3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Did anyone start their journey with diet and no exercise? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/218427-did-anyone-start-their-journey-diet-no-exercise.html)

Butterfly7 11-29-2010 07:25 PM

Did anyone start their journey with diet and no exercise?

I have a 1 year old and my only time slot to exercise is at 5pm. I am usually so worn out from daily activities and cleaning that I don't feel like exercising. I am also currently doing calorie counting at 1200 per day. I started this less than two weeks ago though I'm not a stranger to weightloss because I have lost 60lbs previously exercising for 1 hour everyday and calorie counting the same as I am now. I was hoping to do no exercise for this first month and then add in exercise gradually and just increase walking, etc as I lose more and move easier. Plus, that is when I think I will start to plateau from my body adjusting to the new calorie intake so I feel like exercise would keep me going then. My starting weight was 222 at 5'6" and right now I'm 217 so 5 ish lbs in 1 1/2 weeks.

I am just wondering if anyone only diets vs. diet/exercise. I know both is really superior but I wonder if anyone ever does calorie counting or diet delivery programs and has results without exercise?

Skinnycow 11-29-2010 07:44 PM

I've been doing weight watchers @ home and I don't exercise at all. I know I should, but I'm just so lazy. I'm really planning to start exercising December 1st. I've managed to lose close to 100 lbs since March '09 without exercise.

Ivonnely 11-29-2010 08:13 PM

I lost 60 pounds in the first 3 months of my journey, well, I gained back 6 pounds over the holiday but going back on plan.

I don't have specific exercise routine such as running or going to gym/blah. I go to school in the morning and work in the afternoon(waitress type of job) and I only eat from 700-1200 calories per day.

I was losing 1-2pound per week when I hit 170 mark, very difficult, I thought about increasing my cardio and stuff but I don't have much time =(

just keep swimming 11-29-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skinnycow (Post 3586943)
I know I should, but I'm just so lazy.

Ditto x 100. Although you've done quite well, wouldn't you say?! The only exercise I like is walking outside, and it's getting so dark and cold all the time that I just don't want to. :lol:

krampus 11-29-2010 08:29 PM

When I started I didn't exercise, just ate less. It's totally possible to lose weight without exercising. A lot of people find they want to tone up and get muscles midway through their journeys. In my case I got really into shaping up my legs through running.

angelanicole23 11-29-2010 09:29 PM

I didn't exercise for a few months into my dieting. I did Weight watchers on my own at home (had the material and did not pay for meetings) and did really well losing weight without it. I do think that weight loss is 75% food and 25% exercise..however I think the exercise will speed up the weightloss of course. I slowly got into exercising by walking daily (my car broke down so I walked to/from work....50 mins altogether).

Yes it can be done!

Butterfly7 11-29-2010 09:41 PM

Whew, I feel relieved! I just haven't ever heard anyone talk about it, you know? Thanks for responding everyone. I think I will continue on diet alone until I see my weightloss start to plateau or notice that I am losing any muscle and then add in exercise. I'm lazy about exercise too. Maybe now if I start without the pressure of having to work out, then I will only start to do it when I truly want to and then won't fail at it. In the past when I stopped working out I would also stop dieting for some reason so at least now I'm fully committed to the nutrition side of things.

KawaiiCandie 11-29-2010 10:13 PM

yeah, you can totally do it. exercise doesn't make you lose that much, it just makes you less flabby, haha...

i hate it with a firery passion too, and i've lost 50lbs in the past (on another occasion) with no exercise at all, and this time around i didn't exercise for about two months and then started when i was in the middle of a really long plateau. i don't work out nearly as much as some of the other chicks on here, but i figure every little bit helps ;)

mkendrick 11-29-2010 10:45 PM

I have been at the whole game for about a year. I truly dislike exercise just for the sake of exercise. I enjoy being active, I like doing things and moving and such, but I don't like to "work out." I started off and lost my first 25lbs with NO exercise. As in, practically a completely sedentary lifestyle. I plateaued, but in retrospect, I think that was probably because I wasn't truly counting my calories just cutting back. I went from no exercise to 90 minutes at the gym every morning doing the stairmaster, elliptical, treadmill, and strength training. I was in pretty good shape, but I hated and resented every minute of it. I started to lose again, but that was also around the time when I started to rigidly calorie count...I'm guessing that had more to do with my weight loss than the actual exercise.

At the end of that semester (Spring '10 semester), my schedule changed and it through my gym routine off. Aaaand, I just never got back into it. I just hate it too badly, it wasn't sustainable to me. So I lost the last 10-15lbs or so without real "work outs." I DO make sure I get at least 60 minutes of activity nearly everyday. I go for a 15 minute walk the first thing when I wake up, and then I might go on a few more walks or I might count vigorous cleaning or going to the grocery store and walk through every aisle. I've even driven to the mall just to walk and window shop if I'm especially unmotivated to move that day. I love browsing stores and people watching, and I can easily spend 2 or 3 hours at the mall. Obviously not the same as jacking the heart rate up on the treadmill or pumping weight reps, but that's 2 or 3 hours that I'm up and moving and NOT sitting on my butt.

So I have made a conscious effort to be more active in everyday life, but I do not "exercise."

NaturalStupidit 11-30-2010 07:02 AM

My brother in law has lost over 100lbs by JUST eating less/healthier with no exercise. (I didn't think he ate that bad or much before. . . apparently he did!) At this point he starting to look gaunt and stickley.

LillyLover 11-30-2010 09:07 AM

I'm not working out, and I've lost about 25 pounds since September/October. I used to work out a lotttt thinking that exercise alone would help me lose weight, but it absolutely didn't because I still wasn't eating properly. So this time, I decided to get my eating act together first. Eating healthy has always been harder for me than working out.

Once I hit goal, I will head back to the gym again because I feel flabby and want to tone up, which working out definitely does. I'm hoping to get to goal around the 15th...we'll see!

LiannaKole 11-30-2010 02:48 PM

I started out with very limited exercise. Like, short walks. I COULD have done more, but I didn't want to. I still lost weight just fine with calorie counting.

Now I work out for 1.5 hours twice a week minimum. I won't be working out for the next week and a half, though, because I am in a death spiral for finals and my job. During my break from school, I'll be working out 6 days minimum each week.

I don't like exercise. But I do like being able to run. I couldn't run 25 minutes when I started, and I hated it. Now I can do that no problem. It's not going to turn into a marathon or anything, but I like having the ability to run. :)

I wouldn't worry about exercise until you need to if it's something you dislike. And when you do exercise, do what you like and what you can fit into your schedule. That way you won't want to quit right away (like what happens to me every time I push myself to do too much stuff I hate, lol!).

And 5 lbs in 1 1/2 weeks is great!

mojolove05 11-30-2010 04:53 PM

I've always had the intentions of exercising, but I can't get motivated to do it lol. I've lost 75 pounds with just eating right. =)

BassAckwards 11-30-2010 07:45 PM

Yes! I've lost 50 pounds with little to no exercise. I went through a spurt at the beginning when I did like 30 min of elliptical a few days a week but it didn't last long ... and then I had to move and now my elliptical is in pieces. Then when the weather was nicer I would try to walk after work but it didn't happen daily ... and some weeks not at all or maybe just one night a week. I still lost 50 pounds though ... so it can happen.

EmpressB 12-01-2010 10:46 PM

I am new to the weightloss journey and I have been exercising for 30 minutes most days, whether it is just regular walking around my neighborhood, stationary bike, going up and down the stairs in my home a couple times, doing the ab lounge or simply putting some music on and dancing my butt off just basic stuff. I have not been hardcore working out.

I think with a 1 year old, you get plenty of exercise! I think as long as you aren't just sitting at a desk or on the couch all day, you get more exercise than you think. I'd just take the baby to a park or run around the house with him/her and burn a few calories that way. I'd also get a pedometer and wear it around the house as I go about my day to track how much you really do move around, you'd probably be surprised that you're doing more than you think. I also read that you can get your exercise in by doing the things you would do around your house in a more exaggerated way (like wiping the counter in large circles to work your arms, sweeping etc). I think small changes are better than none and while I hope to one day get to the point where I am sweating to some Jillian Michaels for fun and running miles...I am not at that point, but I am definitely doing more than I normally would, so that's what counts and I just try to "spice up" the things I do around my house so they can count as being active lol.

Anyway, I've heard of people who have simply changed their eating habits and lost weight without an exercise regimen. It definitely is possible. But I suppose exercise speeds the process up and tones you up so u look sleek and sexy.