Old 01-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 175.6/Ticker/143

Height: 5'4''

Question Weigh-In?

Okay, So I have a question. It seems like you guys weigh yourselves everyday through-out the month? Why? Isnt it better to do that once a week?
I know for sure if I was going to weigh myself every day it would drive me nuts, because the ups and downs everyday..
Eurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #2  
~Kim~

Some people weight everyday to keep themselves accountable. Or they just can't stay off the scale. Or they like to learn their body's patterns of fluctuation.

I hate seeing the fluctuations so I only weigh once a week.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #3  
New start 24/10/10

Height: 5'8

I like seeing the flucuations, it was hard at first to see the scale go up and down but now I know it's just part of the journey. It also helps keep me accountable.
supergir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Weighing every day has helped me be in tune with my body's fluctuations. I can usually predict what I'll see on the scale right now. I don't freak out if I'm up a pound or two, because I know that there are many reasons for that.

Like today for instance. I ate too many salty foods yesterday so I thought I would be up a pound. I was right.

I don't think weighing once a week is necessarily better or worse. it's your personal preference. I know that it wouldn't have worked for me and I'm glad that I weighed every day during my weight loss as I will continue to do when I maintain.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

The fluctuations are why I weigh daily. I lose very slowly, a pound a week if I'm lucky, and I can fluctuate 2+ pounds a day, so if I only weighed weekly, I might weigh during an upswing and think I'd actually gained. Since I weigh daily, I can watch the average go down and not worry about the little upswings now and again.

Last edited by BigChiefHoho; 01-29-2012 at 10:19 AM.
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #6  
Samantha

S/C/G: 150/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

I've always weighed myself daily because it helped verify what I was working for. If I weigh in once a week, I'm more likely to cheat during that week because the next day wouldn't be weigh in day.
sammalamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #7  

I think its nice to weigh weekly because I think its exciting not knowing what to expect. It also gives me something to look forward to every week. I definitely need that. And that helps me to stay on track.
Its only been a few weeks tho, so eventually I'll probably gave to get better at keeping track of whats actually working for me. Right now Im just trying different things every week to see if it works or not.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #8  
Tori

S/C/G: 172/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

I weigh myself daily but I don't usually pay too much attention to the number. It does keep me accountable though.
But my weekly weigh in is still a surprise. I don't calculate every day what I've lost so when I get to figure it out weekly it's still new.
torito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 172/170/130

Height: 5'7

I have to echo everyone's sentiments about monitoring fluctuations. At one point I went to weighing in weekly and would think to myself when there was a little increase that it was temporary or water weight and convince myself it wasn't actual weight gain. That is how I managed to slowly gain 10lbs and not really notice.

I now weigh twice a day once in the morning and once in the evening. I am also able to predict usually where my weight will fall based on eating. It also helps me clarify whether a loss is actually a loss or if a gain is actually a gain.

I weight twice a day because I like to see how consistently my weight changes over the day and it is usually between 3 and 4 lbs. This is consistent and I know that if I go from being 161lbs in the morning to 167lbs in the evening (this has happened) that there is something more going on in my body (serious bloating from poor food choices, dehydration causing water retention, etc.).
Veela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 155/155/130

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
Weighing every day has helped me be in tune with my body's fluctuations. I can usually predict what I'll see on the scale right now. I don't freak out if I'm up a pound or two, because I know that there are many reasons for that.
^^^That is the exact same reason I weigh in everyday. I'm WAY more in tune with my body's fluctuation, and I don't freak out as much when I see a higher number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammalamma View Post
I've always weighed myself daily because it helped verify what I was working for. If I weigh in once a week, I'm more likely to cheat during that week because the next day wouldn't be weigh in day.
^^^ I'm more likely to cheat too if I dont go on!!!
lifehouseluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #11  
Dependapotomaus, no more!

S/C/G: 259/168/145

Height: 5'4

I weigh daily. In all honesty it's because I'm a control freak and I need to know so I can base my day's eating, activity, etc to amp it up, keep doing what I'm doing, or if I can relax a bit.
Lambiechop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #12  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 206.5/173/173

Height: 5'3"

I want the data of weighing in daily. It took me a month or so to get used to it, but that's all that the scale number is now. My "weight" is the current trend number, and my weekly loss is calculated from trend numbers on Mondays.

I find that watching trends instead of single weighings makes it much easier to keep "I went out and ate a burger and fries" to "and it was delicious. Now I won't want them for a month" instead of "And now I've gained 3 pounds! I'm a miserable failure!"

Calculating a trend from weekly weights takes too long for the information to be useful, so I pretty much have to weigh every day.
flourless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #13  
Making Progress!

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'10"

Weighing daily shoves me off the wagon, so I get weighed first thing every Monday morning and hide my scales for the rest of the week!
dayoneagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #14  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Ugh, I've typed out all my reasons for this before and I can't seem to find that thread anymore... anyway here are my thoughts:

- Why is it better? Because some diet guru thought you'd become obsessed or not be able to handle the realities of fluctuations? How can we know everyone's mind in the world. Every human is an individual and how we deal with the ups and downs of life is entirely different.. ditto with the ups and downs of weight loss. Calorie counting makes me obsessive but I don't assume that everyone who does it has issues so I figure as a daily weigher I deserve that same respect even though it might not work for everyone.

- Daily weighing reminds me every morning why I'm doing this. I have to face up to that number on the scale.

- As someone who used to be in the 200's seeing 160's every morning is such a dramatic difference that even though it's not yet where I want to end up it's still great to see!

- It takes the guess work out of it. If I don't weigh every day I obsess. I wonder what that number will be and that bugs me. Looking every morning stops that obsession.

- I don't miss low points. Weighing once a week means that if that day falls on a day that I've ovulating or having my period it'll be artificially high.

- I lose slowly so every pound counts. Realistically weighing once per week might be the same number as last week. Weighing every day means that I'm used to that number and I don't build a lot of drama before a weigh-in and then get disappointed.

- I know my daily fluctuations. I know if I work out I'll probably be up a pound or if I'm ovulating/TOM I'll weigh more. I understand that and know what to expect.

- Gains don't sneak up on me. I can't remember how many times I've read on her of men and women who stopped weighing and came back 20, 50, 100lbs heavier. Weighing daily prevents that. If I gain I see that immediately. I've been at this 1.5 years and have yet to see a single gain (I'm not counting normal water weight fluctuations here) and I don't think that's a coincidence.

- The best maintainers weight more often. The National Weight Control Registry has some articles published on this.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #15  

Runningfromfat:
Thats some really good points. Im definitely thinking about weighing myself more often now. My weigh-in day is tomorrow, so I guess I'll see then what I think is necessary for right now.