Old 04-09-2005, 07:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 173/136/125

Height: 4"11'

Default I need motivation.....

I want to start this new healthier time in my life, however, I find myself lacking the motivation. Any ideas on how to kick myself in the rear and start losing weight? What motivates all of you?
Lauren
Maryjaneld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 08:55 PM   #2  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Lauren! Motivation is definitely a hard thing to come by, I think. I assume you've already tried picturing yourself at your goal weight. Personally, I was prompted to change my lifestyle after looking at myself in the mirror and being totally disgusted with what I saw. I was at the heaviest I have been in my life and I hated it! I couldn't wear any of the clothes I wanted, I couldn't do the physical activities I wanted to because I was too out of shape.

A year or two ago I started getting into fashion and beauty, which I had never paid attention to before. It hit me that I could wear the right colors and blow-dry my hair right and apply makeup, but none of that would cover up my fat belly and gigantic butt. Also, I started to feel uncomfortable getting intimite with my boyfriend, which had never been a problem before -- just because of my stomach. I got really fed up with it and decided that it was time to fix it! I had the advantage that I was moving to a new place and starting a new stage in life, so I didn't have anything in my house to get rid of, or any restaurant habits to break.

I was the least motivated with exercise, because I was so bad at it and it seemed so time consuming. But I found that if I go in the morning, I can stick to a routine, and now that I have been working on fitness for a while I actually enjoy it and look forward to going to the gym! I have hated exercising my entire life, because it was so hard for me, but after a few months of going 3 days a week, I finally feel like my body is thanking me and I am accomplishing something great. It's just as good a feeling as I had the other day, when I was lying on my back in bed and I could feel my hipbone under there for the first time in years!

I don't know if that helped you at all, but I know you can do it! We're all here to support you. Think about how healthy and beautiful you will be when you reach your goal!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 10:32 PM   #3  

Thank you very much Paperclippy! Exercising is also the least motivated part of my weight loss. I just bought an interesing looking exercise tape of five 10 minute workouts - bootcamp, pilates, ballet, kickboxing, and yoga. Maybe if I start small with 10 or 20 minutes, I can at least exercise 5 days a week and that'll be better than the 1 day a week that i'm doing right now.
I have to work on the eating right. I have tried visualizing myself at a goal weight. The hard part is knowing that I had lost 30 lbs 4 years ago, and then my mom died and I gained it all back, and then some. I have clothes ranging from size 8 -> right now, size 16 and that's depressing.
Thank you for cheering me on, I think, with this new added support, that maybe I can do this
Lauren
Old 04-11-2005, 12:17 PM   #4  
Angie

Smile Inspiration!!!!

Ok, girls (and Guys). This is a post I absolutely LOVE from Meg, and I re-read it because It inspires me to keep going. I hope you find it helpful.. kep on truckin!
For actual thread:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
If there’s anyone who can relate to what you’re saying, it’s probably me. I walked the same road myself back in 2001 and 2002 and experienced all the same feelings that you talk about in your post. You’re not kidding when you say that losing weight is hard work, but I want to tell you that it’s so so worth it. From where you are now, you have a vision of what your life’s going to be like at goal, right? A dream about how you’re going to look and how you’re going to feel?

OK, I want you to step into my skin for today and feel what it’s like to be me. You with me? You see, I used to think it was all about how I’d look when I got to 135 pounds. I never realized that the pay-off is how good I FEEL. So if you can walk around in my (sweaty gym) shoes for one day, I guarantee that nothing in this world will stop you from losing the rest of the weight.

Here we go!

It’s 4:30 AM and I wake up before the alarm, bursting with energy. I need a lot less sleep now than I did 122 pounds ago. I never dreamed that I could feel so good! The first thing that goes through my mind every day is — woo hoo! I did it! I’m not fat anymore! To me now, every morning is Christmas morning; every day is the best day of my life.

I jump out of bed, make coffee, and throw on my gym clothes. That’s a huge change from before, when I was allergic to exercise. I’m at the gym when it opens and do my cardio for the day, listening to music with a great beat. I notice how much faster and more intensely I can go now than when I was heavy and every day I try to do a little more than the day before. That endorphin rush is a great way to start the day — I’m always so jazzed when I walk out of the gym.

