Old 09-23-2010, 11:54 PM   #1  
Getting healthy!

Height: 5'7"

Default How do you find time to work out?

When I started my weight loss journey, it was at the beginning of summer which gave me an endless amount of free time to work out when I wanted and to push myself when I needed. But, now that I'm back in class for college, I just can't seem to find the time anymore! I'm either too tired when I'm done with everything, or college work ends up keeping me up late.

So, how do you find time to work out when you have a busy schedule?
Paramedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:04 AM   #2  

Well I got lucky this term. I'm a full time college student and I'm almost finished with my associates. I just needed two classes this term, and I was able to find them both online. I got pretty lucky. So I'm able to be a little more flexible with my schedule as long as I get everything turned in on time with assignments and doing tests. I usually like to workout now days in the evening before bed time. If I'm going to do something where I may get pretty sweaty I'll do it either the late afternoon (no later then 4:30pm) or the early evening around 7:30pm. At the beginning of the day I'll make a mental schedule of what all I need/want to do for that day and I stick with it. I try to exercise at least three times a week if I can five.

Last edited by LittlePinky82; 09-24-2010 at 12:05 AM.
LittlePinky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/135.8/13?

Height: 5'6"

I find the time by making the time. I workout 3 times a week at the same time ever MWF. The only time I 'find' the time is for a possible forth workout on Saturday. Having workouts as a real part of my schedule means that I actually go.

Maybe this idea will help. Think of the gym as an extra class. It has a set schedule and you activity gauge your progress. That way, skipping the gym would kinda be like skipping math or English class, rather than just not being able to find the time.
flashfacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:15 AM   #4  
Rather be riding!

S/C/G: 81.5/75.1/60 since 18Feb2015

Height: 157 cm

I go running first thing in the morning. Literally 15-20 minutes after I have rolled out of bed I am running on the treadmill. Works great to perk me up for the day and then I don't have to spend the entire day knowing I have to drag my *** to the gym.
LuckyDVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 216/210/140

Height: 5'4"

I usually just do it after I've done all my work and right before I go to bed. I somehow just find the motivation to do it even if it's been a busy day. Since I'm so tired after I've worked out, it's always much easier for me to fall asleep than when I don't workout before bed, so it works out.

Have you tried taking small breaks from your homework and using that time to exercise? It doesn't even have to be a full hour - maybe just twenty minutes; then just get back to work! I have to do this at times when I have an enormous amount of work to do. The exercise breaks actually help me complete my work faster because I come back to it refreshed, instead of sitting there for hours straining my brain!
Northern Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:12 AM   #6  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

maybe you could just really closely look at your schedule. most of us have a spare 10-15 min. doing short intense w/o is really effective. wt training is super fast, and dont need it everyday. walking all over campus, walking while you wait for something, talking the stairs, anything that increases your movement. calf raises while you do something else. i wash dishes, but w/e works. dont make any rules/excuses. any time you have the time/energy is the time to w/o. doesnt matter the time of day, long as it works for you.

also if you can plan/prep your meals for the week in advance that could free up some time, and decrease the chance you grab some pizza ect, if thats a temptation for you.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:22 AM   #7  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I agree you have to make time, or you will never find it! I always try to work out in the morning, because then there is no chance for me to make excuses or get overwhelmed with work or make other plans or for unexpected things to happen which stop me going. I also think that I have more energy in the morning so that makes it a bit easier
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:04 AM   #8  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

Height: 5'3"

i once read in an article that you have to find the time slot and then treat working out like you would an important appointment.

for me, what i do is i figure out what time, and if i'm feeling lazy i will go to the gym and convince myself to do half my workout. by the time im halfway i suddenly think, hey, why not go all the way
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:34 AM   #9  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

My exercise is walking, so I'm able to combine that with doing essential shopping (no bus service into the city). I deliberately walk farther than I need to but combining it with other things that have to be done definitely makes finding time easier.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:35 AM   #10  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDVL View Post
I go running first thing in the morning. Literally 15-20 minutes after I have rolled out of bed I am running on the treadmill. Works great to perk me up for the day and then I don't have to spend the entire day knowing I have to drag my *** to the gym.
Me too! I sleep in my workout clothes. When I wake up (5-5:30am), before I even think about it, I get on my recumbent exercise bike first thing for 35-40 minutes 5-6x a week, no excuses. By the time I'm done I'm awake and ready to start the day. I also go to the gym 3x a week over my noon hour at work for weight training. Exercise had got to be a priority and scheduled. I work and have a family btw.

