Old 06-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/150

Height: 5'10"

Default Body type on an online dating site?

So I've been on the site a few weeks. Going on a few dates with the same guy but still responding to messages from others. And I worry I'm being misleading.

I'm 5'10" and currently 178 pounds, which is just over the 173 for 'normal' BMI. I wear a size 12 pant, and a "L" shirt typically fits.

I have myself as "Average" currently. I also have a full body pic and a close-up pic, but the full body pic is in a loose-ish shirt so it could be hard to tell my weight I suppose?

Anyway, I'm just curious what your thoughts are for what "Average" vs "A Few Extra Pounds" vs "Curvy" etc are?
my2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/130

Height: 5'9" Age: 19

I think at 5'10" and 178 lbs, you're within a healthy BMI range (EDIT: Oops I was off by point 5. But honestly, I don't think that's going to make a significant difference :P). Therefore, I'd categorise you as "average". You included a full-body picture, so I'd be shocked if someone felt they were 'mislead'. A loose-fitted shirt doesn't magically mask a person's weight, most find it does the opposite. I think you're overthinking this, and you have nothing to worry about.

Last edited by Ramra; 06-15-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Ramra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #3  
Stubborn.

S/C/G: 197/See ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

First: David Tennant avatar! *Swoons* Number 10 will always be my favorite <3

*Cough* Okay, back to the actual topic...I think you're fine. That seems like a perfectly reasonable weight for someone your height, and unless the picture is super old, guys have eyes...they can look at the picture and figure out if your body type is appealing to them. I highly doubt that if you go on a date with someone and hit it off, they'll throw you on a scale and demand to know why your BMI is ever so slightly above average. Also, if someone DID do that, they probably wouldn't be worth your time.

Things like that are completely subjective. I think it's more a matter of how you view yourself than of how well you adhere to certain guidelines. Everyone judges others differently.
Hotaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

I am just over "Normal" BMI too, and I have myself as average. I think you're fine.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

"average" sounds fine to me -- but perhaps inching to tall? Because I'm 5'8" and I get told I'm tall for a woman and you are taller than me.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #6  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

I would personally probably go with "curvy" but I think "average" is fine too. Plus, you have a full-length photo, so does the decription really matter?
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 247/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4

I put average and I was 230 when I was on it last year, but I had my pic up of my body so I wasnt "decieving" anyone idk but I met my fiancé on there and had no complaints but I am very comfortable around him and after having sex for the first time we laid in bed naked for an hour talking and later on into dating he said he really found that attractive that I laid there and didn't try to cover myself up and for the giggles here's him and I from last summer we were dating hmm 2 months?, he's such a military man with his bald head ...

Thedollylala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:55 AM   #8  
Every pound is a victory

S/C/G: 263/147/?

Height: 5' 6"

Agreed. Definitely average! Especially in the U.S.
rainydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #9  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Here's a thought. With nearly 67% of U.S. population overweight or obese, you're better than average!

But yes, I'd say "Average" label is right.

Last edited by caryesings; 06-16-2012 at 07:36 AM.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/150

Height: 5'10"

Ha, thanks guys! You're right, it probably shouldn't matter since I have a pic up (it's less than 2 months old). I've just made myself paranoid from reading online forums about 'misleading online posts/pictures' (of all types).

And if "Tall" were an option, I'd definitely pick that! But all the adjectives are more weight-oriented. I did post my height though.
my2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #11  
Stubborn.

S/C/G: 197/See ticker/135

Height: 5'6''

I go with the "little extra" option, but I'm quite a bit wider than you. I can understand your paranoia though, having gone on a few dates with guys who listed themselves as 5'10'' and "average" and turned out to be shorter than me and have bigger boobs than I did...not that I haven't dated big guys, but it kinda kills the mood when you spend the whole first date wishing that you'd worn a push-up bra so that you'd feel less inadequate
Hotaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:42 AM   #12  
Golden

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotaruchan View Post
I go with the "little extra" option, but I'm quite a bit wider than you. I can understand your paranoia though, having gone on a few dates with guys who listed themselves as 5'10'' and "average" and turned out to be shorter than me and have bigger boobs than I did...not that I haven't dated big guys, but it kinda kills the mood when you spend the whole first date wishing that you'd worn a push-up bra so that you'd feel less inadequate

This gave me life! Hilarious. This actually happened to me the other day.
Mizzthingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I'd definitely say average. I'm 3 inches shorter than you and I say average. :P But I did that because I do have full length photos (so like you said, not deceiving anyone), plus I think some guys will sort of overs aggregate whatever we put. And I just hate the term curvy. Don't know why, lol.
MusicalAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote