Old 01-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #1  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

Talking What's for dinner?

Yey, I'm starting a thread! Anyways, I'm not sure if anyone else does this, but almost every day I search for recipes to make for dinner, be it that day or in the future. I have 1,000's of them saved, lol, and I was thinking - gee, wouldn't it be great to share some of these with my fellow 30 something's? I bet they too have a 'what the crap should i make for dinner' moments sometimes...

So here, I'm going to post what I'm making for dinner. I'll start with last night and then I'll post tonight. Join if you'd like!!

Last night:

http://www.marthastewart.com/316179/...mp-and-noodles

Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 ounces thin spaghetti (I made a 3/4 a box for the two of us. DH isn't "changing" lol.)
2 tablespoons orange marmalade (I used sugar free.)
1 tablespoon soy sauce (I used kikoman low sodium.)
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon red-wine vinegar (I didn't have this, so I used rice wine vinegar!)
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (I used the squeeze tube kind!)
6 ounces medium shrimp (I used 12 shrimps total, for the 2 of us!)
1 small yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips (I used yellow, green and red peppers!)
2 scallions, thinly sliced (I used onions!)

Directions
In a medium pot of boiling salted water, cook spaghetti until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain; return to pot.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together marmalade, soy sauce, oil, vinegar, and ginger. Season with salt and pepper. Add shrimp, bell pepper, and scallions; toss to combine. Transfer to a rimmed (or toaster-oven) baking sheet, and spread in a single layer. Heat broiler (or toaster oven). Broil, 4 inches from heat source, until shrimp are opaque throughout, about 3 minutes. Transfer contents of baking sheet to pot; toss with pasta to combine.

I used already cooked shrimps and added them in at the end, tails removed. I also added a little basil, as I like the heat that it brings in to dishes at the end. I added a ton of red pepper flakes, too, because I eat things very spicy.. but to my own dish only, DH'll cry... lol...

We ate it with a spinach salad with onions, peppers and tomatoes! Delish!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #2  
is super awesome.

Tonight:

You think you don't like cauliflower? Think again. DH and I will eat an entire head, lol...

Side dish one:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recip...uliflower.html

Ingredients:
1 head cauliflower, about 1 1/2 lb., cored and cut into florets about 1 inch in diameter
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil (I use butter-Pam and spray it into a ziplock baggie)
1/2 tsp. kosher salt (totally needed!)

Directions:
Preheat an oven to 400°F.

Arrange the cauliflower florets in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil evenly over the florets, then sprinkle with the salt. Toss to coat the cauliflower evenly, then spread the florets out evenly.

Roast the cauliflower, stirring 1 or 2 times, until golden brown and crisp-tender, 25 to 35 minutes. Transfer the cauliflower to a warmed serving bowl. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

-------------

I use butter-Pam, like I said, and I put 2 or 3 toes of garlic in there too. I end up roasting for 25/30 mins, depending on how dark I want them. Broccoli is also AMAZING this way!

Side dish two:
http://www.food.com/recipe/kale-with...d-garlic-51780

I love kale.

1 bunch kale , washed and torn (stems removed)
1 small onion , chopped
3 garlic cloves , chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
balsamic vinegar (optional)

Directions:
1Heat oil in large pan. Remove stems from kale.
2Add chopped onions and garlic.
3Sauté until onions are clear and begin to caramelize. Stir often. Do not allow garlic to burn.
4Add torn kale.
5Toss with onions and garlic.
6Cook until kale is wilted.
7Sprinkle with a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar if desired.

I don't use the balsamic vinegar, I don't care for it. I also use Pam, not oil. Super tasty.

Main dish!
http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-meatloaf-54752

2 tablespoons butter (or margarine) (I use Pam!)
1 cup onion , chopped
3 cloves garlic , minced (only 3, LOL)
1 1/4 lbs ground turkey (I use 1lb)
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (I have used panko, bread crumbs, fiber one, lol...)
1 egg (or 1/4 cup egg substitute) (I use egg whites!)
3/4 cup catsup (I've used ketchup and tomato sauce, even salsa!)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:
1Melt butter in a skillet.
2Cook onion and garlic in melted butter for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3Place mixture in a large bowl to cool for 5 minutes.
4Combine turkey, bread crumbs, egg, 1/4 cup of the catsup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper with onion mixture.
5Press meatloaf into an 8x4-inch loaf pan.
6Spread remaining catsup on top.
7Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50-55 minutes.
8(Internal temperature should reach 165 degrees.) Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.

