Old 02-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/182/135

Height: 5'1"

Angry What commercials do you hate? (rant)

Besides all the ads for the big diets, you know what commercial really gets on my nerves?

The Jif "college mom" commercial, where the girl opens up a care package full of junk her mom sent her. She immediately opens up a jar of Jif and digs in with a spoon.

Ok, that's all well and nice. We all love peanut butter, and we'd all love to do that. Who hasn't at some point? What really bugs me is that there is no way in **** that it could be put on TV if the girl was even slightly overweight. Because this day in age, people would just think "well gee, if you cut back on eating peanut butter right out of the jar, you might not be so fat."

Do you get my meaning? When I googled this commercial for reactions, all I found was that people noticed the mom sent the girl a cd mix of music and wondered what was on it. Other than that, no one seems irritated at this commercial. Maybe I'm just being bratty, because we all know you don't see overweight people on ANY commercials to begin with, but man....thin people are "allowed" to eat PB out of a jar and no one would care, but overweight people aren't because you know there'd be a whole slew of remarks about it.

And that's my rant.
Rapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:44 AM   #2  
Ted's Pants!

S/C/G: 223/223/150

Height: 5'5"

I don't think it's anything to get angry about, really. Do you get mad every time you see a commercial for food? I'm pretty sure most have Thin to healthy sized models/actresses/whatever in them

Last edited by BananaMontana; 02-25-2012 at 01:45 AM.
BananaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Didn't bother me at all.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:33 AM   #4  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I don't like the Goodlife fitness commercials. I find it kind of insulting that the entire commercial states that in order to have a goodlife, you need to be super fit. Especially when they say "the goodlife is within your reach" and show a girl with a gym bag. My husband thinks I am a total nut tho LOL! That's the only commercial the bothers me.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I hate the toilet paper commercial where the baby bear has bits stuck on his butt. Not necessary, IMHO.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:30 AM   #6  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Rapunzel, when I saw that girl spooning into her pb, I thought 'oh, to be young again and eat pb out of the jar'

There is a local commercial here, for Lasic surgery. A husband is questioning his wife about her buying saline solution twice a month. The woman is not upset, just quietly defends her contact lens solution purchases. I emailed my opinion, saying that I didn't like the commercial because it seemed he was getting 'on her case'.

I got the longest response from the doctor's HUSBAND, defending her, the surgery practice, praising their community donations, hinting that I was an abused wife and I was seeing myself in the commercial, telling me 'it's not real!!! it's a commercial!!"..it was so weird. I had about a billion sarcastic replies ready and wisely did not respond at all

I also don't like one of the ones for depression medicine, that depicts depression as a little cartoon blob. No one who suffers from depression would ever describe it as a little purple cartoon blob clinging to them. But I'm not gonna tell them that

EDIT - oops, sorry for me posting in the wrong age decade, lol

Last edited by VermontMom; 02-25-2012 at 06:35 AM.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I hate the Nutella commercials that imply that it's part of a healthy breakfast and made with "wholesome ingredients" like skim milk, hazelnuts, and cocoa. And it does have those things, I guess. But the first two ingredients? Sugar and palm oil.

Because nothing says "good start to your day" like saturated fat and 21 grams of sugar.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 300+/Ticker!/140 lbs

Height: 5'8" Age: 27

Just in general I hate how unhealthy products are promoted as being healthy.

"FAT FREE!" in bright colors and large font on a package of gummy bears, "Vitamins and Minerals!" on a package of sugar bomb artificially flavored and colored breakfast cereal, etc, and sugar and salt being hidden in everything.

It makes me want to scream!
Riesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 270 / 264 / 200

Height: 5'4"

I get annoyed by Nutrisystem commercials. "Great tasting food"??? Are you kidding me? I tried that stuff. I couldn't eat it, because it was so back, and so of course, I supplemented it my own stuff... NOT healthy stuff.
I ended up giving a lot of my left over Nutrisystem stuff to a local food closet.
Sactolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #10  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Dominos cheesy bread.

It's on like every commercial break and haven't broken down and gotten it...yet.

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:41 PM   #11  
Just starting out

S/C/G: 204.5/195/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
I hate the Nutella commercials that imply that it's part of a healthy breakfast and made with "wholesome ingredients" like skim milk, hazelnuts, and cocoa. And it does have those things, I guess. But the first two ingredients? Sugar and palm oil.

Because nothing says "good start to your day" like saturated fat and 21 grams of sugar.
LOL! I couldn't agree more. But it's so good...
naffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/150 (for now)

It's the McDonald's commercials that bother me the most. Everyone knows that their food should not be consumed by anyone, but then they also have healthy looking people enjoying it thoroughly- sends the wrong message to people. When I was younger, I honestly saw that and said to myself, "there must be something wrong with me. I eat that stuff but I'm not that thin...?" It's just stupid >.<
AshNStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #13  
mya

I hate McDonald's and soda commercials. It bothers me how they target children with the colors and toys so they become clients for life. I actually have to stop myself from yelling at parents when I see them feeding their children crap.
Commercials are almost always sexist and their message is that if you don't have this or use this or eat that then you're not happy and you won't be until you do. I avoid them as much as I can to be honest.

I have an example of and ad that upsets me:

mya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:05 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Mya, WOW at that Levi's ad. I just...wow.

I agree about the McDonalds/unhealthy food commercials. Everyone knows it's bad for you, but they show parents feeding their kids and being like "it's so healthy for your kids!". No, it's not, and my little brother believes everything he sees on tv. He's obese (at age 12) and I can't get him to eat healthy no matter what I do. Part of it is my mom doesn't care, but part of it is he has no idea what healthy food is. He thinks POP TARTS are a healthy breakfast food, because that's what the ads say! Every single food on the market wants to be seen as healthy so they slap "low sugar/low fat" on the package or other crap like that, and people buy it because they think it's good for them.
MusicalAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/150 (for now)

Mya, I remember seeing that ad the other day. It's pretty ridiculous to see what some companies consider "plus size". >.<

But yeah, it's just the whole concept. I mean, cigarette commercials have stopped running because they finally figured out that it made kids want to smoke and it kills people. Somehow, they don't see unhealthy foods the same way. Sure it's not as addictive, but it's a huge problem.
AshNStuff is offline   Reply With Quote