. I'm back up to... well, I jumped off when it looked like it was going to say 292, so I'll just say 291. That hurt because I'd seen it hit 289 and I'd been good for a few days, or thought I had. I really expected it to drop that day, but it was UP by 2-3 pounds... and over another ten pound mark. I was - am - mortified! It's so close to... (insert Jaws music)... you know.

It makes me so sad to see any of you having a similar struggle, and at the same time makes me feel less alone and less hopeless. I know YOU can make it back to the straight and narrow, so it encourages me and maybe takes a little pressure off. I hope that doesn't sound terrible. I would never wish this problem on anyone (OK, except for my evil SD.) I just have so much confidence and faith in everyone here, that I have faith also that you'll take me with you.

I'm glad to be back. I've missed you all! Terri - I'm so glad you're riding Spanky!! You're living the dream!!! Lilion - I know you'll take that bugger of an atty down a peg next time, and he won't get to you. Charlotte - You're right, we Buckeye's are made of sterner stuff! Angela, Ruth, Heather, Luja, Julie - I'm looking forward to catching up with all of you!!

I hate to say this, but yes, today was yet another (sigh) Day One. I'm going to bed now, before I blow it.

(Get thee behind me, O evil loaf of bread!)
Old 07-18-2007, 11:56 PM   #55  

valerie -- I hope you did indeed put the evil bread behind you. While you stick it there, could you put my kashi with it? I opened a new box and overindulged tonight. I just love it when you open a box and there's all these big kashi-clumps!

But, I don't think I ruined my whole day, and certainly not my whole week. So, I wrote it down (though the weight of it was a guess!).

Moving on. Nothing to see here...
Old 07-19-2007, 08:27 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 278/267.2/180

Height: 5'7"

Good morning,

Its my Friday!

Not much to say this morning now that I've started this. I'm still hanging in there and feeling pretty good about my week and ramblings in my blog. We had a very summer dinner last night. Fresh cucumbers, onions and tomatoes from the garden and tuna salad and crackers. Loved it. And I felt so much better than I do after a big meal of heavy food.

I have to get Miss Daisy on a better night time routine. She wanted up at midnight so I let her and Duke out for a few minutes but made them go back to their crates. No screaming like a banshee (that would be Daisy's puppy voice). At 3:30 she wanted outside again. This time I laid down on the couch while they played. They didn't play long and were soon asleep on the floor. I woke up at 5:00 and headed off to bed before the alarm went off. Daisy followed me and willingly fell asleep in bed with me. I should have made them go back to their crates at 3:30. My sleep disruptions this week have been killer on my morning exercise.

to everyone. Great to see you Valerie. Take a deep breath and one foot in front of the other. No need to panic. Just determination and resolve.

Have a great day gals!
Old 07-19-2007, 10:00 AM   #57  

Good Morning Ladies!

TERRI!!! I've been missing you!!!! I'm sorry you've had problems and gains, but I'm sooo glad you are back!

Terri - Hmmm, is Miss Daisy ruling the roost? Sounds like you need some tough love!

Heather - Something about binging on Kashi just sounds....off.

Charlotte - My "go-to" Mexican food is seafood fajitas. About the only thing I can think of that's relatively low-fat. I've got a huge passion for chips and guacamole.

This getting back on track thing is hard, isn't it? I had such good intentions yesterday, then DH and DS and I decided to see Harry Potter. I planned the 10 pts of buttered popcorn. I was taken by surprise when I learned my TWO McDonald's grilled snack wraps were 6 pts EACH! But then there was the plaintive little cry from the back seat...."DAIRY QUEEN!!!", which, God forbid, we ignore. So ANOTHER 15 pts of ice cream and I've used all but 7 of my flex pts...with a full 6 days left to my week. Talk about sabotage....

But life goes on.

Today I asked a work collegue who had gastric bypass in January how much she's lost. 110 lbs! I should be happy for her. I should be glad she's finally ridding herself of the weight after many failed attempts. I should remember how, several years ago, she lost as much on ReDux only to have it taken off the market and her weight all come back plus and should feel good for her successes.

Instead all I could think was, "SEVEN MONTHS? IT TOOK ME TWENTY-SEVEN MONTHS TO LOSE THAT MUCH! And I'm STILL struggling every day and I'm gaining every time I don't pay attention and I'll have to struggle every day for the rest of my LIFE not to gain it back and IT'S NOT FAIR! " This same person is the one who left me a card several months ago that I've still got on my bulletin board that is all about how she's watched me work at exercising and making myself healthier and how proud she is of me. Yeah, I'm a bad person. Feeling sorry for myself today and jealous of her instead of just taking responsibility for myself.

I'm supposed to do all this venting in the blog, huh?
Old 07-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #58  
mary

S/C/G: 306

Hi Everyone! I am back in the saddle AGAIN! I made my trip to Cancun in may FIT IN THE PLANE YIPEE!!!! I have fallen WAY downhill since my trip. I haven't been excerising and eating like a pig...NO MORE, I started again today, walked and going to swim when I get home. I haven't GAINED since May, but I haven't lost either. I am thinking of trying the Alli pill had anyone tried that at all???? Let me know!
Old 07-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #59  

Lilion -- vent here! It's a good place for that!

As for your colleague, she's going to have struggles too -- we ALL are! Maybe you can band together and form a support group!

And yes, binging on kashi is... well, not as bad as it could be, but let me just say that it could become a serious problem!

Marree -- Welcome back!!!

I haven't tried it and am not considering it (I already eat a low fat diet and exercise, there's not much for it to help as it blocks fat), but there is a support group for people on alli -- check out "general diet plans".

There was also an interesting thread on alli in the "Does it Work" section early on that talked more about pros/cons of alli (while the support thread is for support!). My sense is that it can work as a tool, but it's costly, and has significant side effects, and you have to eat right when you are on it or suffer the side effects.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:56 PM   #60  

S/C/G: tight 26/26/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn View Post
valerie -- I hope you did indeed put the evil bread behind you. While you stick it there, could you put my kashi with it? I opened a new box and overindulged tonight. I just love it when you open a box and there's all these big kashi-clumps!
I'm that way with grape-nuts. I love the stuff and had a bit too much today. Looks like a light supper for me.

maree - I've started taking the alli pill a few weeks ago. There's tons of information on it in the forum wyllenn mentioned. I don't find myself needing it as much anymore. I'm eating a lot more lower fat than I used to. Fat is my big weakness, so it was good for me. My friend eats low fat, but too much sugar - alli wouldn't help her at all. So far zero side effects for me, but they can be nasty if you don't watch what you eat. It's a tool, not miracle.

Lilion - vent away. Better to say it here than at work. From what I've heard WLS isn't always a forever fix either. Patients have to work to change their lives or they regain. You've worked hard and look how far you've come. I'm so impressed.

Last edited by balloonlady; 07-19-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Closed Thread