I don't generally let it bake that long, because I don't have a loaf pan, I use a caserole dish, so it's thinner.. like meatloaf strips, LOL... Anyways, all tasty and all healthy.

Last edited by kateleestar; 01-24-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #3  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I'm experimenting with the pressure cooker I bought last winter. Last night I chunked up pork chops and marinated them in speidie sauce. I stuck the meat in the pressure cooker with some sliced peppers & onions, and cooked some frozen green beans on the stove. My new favorite seasonings are smoked salts and infused olive oils - the green beans got applewood smoked salt and basil olive oil.

Tonight I'm working late, so dinner will be last night's leftovers eaten at work.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #4  
is super awesome.

I love smoked salts!! And crap, I want a pressure cooker. Does it save you time, do you find?

Hhm.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/180/150ish

Height: 5'5"

Great thread! Pressure cookers save enormous amounts of time. My parents have one and my dad made chicken noodle soup in like 9 minutes! And it tasted like it stewed in a crock pot all day. Very impressive. I also search for recipes every day. I love trying new things. I am going to try your first recipe up there.

LIME CHICKEN TACOS
serves 10

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast meat - cubed
* 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
* 1/2 lime, juiced
* 1 teaspoon white sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 2 green onions, chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 10 (6 inch) flour tortillas
* 1 tomato, diced
* 1/4 cup shredded lettuce
* 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
* 1/4 cup salsa

Directions

1. Saute chicken in a medium saucepan over medium high heat for about 20 minutes. Add vinegar, lime juice, sugar, salt, pepper, green onion, garlic and oregano. Simmer for an extra 10 minutes.
2. Heat an iron skillet over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the pan, warm, and turn over to heat the other side. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Serve lime chicken mixture in warm tortillas topped with tomato, lettuce, cheese and salsa.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 204 | Total Fat: 6.8g
KayNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #6  
is super awesome.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayNicole View Post
Great thread! Pressure cookers save enormous amounts of time. My parents have one and my dad made chicken noodle soup in like 9 minutes! And it tasted like it stewed in a crock pot all day. Very impressive. I also search for recipes every day. I love trying new things. I am going to try your first recipe up there.
Make sure you double the sauce stuff, her site lists it for like, serves 2, lol... We added more soy sauce at the end, too. And I'm so adding 'pressure cooker' to my list that of wants that currently includes 'dutch oven'... lol.

And YUM, chicken tacos! I'm stealing that!

Last edited by kateleestar; 01-24-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190.2/178.4/150

Height: 5'5

I have been eating leftovers for days (funeral this weekend, ended up with a ton of food!) so I really want something new. Tonight I am doing steak fajitas and chips with gucamole. I haven't tried this fajita recipe yet-

Steak Fajitas

Ingredients
•1 Tbsp vegetable oil
•1 lb of flank steak, skirt steak or carne asada
•1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced with the grain, not against the grain as one would normally slice an onion. Slice first in half, and then slice off sections a half inch wide at widest point.
•2-3 bell peppers of various colors, stemmed, seeded, de-ribbed, sliced lengthwise into strips
•Salt

Marinade:

•Juice of 1 lime
•2 Tablespoons of olive oil
•2 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
•1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
•1/2 fresh Jalapeño pepper, seeded, ribs removed, finely chopped •1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, including stems
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/steak_fajitas/

My Easy Gucamole (measurements are approximate, I just throw it all together until it looks right)
2-3 avocados mashed
2 T store bought salsa (I use Kroger brand medium)
2 T finely diced red onion
options- 1 T cilantro, finely minced jalapeno (fresh or pickled)
Jelma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #8  
is super awesome.

I love fajitas... thats one of my always have the stuff for dinners... with corn tortillas, too, its like I'm eating a ton of stuff for so few calories! I love cilantro! Now I want fajitas. Maybe thursday!
Old 01-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Oh man, I do this everyday too!

