Old 11-11-2011, 11:25 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 204.2/196.8/120

Height: 5'4"

I feel like I dress either younger (juniors' tees, etc) than I am or much older (lots of cardigan sweaters). To be honest, I know I have a pretty good sense of style but I just get really discouraged when I go shopping. I pick out clothes thinking they're going to look a certain way on me but the reality never matches it. And I've never found anything really cute or my style in the plus size section too. Overall, I just dress very...bland, when I would rather dress anything but. :/

But I guess that's a lot of what motivates me to lose weight (just having more choices when it comes to going shopping!)
miliminime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:07 AM   #32  

Height: 165 cm (5'5'')

Simple answer: yes

I don't know that the clothing stores are like in the states but here in Australia the general size run within a store is Australian 6-16 which is an american 2-12. It is almost impossible for me to find anything that actually comes in my size. Hence I tend to buy things off websites and just get the bigger sizes and just go with it when it arrives.

I will actually admit that I have not bought any new clothing in nearly two years because of my size and the embarrasment that clothes shopping causes me. My problem is now that all of my clothes are starting to get holes in them. So I'm getting kinda desperate! lol.
Alwaysbeenbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #33  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I'm actually loving shopping in the juniors section now. I probably shouldn't, but I actually find that the clothes fit me a bit better...when they didn't when I was a teenager. Strange how things turn out.

I'm sure I'm not going to look my age though when I'm strutting around in skinny jeans and a Pikachu hoodie....

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
It's funny isn't it? I've gotten it a lot from other moms (although I am younger than all of my mom friends because we had DD young) who are really surprised by my age. When people find out that I'm both done with grad school and have a preschooler, it's normally a shock. I'm going to enjoy it for now (although when I meet people for work for the first time I make sure to dress up A LOT just to be clear that I am a professional and not just a student) because I know it won't last forever.
During parent-teacher conferences or when I was being observed the other day, I make sure to dress super-professionally too. I still get a double take from my students' parents when they meet me for the first time though.

I'm also enjoying this now because like you said, it doesn't last forever!

...or maybe it does! My mother has the same thing. Granted, people don't think she's in her 20s, but they do think she's about 10 years younger than she is. If they find out she has kids in their 20s they are always totally shocked! The same thing happens when she has my teenage brother around!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:51 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 189/138.0/130

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
I'm sure I'm not going to look my age though when I'm strutting around in skinny jeans and a Pikachu hoodie....
I think I know where you've been shopping, fellow geek. Hot Topic, by any chance?

I dress my age (24) as far as "jeans and quirky t-shirt" when I have a day off. At work I wear a uniform, and I'm at work or sleeping a lot since I work nights. I'm addicted to shirt.woot designs, but I do have two decent pairs of dress pants, one of which matches my suit jacket and a couple of nice oxford type shirts (for court, interviews etc) all from Express, the store I always wanted to shop in but they didn't carry my size when I was heavy. My dresses/business wear are all "classic" lines and cuts, and that gives me the older-than-I-am look which plays well to my perceived maturity. Other than that, I have little style and thrift pairs of jeans that fit and are one of those brands I couldn't wear before, Lucky and AE jeans, A&F sweaters etc.

ETA: I can't get in to the skinny jeans trend. I grew up in an era of bell bottom resurgence, back when flare was good and more was better. Took me years to like "boot cut" I'd rather go out in my yoga pants than wear jeans that tight at the ankle.

Last edited by fromthebox; 11-12-2011 at 07:54 AM.
fromthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #35  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

I am 47 years old. I dress the way I like. Age appropriate dressing is beyond silly. Who decided that when a woman reaches a certain age that she has to give up cute clothes and become a matronly grandma?
I wear my skirts short because I am short and its more flattering to my body type, I wear skinny jeans because I feel good in them and I wear a lot of retro dresses and pearls because I love them. Wear what makes you feel good and forgot what other people think......you only live once.......
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #36  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthebox View Post
I think I know where you've been shopping, fellow geek. Hot Topic, by any chance?
I do get stuff at hot topic all the time! I actually found this Pikachu hoodie at JCPenny though when, strangely enough, I was looking for more professional wear.

Quote:

ETA: I can't get in to the skinny jeans trend. I grew up in an era of bell bottom resurgence, back when flare was good and more was better. Took me years to like "boot cut" I'd rather go out in my yoga pants than wear jeans that tight at the ankle.
You're a year older than me, so I totally remember the bell-bottoms. When they went out of style, I was quite sad. Took me forever to get into skinny jeans because of that....now that I love skinny jeans, bell-bottoms are back again and while I have a few pairs I just can't quite get into them again.

Last edited by sontaikle; 11-12-2011 at 01:51 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 189/138.0/130

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
I do get stuff at hot topic all the time! I actually found this Pikachu hoodie at JCPenny though when, strangely enough, I was looking for more professional wear.

You're a year older than me, so I totally remember the bell-bottoms. When they went out of style, I was quite sad. Took me forever to get into skinny jeans because of that....now that I love skinny jeans, bell-bottoms are back again and while I have a few pairs I just can't quite get into them again.
I've settled on boot cut/slight flare at the moment. I've got some high school jeans at home that I can't wait to try on over christmas, but I suspect that, even if they look great I will not be as enamored of the large bells as I used to be.
maybe someday I won't like my geeky shirts from shirt.woot either.

...Nah
fromthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:56 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 192/163/138

Height: 5"8

I stick to t-shirts either band ones or quirky and flare jeans so I think dress only a bit younger then my 23yrs
GobabyGoGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #39  
Not Giving Up

S/C/G: 147/ticker/fit

Height: 5' 0.7"

I don't know if I dress my age or not. I'm 28. I wear what makes me feel comfortable. Whether it be skinny jeans or bootcut jeans. My style depends on how i feel each day.

I just cant get into the whole age-appropriate thing. I do know my limits though. I will not wear anything that will make me look like a middle/high school girl. There are juniors section and there are misses. There isn't a section in the store that screams 20-somethings.
Ryler832 is offline   Reply With Quote