Old 09-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/178/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Mind Games

My most successful self-manipulation trick has been to tell myself that I have to take a 15 min walk before I can watch tv: if I'm too tired to move my body for even 15 minutes then I'm too tired to veg-out and need to sleep. Usually by the time I'm done I'd rather keep going than watch tv anyway.
So what are some other tricks you use? I'm looking for knew ideas and insights into the psychology of weight loss... hopefully something i can use to psych myself out on those days when the gym seems evil lol
nrz242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #2  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Thats a good one. I generally try to get some housework done before I spend any time crocheting or knitting...its like I have to earn that time. Of course, I may just give myself 15 minutes to do a quick tidy, but its a win win.

I do believe if I have time for "X", I have time to exercise tho.

I also tell myself, when I want more, that it isn't the last time in life that a certain food will be available, and I can have more another day.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 238/197/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124chicksinger View Post
I also tell myself, when I want more, that it isn't the last time in life that a certain food will be available, and I can have more another day.
This is a really good one! I think i'm going to have to tell myself that more often.
Huzzahforska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

When I'm done cooking dinner (I usually make extra for lunches later in the week) I put one portion on my plate and the rest in tuperware and into the fridge before I start eating so its not sitting out for me to take seconds (same idea with takeout).
spetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 168/148/135

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124chicksinger View Post
Thats a good one. I generally try to get some housework done before I spend any time crocheting or knitting...its like I have to earn that time. Of course, I may just give myself 15 minutes to do a quick tidy, but its a win win.

I do believe if I have time for "X", I have time to exercise tho.

This is a really big one for me. Like, no, you can't have that piece of pizza today because it doesn't fit into your plan. But no worries, have it tomorrow or next week! It's so simple but easy and very rational.
lissvarna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/162/140

Height: 5'7"

I allow myself to watch MTV when I work out. Like, the trashiest reality TV shows...Jersey Shore, anyone? Anyway, I mowed through all four seasons and will need another workout show
MustardFan is offline   Reply With Quote