Old 10-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #1  

Post I need help...

I'm 23 and I want to lose, I'm caught up in crap eating and drinking alcohol. I need to commit and I am ready. I see a lot my father is going through and it really has changed my outlook. I don't want health problems at 40 or earlier. I know healthy eating and working out is key....so is there anything anyone can offer? I need a lot of help and support as far as how to keep your motivation...that is my hardest part. I am the heaviest I've ever been....240...used to be 140 and I thought that was fat at 16, now I'm 23 and failing. I hope I can stay motivated! I wonder sometimes how much other people struggle, and I look at the goal thread and try to keep myself motivated....it's just super hard. HOW DOES EVERYONE DO IT?
hockeygirl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #2  
Just Keep on Running

S/C/G: 178/142.6/120

Height: 5'6.5

Some days I have no idea why I keep going to be honest. Most days though I keep going because reaching my goal weight is something I promised myself for about 10 years now. Its just been time to get there. No more fantasies and dreaming about it. Its going to be reality. I just want to wear the cute clothes already.

sorry if you were looking for a different answer.
energie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:15 AM   #3  
cb1

S/C/G: 220/220/120

Height: 5'6

I'm 188 right now. I've struggled for the past 4 years. my eating isn't always spectacular. my high weight was 200.

Sometimes I wonder why I don't just give up and gain 100 pounds. But my husband said "It's better to lose the same 10 pounds over and over again, than give up and gain 100." And that is true. And the other facet is - I really like exercise. It just took time to find what works for me. What works for me is changing it up constantly. I ice skate, I hike, I bike, I swim I do workout DVDs, I have a treadmill, I weightlift. I don't do any of it consistently but the point is I do a little bit every week, whatever I feel like doing, whether it is a 2 kilometer hike or a 50 kilometer bike ride or just a leisure swim or stretch session - and I've lost a lot of inches even if I haven't lost weight. My blood pressure and blood sugar are fantastic, I think in part because I do exercise even if I'm eating like crap. And some days I eat healthy, some days I eat like crap. I'm trying to transition to having more healthy eating days than bad days. But in the meantime, I'm maintaining at 188, I'm a size 12, and I am strong, and can outrun, outlift and am incredibly flexible compared to some skinny girls, just because I chose to not give up and to try something different everyday. I play with my kids and I find I can run around like crazy with soccer because I just get outside and DO IT - whereas there are skinny moms sitting on the bench that couldn't keep up with me if they tried. I have a bicep and a tricep line and my quads are incredibly defined... who knew you could have muscle definition at almost 200 lbs?

So my advice is just NOT TO GIVE UP on fitness.... even if you eat like crap... do those squats while waiting in the kitchen for your water to boil... walk those stairs instead of the elevator... run to your destination even if you are sweaty and gross at the end instead of walking... just be more active and have fun... find what you like and enjoy doing, and do it. Don't do it so often you get sick of it. I could never be JUST a runner or JUST a swimmer because I'd get sick of doing the same thing all. the. time. So, mix it up and just try to not sit on the couch. Or if you are watching TV sit on the floor and stretch or hold plank poses. It really is worth it. Even though i've only lost about 10 lbs my activity really kept me healthy. I feel like I can keep up with the fit and trim chicks at the gym - and in some cases surpass them.

It's a daily struggle to eat healthy....It's a struggle to exercise sometimes too, but i find that variety is the key for me. Even going to the club and dancing is great exercise... ! Sometimes I don't feel like running so I walk. it's just important to move... not how much or how hard... just do *something* everyday, no matter how small. You will be surprised how quickly your muscles gain strength and endurance.

And someday.... someday... I will reach my goal weight. Hopefully in a year. I just need to get my eating under control. I am sure other people can share better strategies for that.
cb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #4  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

Focus on the lifestyle and not the number you see on the scale.

Live by the 80/20 rule. Eat healthy 80% of the time and let life happen the other 20%.

Don't give up on yourself; be patient.

Make small obtainable goals so you set yourself up to succeed.

Your life will not magically change when you hit your goal. Remember that. Enjoy this process.

Most importantly, love yourself. You're worth it.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 226/174.6/160

Height: 5'6

I don't really have any words of wisdom to offer since I'm kind of just starting my journey myself but if you need a buddy to talk to, I'm here. We can talk weight loss or hockey or whatever. It's hard but you can do it!
KellinaKatrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/150/130

Height: 5 foot 4 inches

Hey we have the same starting number!!!
I know for me my number was my BIG thing, it was so hard to focus.. I needed to lose 100+ pounds! That is alot of weight! I have lost a little over 65 now and even that number looks huge to me. It is actually SO easy to lose weight. You just have to keep yourself very disciplined, view exercise as a daily activity instead of working out, Eat things that are going to supply your body with things it actually needs.
If you do those things, it will work out!
I started out on a strict low calorie, low salt, and low saturated fat diet. I exercised for 30 minutes a day. I know I would have lost even more now if I had stayed so dedicated to my plan. It is much harder to lose weight once you get to a certain number but, if you keep at it you will lose it all. Remember everyday is a new day but at the same time, you do not want to have to restart your plan EVERYDAY.
Good luck, I am sure you will do amazing!
Ash2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 166/see ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Don't give up! I thought it was hopeless at one point, too! My highest was 200. Funny thing, I didn't think I had a huge problem until I had a wedding dress to fit into. That really kickstarted me and made a difference. Maybe you just need to find your motivation.

You have to remember it's a lifestyle change, NOT a diet. All the small things really add up - drinking half your body weight in ounces of water, cutting carbs, watching the sodium, walking everyday, etc. You may not see an immediate change, but overall, it definitely makes a huge difference.

With your crap food eating and alcohol...just remember, everything in moderation. You'll do great, just stick with it! Everyone is here to support you!
jmko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #8  
Jenn :)

S/C/G: 248/ticker!/148?

Height: 5'11"

I didn't start losing weight until I believed I could do it. I spent my entire teenage years being obese and unhappy, and one day, something clicked.

My best friend asked me to go on a hike, and I begrudgingly agreed. I cried, yelled and complained as I dragged my 248 pound body up the mountain in the middle of summer, but I finally got to the top. Sounds cheesy, but just accomplishing that, something I never thought I could in a MILLION years, really changed something in me.

From that day on, I changed my eating habits and began exercising. Starting small is important; it's much easier to keep up with small changes than drastically overhauling the way you live overnight. Sometimes the idea of losing weight can be daunting- but just take it one day at a time. One healthy meal, one good workout- it all adds up to starting a healthier lifestyle!

The progress you'll see just from making little changes will be a good motivator, as it is for many people here on 3FC. Feeling better about yourself and what you can do will make you keep wanting to do it.

Good luck!
pinksparkles is offline   Reply With Quote