Old 02-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 150.7/131/125

Height: 5'2

Default What do you do for excercise??

Just wondering what everyone does for excercise and how long ?? What's working and what's not?
tripletmomplus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #2  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

I work out on an elliptical for 30 minutes a day. I've been doing the 30 minutes for the last 2 weeks, and 20 minutes for the 2 weeks before that. It says that I'm burning 500 calories in 30 minutes, but I haven't really had an increase in weight loss since starting it. I've only lost 6 pounds since starting it, before that I was doing Wii Fit Plus for a month and lost 9 pounds. I think that getting the elliptical probably just happened to be right when my loss slowed down since it is faster in the beginning.

Cardio on the elliptical is great. Plus it really works my legs and rear, and I feel like I can get a pretty good workout in a fairly short time.
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #3  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

I guess success depends on how you define success (I've been reading Socratic dialogues for class, don't mind me). Weight loss for me is a form of success and getting fit is another and increasing my endurance is yet another! If I don't have one, I always have another and in that case, I'm always succeeding no matter what I do!!

I'm a bit tired of saying and hearing "well, I lost ONLY a pound this week". If I don't lose weight that week, yeah, I get disappointed, but I have to be able to measure success in other ways- looser pants, better endurance, etc.

I run/cycle on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for 1/2 hour each (or 35/25 split) and on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I lift weights for 3/4 hour and cycle for 15-20 minutes.

I'm also practicing karate and sword on Monday and Wednesdays for 2 hours, aikido on Tuesdays for 90 minutes and karate and aikido on Saturday for 2 1/2 hours. It isn't hard out drilling like most schools have, but it gets my heart rate up.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #4  
Multi-tasking is fun

S/C/G: 200/188/150

Height: 5'9

Default what I do

My goals are:
1. Strength
2. weight loss (30 lbs to go)
3. long-term healthy and active living.

So I do (in order of priority):
1. weight training (Sun/W/F) with warm up/cool down ellip session (approx 30 min)
2. elliptical intervals (T/Th) gets my heart rate WAY UP (approx 30-40 min)
3. easy sessions for 45-55 minutes (M) for endurance and visualizing myself as strong/healthy/active mother and woman

And I try a new "healthy" (but not earnest) recipe every Saturday. My young children hate it ("what's this?") and my husband is amused by my domestic incompetence.

B.
BrainBabiesBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Here's what I'm doing now:

Elliptical 4x weekly @ 30 minutes, followed by stretching and 10 min of core strengthening x2 days and squats/lunges/deadlifts x2 days (on alternate days)

Have I lost any weight? Don't know, only been doing it for 3 weeks and haven't weighed myself. Feel better though!

Here's what I'm going to be doing starting next week:

1) Elliptical 4x weekly @ 30 minutes, followed by stretching and 10 min of whole body weights designed by personal trainer (one day arms, one day legs, one day core, one day upper body, etc.)

2) Hot yoga after I get off work at 9:30 pm hopefully at least 2-3 x weekly

My problem is that I have limited time. I go to school or study in the morning, work 1:30-9:30, do my exercise on my 1-hour break at work, and going to add in hot yoga at the end of my shift.

~CGH~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 192/132/135

Height: 5'3

I do the Elliptical 4 times a week for 45 minutes and strength training 3 days a week for 20 minutes.
RoseRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:44 PM   #7  
I'm melting.....

S/C/G: 212/194.3/140

Height: 5'2"

Hey RoseRR - How long did it take you to build up to 45 min on the elliptical? I'm shooting for that 'cause it seems so efficient to get my cardio in, but I'm at 30 minutes right now and a little intimidated to add more.
kuchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I do 45 minutes of cardio (usually in the form of workout videos) 5-6 days a week, I strive for 6.

I aslo do weight training 3 days a week for about 20 minutes each, which I plan to expand into full on 30-45 minute workouts.

Aside from scheduled workouts we do a lot of 5+ mile hiking, swimming, snorkeling and bike riding as a family.
bensempress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:58 PM   #9  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I am still chicken to try weight bearing exercise. After several months of physical therapy and pain with my ankle, I stay away from anything that might hurt it. I keep thinking that when I lose more weight, I will try walking again and see if I can do it without pain.

For now, I ride 60 minutes at 12mph on my stationary bike in the evenings, at least 5 but usually 6 days/week. I figured I can sit on the bike and ride just as easily as I can sit on the couch. I still get the time with my family and watch even more TV than I used to. I should do more strength training. I will at some point. For now, I am comfortable with the amount I am doing. I have been loosing pretty well on the weeks that I am committed to the bike. Of course, weight loss is largely nutrition, too! I find that by exercising after dinner, I tend to eat smaller dinners and am more encouraged to spread my calories accross my day. If I gorge on dinner, not only will I take in those extra calories, but won't feel like exercising. That keeps me in check. I really assocate certain TV shows with riding the bike. (These re-run weeks are killing me!)

Mollz - your post made me smile, as usual! Yes, it all depends on how we define success. One could also ask, why we look for definitions.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 181/150/135

I run. And sometimes I do yoga, but it's hard to make to a regular class. Running is the easiest form of exercise since I am working and have two kids.

If I run on a daily basis I can maintain my weight and eat pretty much what I want, but I have to severely cut the calories if I stop running. Cutting calories and running enabled me to lose 40 lbs. though.
rileyozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 192/132/135

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuchick View Post
Hey RoseRR - How long did it take you to build up to 45 min on the elliptical? I'm shooting for that 'cause it seems so efficient to get my cardio in, but I'm at 30 minutes right now and a little intimidated to add more.
I know the elliptical is not easy at all, at first I could not do five minute straight without having to stop for 10 seconds but little by little I started doing more minutes straight (it took me about 1 month to get to 45 minutes straight). And I love to listen to (Till I collapse by Eminem) when I am working out.
RoseRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:31 AM   #12  

Every morning, I do Slim In 6. In the evening I go to the gym (6 - 7 days a week), alternating cardio (1 hour treadmill or 30 mins treadmill, 30 mins Elliptical) and strength days (30 mins treadmill, and weight machines).
JackiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:13 AM   #13  

Height: 5'6"

Some of ya'll are workout machines! wheww.. makes me tired to read what some of you are doing!!

I like to walk when the weather is nice. Since it's been a nasty winter I have been working out with dvds at home. After a recent fibro flare up and losing what I had built up too. I am trying to get back to 5 days a week. I alternate what dvds I do, so it may be strength training, cardio, mix of both, yoga, who knows. I like to mix it up.

I would love to own an elliptical.
squeak351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #14  

Hi Girls, I am new to the forum. In my 30's but feel 60! I have a treadmill but for the past few months it's become a clothes rack lol.. I just got the Zumba Dvd's and i am hoping they will inspire me! I am so out of shape, I could only do 15 mins of the dvd lol.. hoping my endurance will get better the more I do it.
UpsyDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #15  
Less than 15 now!!

S/C/G: 220/*ticker*/145

Height: 5' 4"

I like to run. I'm currently working my way back to "good" after baby #4. Looking forward to a half marathon in May...but will mostly walk it this year. It's taken a great amount of work to come back this time - I'm still on running 2.5min and recovering 2.5min for 40min total.

Two days a week I do a Slim in 6 video with ol' Debbie Siebers. Those are an hour of "kicking my butt".
mortonpixie is offline   Reply With Quote