Old 10-19-2011, 09:09 PM   #1  
It's me, Ashleyyy!

S/C/G: 291/~/185

Height: 5'8"

Default Bikes

Hey, I know it is about to be winter but by the time I have the money and figure out what I want it will be warm again. I live about 7 miles from school and I think I could bike it. I don't like the skinny wheels, I don't like the tiny seat, but I also don't want a 60 lb bike. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
smashlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #2  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I have a hybrid - it's a cross between a road bike (skinny wheels) and a mountain bike (huge wheels) and the seat isn't tiny. It's pretty light, I'm able to carry up and down the metro stairs fairly easily. The only thing is, the lighter you want it, the more expensive it's going to be. I think mine was about $400 (it was a combo birthday/christmas/congrats on a triathlon present).
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

A Giant Roam might be a good option for you.
I would suggest heading down to a Bike retail store (not walmart, kmart, etc) and test out a few bikes. They will let you ride around in the parking lot to get a feel for what suits you.

You don't have to buy it at that store but at least you'll know what your options are!

Also, remember parts are exchangeable. If there is a certain bike with the right (light) frame for you but the seat is small, you can always buy a bigger more comfy seat.

Also if you decide to buy from a bike retailer, shop around and see what kind of service package comes with the bike. Some places have great prices on bikes plus free tune-ups for life.
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:15 AM   #4  
It's me, Ashleyyy!

S/C/G: 291/~/185

Height: 5'8"

Thanks!
smashlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:37 AM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I got this cheap thing from walmart because I needed a bike and didn't have enough money for a nice one. My brother messed up, left garage open and my bike got stolen, great, eh?

It's pretty nice and I love the retro look. The seat is big and comfy too!

Last edited by sontaikle; 10-22-2011 at 07:39 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 176/173/155

Height: 5'7

I really like my Specialized CrossRoads bike for a hybrid bike with thicker tires. I also have a flat-bar road bike from Jamis that I think is classified as a commuter bike. It's got thinner tires than my Specialized, but is lighter, and runs a little faster. However, since it's aluminum frame, it doesn't ride quite as smoothly as the CrossRoads.

I'd suggest looking at a local bike collective or specialty bike shop for a good refurbished bike. You can find good deals on Craigslist, too. Also, regardless of the bike you get, you can change out the seat for a more comfortable one.

Happy Hunting!
kariatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'1"

Hybrid. I have a Trek 7.2 FX WSD. Love it. I use it to commute. I will tell you though, with just commuting only 9 miles per day, I now want a road bike. I started out with a big butt seat, and now, I use a racing saddle and wish I had a road bike with the skinny wheels, and I don't race. So maybe get a road bike with dropped bars (something you can grow into) and an aluminum frame and a slight larger saddle. You can change a saddle out pretty inexpensively as you get accustomed to it.
Ursula745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 172 / 165 / 145

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunSize View Post
A Giant Roam might be a good option for you.
I would suggest heading down to a Bike retail store (not walmart, kmart, etc) and test out a few bikes. They will let you ride around in the parking lot to get a feel for what suits you.

You don't have to buy it at that store but at least you'll know what your options are!

Also, remember parts are exchangeable. If there is a certain bike with the right (light) frame for you but the seat is small, you can always buy a bigger more comfy seat.

Also if you decide to buy from a bike retailer, shop around and see what kind of service package comes with the bike. Some places have great prices on bikes plus free tune-ups for life.

This.

Basically, yes - a bike retail store is the way to go. The type of bike you'll want to buy will definitely vary based on your geographical location. The people who work at these kinds of stores will be able to give you advice on which one is best for you.

For example - I live in Vancouver, which is essentially a gradient between water ------> mountains. On the one hand, there are beaches everywhere. On the other hand, 40 minutes on public transit gets you to a mountain. What does this mean for the local terrain? It's hilly as heck! The most popular bikes here are fixed-gear and so-called 'city' bikes, where the rider sits very far foward and appears to lean on the handle bars. The lightness means they tackle the many hills with ease, and Vancouver is fairly well-strung with bicycle paths, so they have no problem operating in the city.

Whatever you do, try not to buy based on looks. I did that (mine's almost the same as the one pictured above) and it will come back to bite you in the butt

Good luck and happy riding! Buy a helmet and a bike bell and a bike light (safety first) and enjoy the wind through your hair
cellie is offline   Reply With Quote