Old 12-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #16  
Working it out!

S/C/G: 219/ticker/135

Height: 5'4'

Losing weight is totally attainable through diet alone. The question you have to ask yourself is if you want to live a healthy lifestyle and maintain it? Living a healthy lifestyle isn't just about eating right just like it's not JUST about working out. You have to incorporate both.

I've had tons of friends who've lost anywhere from 20-100+ pounds and have done it through diet alone. That's cool but honestly in my personal opinion, none of them looked halfway as tone as I look already in 3 months and they were smaller than me. The saddest part is, they gained it all back. Every last one of them!

I'm not a big fan of what I call "Skinny-fat". People who are thin but have no muscle.

I am sure many may not agree but just throwing it out there. If it's hard for you to work out in the beginning, fine. Don't do it. But later on maybe you'll want to see the benefits both health wise and look wise of what working out can do for you.

Studies have shown that in order to maintain a healthy weight and not gain every year when you're NOT dieting and just maintaining, women should work out 5-7x a week for an hour each. Just stating the facts. It's all about your HEALTH so why not take both steps? At least at some point during your journey.

Being serious about your health involves more than just eating right, it involves all kinds of sacrifices and working out (Time) is one of em.

I wish you MUCH MUCH luck and success! I know you can do it and these boards are a GREAT start =)
Krizstyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 203/203/165

Height: 5'5

I hate typical working out (running, ellipitical, stairmaster, etc). I really truly don't like it - but I found a "work out" that I do enjoy which is martial arts. My FIL is a Martial Arts expert and I've been going to his gym. We incorporate that with weights - and it's fun. It's a GREAT stress reliver. I guess my point is that there is probably some form of exercise that everyone can find they like, weather it's running, dancing, swimming, weights, skiing, martial arts or whatever.

To me, the best part of how much STRONGER I feel. I can lift things I couldn't and do things I couldn't and that's a cool feeling.

Just be aware that if you start exercising, at least for me, your scale may not move right away. My muscles were retaining water and I was actually weighing more. I've only lost a total of 4 lbs, but I can already tell a difference in how my clothes fit.

Anyway - just my two cents. =)
oppscdaizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:58 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 223/SeeTicker/135

Height: 5'5"

Same here. I have 18 months old twins ;-) I really understand how worn out you can be at the end of the day.

I have not exercised a day yet. I heard somewhere that 70% of weight loss success depends on the diet and the rest on exercise. It's important to do but I think if i eat right, it works.

I lost 25 lb in the last 3 months by diet alone (196 lb to 171 lb now) eating 1,800 cal first and now 1,500 cal. It works for me but I am planning to incorporate cardio soon as I feel like I am hitting plateau.

Good luck!
Kateryna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 199/141.8/145

Height: 5'7''

I haven't been following any type of diet just eating more "clean" foods and omitting certain things that I know help me pack on pounds. I have just recently started to workout because I used to workout TONS and the previous me at the same weight was much smaller and less flabby. So yes you can lose the weight without exercise but your body will look completely different then it would if you were working out.
hippieheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:42 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 390/ticker/220

Height: 6'2"

I just started on my weight loss journey 18 days ago, so I'm not sure how qualified I am to add my two cents on this issue...but I have only been focusing on exercising on the weekends and holidays (when I am not working). Using my BodyMedia Fit, I have been tracking my calories burned and have found that I burn 4500-4800 calories a day on a work day, whereas I burn 2500-3700 on the weekend. Since I usually eat 2000-3000 calories a day, I've found I must exercise on my non-work days to keep up the weight loss (it's been really difficult to cut back on my food consumption on the weekends to compensate).
lolas is offline   Reply With Quote