Old 05-11-2010, 08:32 AM   #1  
Reads the scale too much!

S/C/G: 182/182/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Alli and Insanity

The title kind of sounds like a soap opera doesn't it?

Hi, I'm new to this forum (only been here a couple of days) and I wanted to start a thread to post updates of my progress through this new idea I'm trying for losing weight.

If you want to know a little more about me, I have an introduction posted in the introductions area titled "Navy guy in Japan" (sorry, can't post links yet).

If you want to know if this works, keep reading as I post updates.

O.K., what I have already been doing to lose weight:

Stopped drinking soda.
Drink at least 100 oz. of water (usually more) every day.
Eat some kind of breakfast (low fat/sugar) (never ate breakfast before).
Eat a healthy lunch (I used to eat fast food every day for lunch).
Eat a normal dinner with my family, but cut down on portions.

I have been doing this, and running a lot...and lost 10 pounds the first month. Normally that would be good, except that it was 8 pounds the first week and 2 pounds for the following 3 weeks combined. It's the 2 pounds in 3 weeks that has me wanting to try something different.

I started at 198 pounds and a month and 11 days later I'm still barely under 190 pounds.

What I have decided to try:

Alli, the only weight loss pills approved by the FDA...I'm hoping that means it works and is safe. The over the counter pills are half dose of a prescription medication that has been shown to work for a long time...so I'm hoping. Without going into nasty bathroom details, I'll just say it seems to be getting rid of fat pretty good so far.

I'm also trying the Beach Body Insanity workout. I started it yesterday and just did the fit test (which was still pretty hard). I'll be doing the fit test every two weeks to see how much I am improving. I'll definitely post updates after each fit test, and probably some in between as well (especially to say how hard it is... ).

I can't post a signature, picture, or even a link yet...but when I can I'll try to get a progress of weight loss ticker up at some point.
memorysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #2  

Day 1...fit test.

Just started and the fit test to see what level you are at to start (and to be able to compare later) was a pretty good workout.

I'm kinda nervous to see what the actual work outs are going to be like. This program is supposed to earn it's name (Insanity) by being ridiculously hard. Of course, I'm not going to be able to keep up with the hard bodies in the video, but I'll do my best and that should be a good workout for me.

I'm actually posting this a little before I go do Day 2...so there will be an update after the first actual work out here in a couple of hours.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:42 AM   #3  

There are a couple of selfish reasons for this post...

1. It's a place to track my progress and post updates as I go through it. Even if no one else gets anything out of it...at least I have a place to log things about it.

2. If I know that others know I'm doing this program, then I will be less likely to quit. I know it's going to be hard, so a little bit of extra motivation could go a long way.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

I tried Alli briefly, I personally thought it was pointless after a couple weeks (JMO), and it was more myself trying to play mind games with....um, myself. I was trying to trick myself into eating right and losing weight.

I dont think you should be discouraged with the 2lb loss in 3 weeks. I'm sure everyone here will say that normal *sustainable* weight loss is 1-2lbs a week. Considering you've collectively lost 10lbs in about 1 month, that is very normal especially with the huge loss the first week
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:00 AM   #5  
*~ZUMBA~*

S/C/G: 324/197/150

Height: 5'5"

Keep up the good work
dewdrop1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #6  
Fiercely Determined Chick

S/C/G: 217/see ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by memorysan View Post

Alli, the only weight loss pills approved by the FDA...I'm hoping that means it works and is safe.
Just keep in mind all the "safe" drugs the FDA approves and then recalls months or years later after people start dying...natural is always safest.

Sounds like you are off to a great start! Hope to continue to hear of all your success.
AFChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

Hi memorysan

I'll be following your journey through your posts... So, keep it up!!!

I use Alli and works like a charm for me. But I eat a lot of fat on weekends. If you are already in a low fat diet it won't do much...

Good luck!
Bele
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #8  

Height: 5'6"

If you do a little research on Alli it caused cancer in rats. I agree with AFChick, just because it's FDA approved, doesn't mean it's safe in the long run.

10 lbs in a month is fantastic. If I lost 4 lbs a month I'd be happy because I know I am doing my best, and I am eating better, exercising and getting healthy while I am on this weight loss journey.

By no means am I saying that Alli causes cancer or that you shouldn't take it. I am only saying, do a little research and read what comes up. I for one am anti drug. I think our society pushes drugs when they are not necessary, of course sometimes it is necessary, but often it's not. I don't like to take anything that I don't have to take.

I do wish you much success on your weightloss journey, no matter how you go about it.
squeak351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:26 AM   #9  

Just finished Day 2...the first day doing an actual workout.

Believe it or not, it actually seems doable. I'm not going to lie, I had to stop and rest several times during the push-up part of it, but I believe once my arms get in better shape I'll be able to handle it!

Like I said, I did have to stop and rest for a few seconds (outside of the rest they give you) several times but I pushed myself as hard as I could and never quit.

I was covered in sweat even before the warm-up was done and through out the whole workout, and that tells me it's doing something!
Old 05-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #10  

Oh, I had my daughter take a picture of me with my shirt off (it's O.K., I'm a guy) as a before picture. I'm not going to post it until I have an after picture to go with it...so nanner, nanner...

I don't know...I may post one after each fit test to show how it's going.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:16 AM   #11  

I just "survived" day 3 of Insanity. Yes, I am having to rest several times for a few seconds between the rests the video gives you...but I WON'T LET MYSELF QUIT!! Hopefully, the further I get into it the less of those rests I have to take. Meanwhile, I'll give it my best!
Old 05-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #12  

I like that it shows the intervals...motivates me to push to the end of that interval and get a few more of one exercises before moving on to the next exercise (or those 30 second rests that are barely enough time for my breath to slow down enough to take a small sip of water and get ready to hit it again).

The countdown is nice also...I can say to myself "only 16 minutes left...I got this" and am able to keep pushing myself.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #13  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

May I ask why you want to weigh 145? Is it for your job? Seems pretty low for an adult male. Have you talked to your doctor about your goals?
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #14  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Okay, never mind my last post, I read your intro thread and understand now.

Good luck.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #15  

I was about to post a reply, then I saw your signature...WOW!!

Losing 190 pounds is AMAZING!!! Congratulations!!! You have lost more than I weigh! You've lost a lot more than you weigh (but you already know that)!

Anyway back to your question...

145 is what I weighed when I graduated boot camp almost 14 years ago (I was 20 then). To be honest, I was still chubby then, in fact I told a friend that I weighed 170 before I went to boot camp and he told me "If you are this fat now, you must have been really bad at 170."

Most of the "ideal weight" charts I have seen on line say I should be anywhere between 125 and 155 (some go as high as 165) for my height.

If I don't get that low because I pack on some muscle and I am satisfied with what I look like, then I may change my mind. Right now I'm going off of remembering that I was even fat at 145, and I'm considering that to be a goal to set for now and go up or down from there as I get closer.