Old 02-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/200/130

Height: 5'7"

Default Before or After?

Hey ladies, I recently started working out and I have a quick question: is it better to eat before or after you work out? I've been going right after work and then eating diner after I go...but I'll change up my schedule if needed...or just wait a little longer to eat diner (though I don't really know what this would accomplish). Or does it not matter?

In somewhat related news: for the first time EVER I ran 2 miles straight! I think I was going slowly (speed set at 5). BUT I've NEVER been able to go more than a mile before. EVER!! So I'm pretty excited by that...I don't understand how I got that in shape, but some things you just don't question...
wibblewobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #2  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

I like to eat afterwards because i'm usually famished when I'm done. Plus when I have food before I can feel in move in my stomache and it causes me to have stomach pains.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #3  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Well, firstly congrats on your 2 miles A few of my good runner friends say don't worry about the speed, work on your distance and speed will come.

Secondly, I think when to eat is dependent on YOU. I know there are a lot of people who swear by eating before they work out, but I can't do it. If I have a lot of food in my stomach I feel gross and its hard for me to move while working out, especially when it comes to running or spinning. The most I can have is a small piece of fruit about 20 minutes before I start, other than that - nothing.

If I'm working out in the morning, I make sure I have a good dinner the night before and I'm well hydrated, but I don't really eat before I start.

I think you have to find what works for you. If you can exercise to full capacity without eating before hand, then go for it. If you feel faint, etc, then maybe try having something high in protein/carbs before working out to get some quick energy.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #4  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

When I go to the gym right after work I'll usually have my afternoon snack right before I leave the office. It's usually 45 minutes by the time I drive to the gym and get changed before working out. If I don't have this snack I get so hungry during my workout and then I am way too tempted by the fast food between the gym and home!
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I read somewhere eating after dinner is great cuz you are still burning calories pretty fast. Don't know how true that is but if eating after works for you then do it.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 241/188.8/120

Height: 5' 2"

I have to agree with Stella on this one. I think it depends on you. Some people prefer to eat before, some after. I do go back and forth, but if I eat too much food too soon before it never works out well for me because then I feel nasty the whole time I am working out.

Way to go on the running thing, too! I can't wait until I can do a couple of miles. I think 5 is a pretty decent pace for starting out. :-)
audri8301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #7  
Brighter than the moon!

I started out running at 4 mph, and that was difficult, so you're off to an amazing start
Old 02-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #8  
Smile :)

S/C/G: 180/Ticker/Ticker

Height: 5'8"

Everyone has their own method that works for them.
The ACSM teaches that you shouldnt work out an a completely empty stomach so its prefered to have a little carb snack like a banana or something and give it time to settle in a little. This gives you energy for your workout. After a workout is when your body really needs to refuel with some good proteins. The problem is a lot of people arent hungry after a workout but that 30-60 minutes after it critical to restoring protein to your body.
If you find your not hungry for a meal right after your workout just have a little high protein snack, like some almonds or whatever you like
Congrats on your 2 miles!
KellyMarie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #9  
Working it out!

S/C/G: 219/ticker/135

Height: 5'4'

I agree with the above posters, you should work out whenever you can! Working out is always good no matter when it is!

For me, what works best is working out in the morning BEFORE eating. If you have the chance to do this, I highly recommend it. It has helped me extremely. I have yet to plateau and my trainer recommends it because you're body is forced to use stored fat for energy during the workout. IT seems to work wonders for everyone in our BC.

You are doing GREAT no matter when you are working out, congrats!
Krizstyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 231/ticker/165

Height: 6'1

I was reading an article today which said you work out in the morning, you should have something like an apple or banana pre-gym and then a proper breakfast after. I suppose the same applies in the evening, have something light before hand....

Quote:
Exercise on an empty stomach and you'll burn off fat cells to provide energy, so the myth goes. But it's not so, and eventually this method will turn counterproductive. "At first, glycogen is used, then adrenaline, so you might get a bit of potential fat loss, but it's not quite that simple," explains Marber. "The more often you lay down fat and try to dip into it, the less likely it will be that your fat cells will give their fat up." So go for an apple or banana before your early-morning workout, then have an second breakfast post-gym.
This is the article (written by a friend!)

Last edited by LucyFM; 02-01-2011 at 01:48 PM.
LucyFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #11  
Tori

S/C/G: 172/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

I agree with what everyone has said, and congrats on your mile!

I eat before and after the gym and it works for me.
I eat about an hour before I go, and just something light, then some protein when I get home if it's before lunch/dinner time.
I cant work out on an empty stomach I get too tired too fast, and I'm starving when I leave
torito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #12  
Working it out!

S/C/G: 219/ticker/135

Height: 5'4'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyFM View Post
I was reading an article today which said you work out in the morning, you should have something like an apple or banana pre-gym and then a proper breakfast after. I suppose the same applies in the evening, have something light before hand....

This is the article (written by a friend!)
This is an article on actual studies done about working out w/o eating before vs. eating after. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37492881/ns/health-fitness/

I think scientists have been arguing about this for decades which is why, you should just work out whenever you have the time. IT's better than not doing it at all.

Last edited by Krizstyling; 02-01-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Krizstyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #13  
Brighter than the moon!

Right. I think the best answer is "do what works for you."
Old 02-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 229/185/155

Awesome awesome awesome, high five and congrats!

On food, it is true that it totally depends on the person. But most "experts" (ha) say to eat 200 calories or so pre workout and 300 or so after. You're supposed to eat your carbs after a workout because your metabolism is up and will burn them quicker. I eat a banana with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter (and enough coffee to kill a small horse) before I swim for an hour and that suits me just fine. Then I eat right after. But it's so individual, whatever works for you.
bleujean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #15  
Newbie Nurse

S/C/G: 285/250/281

Height: 5'9"

it's recommended a light protein and carb approx 45 min prior to exercise
JMfan is offline   Reply With Quote