Old 02-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #1  
Multi-tasking is fun

S/C/G: 200/188/150

Height: 5'9

Question Newbie question re: terminology

Hi All,

I see occasional mention of people "eating clean". What does this mean? Is there an actual definition or open to individual interpretation? Or something else all together?

Just wondering.

Thanks,
B.
BrainBabiesBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #2  
One Day at a Time...

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/165

Height: 5'4

It's funny that you ask that question as I am currently reading Tosca Reno's (Columnist for Oxygen Magazine) book entitled The Eat Clean Diet. I'm sure the term is used loosely as each person is different and thus has their own persepective. However, "eating clean" is a lifestyle choice where your typical diet is made up of lean protein (Wild salmon, turkey, chicken breast), and complex carbohydrates (fresh brocolli and spinach). Fresh fruits (such as berries, grapefruit, mangoes, apples), veggies, and copious amounts of water are also main staples to this regimen. Basically you are eating as naturally as possible... No refined, processed, perservative laden foods, and absolutely no sodas, fruit drinks, alcohol, and the dreaded white stuff. Likewise, it is recommeded that you eat every 2 to 3 hours and up to 5 to 6 times a day. If I'm not mistaken Tosca's eating cut off time is 6 pm...Way too early for me!!!) But hey, her body and her health are to be commended!

Lastly, The Eat Clean Diet book is very informative and an easy read, although some of the tips such as using only lemon juice on your salad is a little to extreme for me. From what I've read many fitness models use this as the model for their dietary habits. You may want to consider purchasing the the book. I personally think it is a wonderful investment if your have serious questions and would like some really definitive answers...

And KUDOS on your weight loss... Keep up the EXCELLENT work!!!!

Last edited by Beautifully Flawed; 02-05-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Beautifully Flawed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 194.5/194.5/140

Height: 5'2"

Hi... I would say that I try to "eat clean." To me that means as close to natural as possible.... no artificial preservatives, etc. As Jillian Michaels says, if it doesn't grow in the ground or have a mother, don't eat it!!!! To me, eating clean also means eating 5-6 small meals per day and drinking LOTS of water.

That's my take on it... hope it helps
Dab52776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 194.5/194.5/140

Height: 5'2"

Beautifully.... I also use Tosca Reno's book as my "bible" When you finish the book, will you be starting any part of her program?
Dab52776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #5  
One Day at a Time...

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/165

Height: 5'4

Dab52776... I actually have implemented some and plan to add more very soon... Just last night I made my first clean eating recipe... Steamed zuchiini with ground turkey, bellpeppers, mushrooms, onions, and salsa... It was DELICIOUS!!! I also would like to start implementing some of the supplements, such as omega 3's, flaxseed, and whey protein (which I take in the morning as my breakfast shake)... I'm not sure if I can ever give up traditional salad dressing though... O'my... It's a process, but her journey is very inspiring, and the premise of clean eating is very encoraging towards a healthier, happier lifestyle...

Last edited by Beautifully Flawed; 02-05-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Beautifully Flawed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:57 PM   #6  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Tosca's book is great and I reccommend it to everyone, but she didn't invent clean eating. Back in the day, it was a body building/fitness term for keeping one's diet clean of junk. It has morphed into a concept similar to eating whole foods. Avoiding processed foods, white sugar and excess saturated fat.

It's not the same at all as counting calories. When CC, you can eat whatever you want as long as you stop at a certain calorie limit. Here, there isn't the calorie restriction, but the foods must be "clean." It is implied that you will also eat several small meals a day and stop when you are no longer hungry.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #7  
Multi-tasking is fun

S/C/G: 200/188/150

Height: 5'9

Default Thank you!

Thanks all for the clarification. This is a big help and I'm going to look for that book. I couldn't give up my salad dressing ('homemade' from a local higher-end restaurant) since it's increased my salad consumption big time but the rest sounds more doable.

Best,
B.
BrainBabiesBe is offline   Reply With Quote