Last edited by losermom; 09-24-2010 at 07:36 AM.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:40 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 275/274.8/150

Height: 5'2"

First aspect of what I do is I do it in the morning as soon as I get up, so that I don't have all day to make excuses for not going to the gym. Second aspect is that I set that specific time aside for working out and don't let anything else get in the way.

Basically, on MWF, I have to leave for the bus at 10:30a.m., so I get up at 8a.m. and by the time I am ready to go to the gym, I have 45 minutes at the gym for cardio. On Tuesday/Thursday, I have to leave for the bus at 11a.m., so I still get up at 8a.m. and do 45 minutes of cardio + upper body strength training. So that time, from either 8a.m. - 9a.m. or 8a.m. - 9:30a.m. depending on the day, is reserved for working out. I could sleep in until 9a.m. or 9:30a.m. every day and, believe me, sometimes I really want to, but it's not worth it.

The third aspect is that I use the bike for my cardio, which is really quite efficient as long as you keep your heart rate up (90+ rpm at a higher level...at level 9 right now). And it's easiest to read and do the bike. So a lot of the time I will bring my reading for school with me to the gym and that way I don't feel like I'm "wasting time" or whatever else while I'm there. Fitness + studying.

And the biggest thing, for me at least, is not giving up when you miss a day. Usually if I miss Wednesday for some reason then I'll miss Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. That's something I fight with myself over. So if you have to miss a day because you're too busy or too exhausted, that's fine, but jump back on the horse the next day. Make working out a priority.

Some other tips: walk as much as you can to your classes. I happen to live the farthest away from my classes as possible yet still be on campus, so I take the bus because I don't want to be drenched in sweat all day. When it gets colder, I may consider walking that distance to class. Also, take the stairs. I mean, it's understandable if you need to go to the 7th floor or something like that (I usually take the elevator at the library) but if it's 3-4 flights or less, take the stairs. There's a lot of sitting involved with class so if you have breaks, it's a good idea to walk around. I usually do homework during my breaks but even standing and reading a book or walking and reading a book if you're that coordinated is a better idea than sitting all through class AND all through your breaks.

And, finally, many of my friends take a P.E. class for credit-only every semester just so they feel more like they have to go and so they can learn more about other types of exercise. It may be too late at this point in the semester to add a class or your schedule may be too full, but if this type of thing appeals to you, you may consider doing it next semester.

Last edited by myfishpajamas; 09-24-2010 at 08:48 AM.
myfishpajamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:06 PM   #12  
Getting healthy!

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for sharing, ladies!

I'll definitely consider some of the suggestions I got (especially about just MAKING time to work out)
Paramedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #13  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I make time. I know my schedule week to week, and I sit down and say okay, this is what I'm going to do on X day. I give myself a little wiggle room (like my rest day on Monday vs. Thursday) but I basically just schedule it in and then its not an option

Also, the fact that my classes are in the same building as the gym at school REALLY helps.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/130

Height: 5'5

I know how you feel. I am a college student, I work full time and I have a puppy. But I still work out six days a week. I just do it early in the morning, before my day begins. I have way more energy, and it feels good to know that I have my workout done for the day at 6 in the morning. You just have to make the time, and find out what balance works for you!! Good luck!
Liss1485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:39 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 258/229.2/160

Knowing that you just have to make the time is easier than actually doing it. I just committed to running a 5k in November, and the fear of being humiliated come race day should keep a fire lit under my butt. I feel a little panicked right now like I should leave work and get started omgrightthissecond, haha. I'll let you know how this motivation holds up.

Anyway, maybe try setting a goal of a race or something that you know you have to prepare for. I'm thinking by the time this goal rolls around I'll be totally in the exercise groove and won't have to fight with myself so much about getting out there and doing it.
AmandaW is offline   Reply With Quote