Old 01-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 340/323/165

Height: 5'11

Default i need to vent, or i'm going to explode.

i keep on restarting my weight loss journey. sometimes i feel like a joke, because i can't stay on. so, a few weeks ago, i really started. i was eating better, and less. and i was going to the gym almost every day. i lost 8.2 pounds. well, things have gotten extremely stressful, more so than usual lately, and i've gained those 8.2 pounds back, and more, according to my scale. i can't find my motivation anymore.

my boyfriend of 2 years and i are working through some problems that we've been having. which is hard to do, because we're only together on the weekends--and not this weekend. so i'm feeling especially depressed. this being a weekend when i really need him. not just because of the issues between us, but i just need him. there's major family drama that erupted right now, and i don't know how things are going to be around my house anymore. i'm not sure things will blow over like they usually do, concerning this. my job has cut my hours drastically. i only work part-time to begin with, but i've dropped from 25-30 hours a week to 16. i can't be going to school because i owe them money. everything just seems so overwhelming.

i've changed from the motivated, energized self that i saw a few weeks ago, to eating again. comfort eating. i've been eating unhealthy again, and eating more when i'm feeling down. the days that i only go into work for a few hours, say, 530-830, i find myself in bed until 430. i just don't have the energy, or motivation for anything. money is also super tight, so even if i wasn't feeling so down and wanted to eat right, we can't afford the healthy foods. we can afford the cheap not-good-for-you foods.

i just feel like i'm going to explode. i'm stressed, depressed, unmotivated, and overwhelmed. i don't know what to do.

sorry ladies, and gents.

i really just needed to let that out to somebody.

thanks for listening.
lostinstaticx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Hang in there.

Take a deep breath.

What are your options? Can you find a different job?

What about learning some non-food stress techniques?

Are you getting enough time outside in the sun?

Enough sleep?

It's fine to have to put weight loss on a pause because other Life Stuff jumps on the front burner.

Take it one step at a time.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/180/150ish

Height: 5'5"

Lost- I am sorry to hear about everything that is coming down on you right now. I am in a similar boat (my mom went through cancer stuff and the husband is leaving me) and I am not great at following my own advice but I keep telling myself that while the things happening to me in my life right now may be out of my control, the things I put in my mouth can be controlled. I always feel worse when I overeat (which I have been doing a lot of lately) but when I actually work out or eat well I feel so much better about myself and although things are crashing around me I know I am doing all I can for me. Easier said than done. I hope that things mellow out for you soon and start looking up. Just try not to get down on yourself, life throws us some crazy curve balls and we can't be expected to handle them all perfectly every time.
KayNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #4  

A,

I've been looking for jobs, another part time job, a full time job, and i can't seem to find anything, or anybody interested in hiring me. I'm thinking I'm going to head over to a temporary help agency, and see if they can help. I do think it's time. It's not just the money aspect. That's a huge part of it. But, I don't love my job anymore, and I feel stuck.

I've tried getting myself to do things other than eat. I was going to school for art, I've tried doing that, but I've lost my love and passion for art. My boyfriend tells me to go to the gym. I'd be getting rid of some stress, and getting in shape, but I can't find the energy to do that. That's my problem.

I sleep too much. I know that sleeping too much can contribute to feeling tired and run down, but I don't have the energy to make myself get up from bed. I know, I have to push, but I can't seem to get myself to do so.

Kay,
I'm sorry to hear about your tough situations. I'm hoping that life can mellow out for you as well. I know that your advice is right. I know, but, it's difficult. Congrats to you for taking care of yourself, and doing what you need for you. I'm hoping I can get to that level, and put myself first.

Thank you ladies.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

We have a Shoestring Meal forum for money saving ideas on healthy meals.

I'm not sure where you are in PA, but I find that bags of apples, rice, dried beans, and potatoes are cheap across the country. Particularly discount shopping at Aldi, Save-a-lot, pricerite, shoprite, Asian markets, and shopping seasonally is the way to go.

Budget Bytes is a great place to find balanced, money saving meals. Most "diet" food is expensive because we pay for convenience. Buying larger bags and making your own "snack bags," making your own soups and stocks, baking, etc can save you a lot of money.

ETA: making meals and freezing them into portions is healthy, and cuts down on waste ($$).

Last edited by Munchy; 01-25-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:16 PM   #6  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Sleeping too much is definitely as bad as getting not enough sleep for some people. I know its hard, but you can try to make your sleep more limited, go to bed at the same time each night and try to get up at the same time each morning. Even if you get up and dont do anything, its kinda like resetting that clock.

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate. If I were you, I would pick just one thing that you CAN do something about and try to really nail that. Then at least you have that under your belt. And then you can start on the next thing you can do something about. And so on.

When people are depressed, we often lose our passion and interest in things So that might come back. In the mean time, DOING things does help. Even if its something small and simple like going somewhere and being really present with what is going on- the smells, the sights, the sounds, the textures, tastes. Or calling friends and having a chat. Or rewatching your favourite movie. Just like it seems that all the things that are going badly now are adding up and becoming unmanageable for you, little things that give you a tiny boost all add up too

Last edited by Iconised Ghost; 01-25-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #7  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

It sounds like there's a lot going on in your life right now. That's tough.