Back home to breakfast: oatmeal and chocolate protein powder. The way I eat now and the way I used to eat are like night and day. No more sugar highs and crashes, no more feeling bloated, no more hating myself and feeling controlled by food. I plan my meals for the day and enter them into Fitday.

Then the usual Mom stuff and household stuff. It’s so cool to fly up and down the stairs without having to stop and catch my breath or having my knees and feet hurt. I get my chores done in about half the time it used to take. I love the feeling of being strong just while doing the everyday tasks of life: taking out the trash, carrying the laundry upstairs, hefting the 20# box of kitty litter.

And then the highlight of my day: back to the gym for weights. The gym was the scariest, most alien place in the world for me when I was heavy and now it’s home. I love lifting weights and love the muscles and the look they give me. I used to be afraid to look in the mirrors at the gym (you know how the walls are lined with mirrors) - now I catch a glimpse of myself and marvel at the stranger who’s looking back at me. How could this be me? I spent all my life as the fat girl and now I have toned arms and little hips. I walk out of the gym on , knowing that I've pushed myself to my limits as I worked to build my best body. Lifting weights has taught me that I have strength and endurance and discipline that I never imagined and it carries over to all other aspects of my life. I know that I’m capable of anything that I set my mind to doing.

Let’s stop and do some clothes shopping on the way home, OK? I walk in and bypass the plus sizes and head for all the pretty clothes in the regular sizes. I don’t have to shop for camouflage anymore — no more big T-shirts to hide the butt or long sleeves to cover the jiggle. No more elastic waists or towels strategically covering up my bathing suit. I can look at crop tops and low-rise pants, beautiful (and sexy) lingerie, and tank tops. I see something that I want to try on and look for it in a 4 or a small(which can be hard to find). Now stand in my shoes with me in the dressing room and hold up a pair of jeans in size 4. They’ll never fit, right? They’re WAY too tiny — I used to look at small sizes and think that no one could have a butt small enough to fit in those. But they slide right up over my hips and fit perfectly (no sucking in the gut). The problem with clothes shopping when I was fat was that nothing looked good. The problem now is that too much looks good — hard on the old budget.

Back home, normal life. My dinner’s different from the rest of my family’s but it doesn’t bother me or them a bit. And then to bed, knowing that I physically feel better than I ever have in my life. But more than just how good I feel is the knowledge that I did it! It took me 47 years, but I finally got rid of the fat that weighed down every aspect of my life. There’s no better feeling in the world.

Losing weight — and more importantly — keeping it off is hard work and it’s a job that we’ll have to do for the rest of our lives. It takes sweat, hard work, planning, and self-discipline. You know what to do; like you said, the elements are habit now. But trust me, the pay-off at the end of road is far, far better than you can imagine.

Keep going — you’ve come so far now. When you think about the alternative — going back to being fat and unhappy — really, what choice is there? I guarantee that when you reach your goal (and you will, I’m sure) you’ll agree with me that it was the hardest and, at the same time, the best thing that you ever did in your life.

Last edited by angelfadedblue; 04-11-2005 at 12:20 PM.
angelfadedblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:44 PM   #5  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for posting that Angie, that's really inspirational!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:23 AM   #6  

Thanks a lot, that was great. It's nice to see the payoff of losing weight, besides just looking smaller. I was so motivated, i ran and did a 30 min workout.
Lauren
Old 04-12-2005, 10:43 AM   #7  
one of my goals!

S/C/G: 215/203/150

Height: 5'7"

OMGosh!! I LOVE that post by Meg!!! Angie, thank you for re-posting!
BrunetteChic_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 02:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 238/157/138

Height: 5'4

Yes, Thank You Angie. I really enjoyed reading Meg's post!
flxthct107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 02:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 260/209/150

Height: 5'6"

I wanted to float this post back up. I'm needing some motivation big time lately This post seemed to help. What do you do for motivation?
Jessie_777 is offline   Reply With Quote