I think I'm going to go CRAZY - Page 2 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Old 10-31-2014, 12:26 AM   #16  
Makin it stick

S/C/G: 208/ticker/155

Height: 5'7''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidanqm View Post
Start small and focus on changing one habit at a time. Really, ONE, pick one habit a month and just focus on that.

also, make the calorie reduction as small as you can get away with. I'm talking a 300-500 calorie reduction and no less. For example, my maintenance calorie goal a day (counting for my activity level) is around 1,990 calories a day. So for dieting, I try to have a net goal of 1,650...

Other tips. Don't be restrictive. Eat what you want. Exercise often.

Use a calorie counter app like MyFitnessPal is awesome.
This is my suggestion as well. It's amazing how much of a change something small (like cutting out regular soda, for example) can do to get you started. And really, ANY deficit will get you somewhere. You can loose a pound a week (~3500 calories) by only cutting 500 calories per day. If you're already used to skipping meals (I usually skip breakfast, because I love sleep and tend to not have time in the morning because of it) ~1500 calories for two meals will seem like quite a bit and if you get into the habit of counting calories, eventually you'll start memorizing your favs and it'll be even easier!
superherothin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:29 PM   #17  
In It to Win It!

S/C/G: 263/ticker/160

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Skip a meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner). And eat what you want the rest of the time. That should get you started.

It will save you money and you won't need a gym.

See, my doctor told me to do the complete opposite of that. Eating breakfast is essential, because it helps keep you not starving until lunch. I myself am working on eating breakfast (so far, a greek yogurt with fruit, trying to do oatmeal) every day. I would have a light lunch, but be so starving by the time i get off work at 3:30 that I immediately go to Taco Bell or McDonald's or Wendy's on my way home. And then have dinner, too.

I really don't want to argue because everyone has their own way, but skipping meals is really just not healthy.
banditbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:34 PM   #18  
In It to Win It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnydream View Post
yeah I think if I ease into it, really commiting but taking it slow, that will work for me. Because that seems less intense, but I am still making real changes. So 20 minutes at 3 times week of having my heart rate up...yeah okay that seems a lot less daunting.

I did LoseIt, and I always had to put the food in myself haha, maybe I'll try fitnesspal if it has a bit better of a database.

I have the water thing down, but sometimes I mix my water with a half cup of cranberry juice. I should just keep track of how often I do that and the serving, but otherwise I take water wherever I go!

Thank you for your advice, and yes I really want to make changes in my life !
Make yourself an appointment every day to get some physical activity in.

Tomorrow, I am forcing my husband to wake up early so we can do 9am yoga. And then probably treadmill and weights for another 30 min. Sunday, there's an 8am class.

I am just starting the workout thing myself, but if you make an appointment, put it in your phone, set an alarm, it'll make it easier.

Would you bail on a friend because you didn't feel like getting up and going out? Would you bail on your doctor, or a test? Think of exercise as that. It is just something that is a part of your day, and that is the exact habit thin, *fit* people have.

What boggled my mind is that working out and exercise is a part of daily life for people. I just never did it. I was involved in sports as a kid, and played outside, but by the time high school rolled around, and college, I just wasn't active. Now, I'm SIX years out of college and there are just literally no more excuses. It is a part of life that should be a part of my daily routine. It is what most people do, and what everyone should do.

BTW, mixing juice with water is a great idea. I always do that (except for OJ). It cuts down on calories and sugar.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:37 PM   #19  
In It to Win It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethLeah View Post
Try once every 2 weeks to change something really small. First thing could be to cut out dairy. Then prepare one healthy meal to eat every day of the week. Then cut out gluten... you get the idea. Gradual changes make for long lasting changes and form habits. Changing everything all at once is too much. Conquer small goals and they will add up to big goals.
Well, cutting out gluten doesn't do anything, unless you have celiac disease. It's just one of those new buzz diets that don't lead to weight loss at all. Dairy has a lot of benefits too, like calcium and probiotics in yogurt. Dairy is great in moderation, and chocolate milk after a workout is actually great if you're into weight lifting.

But the overall idea you present is good, that they need to be gradual changes. I just don't want people to fall into the hype of fad diets.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:14 AM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Skip a meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner). And eat what you want the rest of the time. That should get you started.

It will save you money and you won't need a gym.
I personally wouldn't skip a meal. Isn't a no-no when trying to lose
weight?
soexcited is offline   Reply With Quote