As far as the weight loss stuff goes (although this is true for other things as well), remember: you don't have to be perfect. Sometimes other things in life have to take precedence, and sometimes people have to "practice" healthy changes for a long time before they become habits.

The other things that are going on will eventually be resolved. Do what you can to help things along (you'll find more work) and take care of yourself as best you can.

FWIW, staying in bed all day usually makes me feel worse. Even if I don't have anything I have to do, I feel better when I stick to a reasonable schedule.
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #8  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I feel like absolute A$$ if I get too much sleep. I've found that 6 hours is my max or I'm useless. Start tomorrow. Get out of bed at a reasonable time, get to the gym, and get your heart pumping! Find a book to read, a goal to accomplish, and do it!!!! You're caught in a vicious cycle and you need to get out ASAP. Build a habit and you'll get over this!!!! *hugs* I've been there, you can overcome it!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #9  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

I am sorry that you have facing so many issues right now.
Here is what helps me when I feel very stressed and cannot seem to get moving. Make a small list of tasks or goals for yourself each day. Start easy, day one maybe get up before noon, write down what you eat that day, take a 10 minute walk.
It takes a lot to get yourself going but making daily goals and forcing yourself to get moving will help.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Are you depressed? Losing interest in the things you used to like is a symptom. When was your last check up?

On the bright side you ARE trying on a new job -- so WTG there!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:36 AM   #11  

Ladies,

Thank you for all of your wonderful advice, and input. I've read through all of your responses, and I've taken all of your ideas to heart. I'm going to look into resources for low-cost, but healthy meals, and go from there.

I'm making a simple task list for tomorrow also. I'm going to try and get up at a reasonable time, and I'm going to do some stretches. I was thinking about when I was taking a yoga class at my college a couple years ago, and while it was difficult for me, I remember really enjoying it. I'm going to try and get back into that. Then, I'm going to try and keep myself occupied until I have to go to work at 530. After work, I'm going to try and get myself into the gym. (Considering it's literally right next door to my work.) Even if I only do a little bit on the treadmill. I'm going to do my best.

Aside from eating when I'm feeling low, I know that I eat when I'm bored. I'm going to try and find a hobby. I have a feeling this is going to be difficult, considering part of my problem is that I've lost interest in just about anything. But I'm going to try, very hard.

My next goal is to come on here everyday. I think that might help me a little bit.

You ladies are wonderful. Thank you again.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/185.2/155

Height: 5'10"

I have been there girlie , it's hard when everything seems to be coming to a head all at once. The best you can do is just take a deep breath and decide what is most important to you.

Put your energy into yourself. Your plan to find a hobby is a very good one. If you can find something active that you enjoy alls the better. Whatever can make you feel happy. I love to read trashy historical romances. Somehow that always makes me feel better. Another activity that I enjoy (and this one is related to weight loss) is going to thrift stores and searching for 'goal clothes'. If I find something perfect, I'll buy it (which is why I shop at the salvation army thrift store lol) Sometimes just looking at those dresses can pull me out of my bad moods!

If all else fails, if you have the option of seeing a therapist, it might help to have someone to talk to. Losing interest in activities can be a symptom of depression.

Good luck and I hope that you feel better!
ohlauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #13  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinstaticx View Post

Aside from eating when I'm feeling low, I know that I eat when I'm bored. I'm going to try and find a hobby. I have a feeling this is going to be difficult, considering part of my problem is that I've lost interest in just about anything. But I'm going to try, very hard.
Do you have a camera? I was just thinking, what is something cheap but hobbyish that would be fun? And I thought, if you have a digital camera, why not investigate different walks around your area, and take pictures of what you find? Like an adventure! I dunno, just a thought that my just-woken-up brain had
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

BREATHE...I've sooooo been here when it seems the world is exploding all at one time and if anything else happens I will have a complete mental breakdown (I mean where I start talking to myself and spend a month in socks eating peanut butter .

Prayer helps me so much during these times. Knowing that there is someone greater and that I have been equipped with everything I need to survive and handle what's in my life. Know that this too shall pass....Sending major SMILES and HUGS.....

Last edited by free1; 01-29-2012 at 04:10 PM.
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

Hey I completely understand what you're feeling. I've certainly been there.

On the job front, if you like Apple and you live reasonably close to a store and wouldn't mind working retail I would certainly refer you.

But let me just say that even in these low points you have to just force yourself to get up and do something. Anything really. A hobby, a walk etc. I know it's hard without having the emotional and physical support of your boyfriend with you, but you need to know that you are strong enough to push through this without him being there. I certainly believe in you, and I know that everyone here does, too.

This is the tough part in your life that will make you stronger. And if you need support, just come here and we'll support you.
redrose8988 is offline   Reply With Quote