Tonight I plan on making either enchilada caser-ole' or Mexican pizzas (both found on pinterest and either one I make will be healthified )

Mexican Pizza

Casser-ole'
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #10  

It's nice to know I am not the only one out there obsessed with finding new recipes and cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateleestar View Post
I love fajitas... thats one of my always have the stuff for dinners... with corn tortillas, too, its like I'm eating a ton of stuff for so few calories! I love cilantro! Now I want fajitas. Maybe thursday!
I love corn tortillas. I always used to use flour ones but the calorie difference and taste won me over Plus the market down the street from me has homemade ones for $1 and you get probably 15 of them!
Old 01-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 198/180/150ish

Height: 5'5"

looks like we are on a Mexican kick. All of this sounds really great, I can't wait to try some of them.

I am sorry to hear about the funeral Jelma.

Mammasita- I love allrecipes, the reviews are so helpful on that site.

Have you ladies tried skinnytaste.com? There are some really great recipes on there!
KayNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 231.0/193.6/185.9

Oh this is a great thread!!!!

Dinner tonight is Antonia Lofaso's chicken meatloaf recipe (I cut the fat by using 1/2 chicken and 1/2 turkey):

via Epicurious and People magazine:

2 lbs. ground lean chicken breast
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 Tbs. chopped marjoram
1 Tbs. chopped parsley
1 Tbs. chopped garlic
2 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 Tbs. ketchup
Salt and pepper
preparation
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. Combine chicken, tomato paste, marjoram, parsley, garlic, onion, Worcestershire sauce, eggs, salt and pepper in a bowl. Place mixture in a nonstick loaf pan; spread ketchup on top.
3. Bake uncovered for about an hour or until meatloaf is firm to the touch in the center. Let meatloaf settle for to minutes before serving.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...#ixzz1kPkZQACS
shanhat81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #13  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateleestar View Post
I love smoked salts!! And crap, I want a pressure cooker. Does it save you time, do you find?

Hhm.
I am loving the pressure cooker. I discovered that the recipes are a little misleading - you really don't "make" chicken marsala in 15 minutes - you have to brown the chicken, add all the other ingredients, wait for the cooker to come up to pressure, cook it for 15 minutes, let it rest, release the pressure, then thicken the sauce. That said, it opens up lots of possibilities for meals that I would never cook on a worknight. (I work til 6 or 7pm most nights.) I can even make meatloaf in it!

I also love my crock pot - I love coming home to dinner's ready.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayNicole View Post
looks like we are on a Mexican kick. All of this sounds really great, I can't wait to try some of them.

I am sorry to hear about the funeral Jelma.

Mammasita- I love allrecipes, the reviews are so helpful on that site.

Have you ladies tried skinnytaste.com? There are some really great recipes on there!
Thanks, it my was my boyfriend's mother She was sick for a few years.

I love, love skinnytaste!

The fajitas from last night turned out delicious though I probably could have cut back on the oil just a bit.

Thinking of fried rice for dinner since I have leftover rice. I found this on allrecipes.com, it looks like a nice basic recipe I could jazz up a bit

Ingredients
2 cups enriched white rice
4 cups water
2/3 cup chopped baby carrots
1/2 cup frozen green peas
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 eggs
soy sauce to taste
sesame oil, to taste (optional)
Directions
1.In a saucepan, combine rice and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
2.In a small saucepan, boil carrots in water about 3 to 5 minutes. Drop peas into boiling water, and drain.
3.Heat wok over high heat. Pour in oil, then stir in carrots and peas; cook about 30 seconds. Crack in eggs, stirring quickly to scramble eggs with vegetables. Stir in cooked rice. Shake in soy sauce, and toss rice to coat. Drizzle with sesame oil, and toss again.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #15  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

I like this thread! I love to cook and am always looking for new recipe ideas.

I want to try this tonight with whole wheat flour and grouper: - I usually make it with Red Snapper:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tropica...ts/detail.aspx

And my side dish:

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2006/09...er-recipe.html

With another side of roasted broccoli. Yum!

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 01-25-2012 at 01:47 PM.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote