Old 09-08-2010, 09:24 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetyKins View Post
I'm about the same height and I have the same goal of 135 so I know it is very healthy within my BMI range. I'm just a little over 5.6 and my healthly range is anywhere from 155 - 125 pounds. At 125 I would be starving myself but at 140-135 I am very confident in my own skin and I feel I can still enjoy life.

You go girl!

There is no need for them to even know that you're still trying to lose weight. Keep it a secret for your own.
This is a perfect example of why you should go with what YOU think.

I'm 5'6 (1/2 ) and I'm uncomfortable with my body at 140 - 135, which is why my goal weight is at the low end of what's considered "healthy."

You know your body better than anyone else. Trust yourself and do what makes you happy.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

stella said what I was going to say...

people always tell me I'm skinny enough and not to lose more weight... but thats because they arent use to you being soooo little....

and even though now I'm one of the "skinny" girls I'm still not where I personally want to be and thats all that matters to me
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 234.3 / 232.6 / 130

Height: 5'3"

At the end of the day, how you feel about you has to come from you, and not from other people and what they say or think about you. This is a lesson I'm in the middle of learning right now, but I wanted to share it. If you're not comfortable where you're at and you want to continue to lose weight, that's up to you. You are the boss of you, and you know if you are being healthy or not.

On a different tangent, I once got accused of being anorexic a few years ago when I was 200+ pounds because I was keeping a food journal and there were a couple days I ate less than 900 calories cause I wasn't feeling well and my roommate saw the pages in my journal and she talked to the dorm manager about it because she was worried about me. It made me mad, and embarrassed, and offended, but I also realized that she really was concerned about me. Years later, I still think she should have let me worry about myself but at least I had friends that thought beyond my weight to care about my actual health. Maybe this is part of what's going on with the people in your life too.
brooksrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #19  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I haven't lost enough weight yet to be getting those kinds of comments, but I'm worried that they'll come. I tend to mentally try to prepare myself to NOT give worrisome answers (like, "it's my body and I can do what I want with it!" - they hear, "I'm not eating anymore" and freak out). Unfortunately, they tend to slip out. Or I seem evasive and they assume the worst (I don't like talking about my weight, bad or good - I stick to my weight loss better when I don't discuss it).

But I'm working hard to stay healthy (eating lean proteins, whole grains, fruits and veggies, legumes, and some treats), exercise, and to eat a healthy amount but still lose weight. I love food too much to starve, and I have a phobia of puking, so that limits my unhealthy options.

One friend in particular (she used to be more like my best friend), she gets very upset when I lose weight. She's insecure about me already (I couldn't tell you why if I wanted to). A couple years back I lost quite a bit of weight (from a size 14 to a 6) and she had a freak out. She's a size 7 (whoa, just realized I was smaller than her) and very skinny. She freaked out that she was going to gain weight and be fat and now I was small, so... she never did finish that thought. It freaked the **** out of me.

Now I don't tell anyone I'm trying to lose weight. If they notice and go, "Wow, you've lost weight!" I say, "Yeah, a little. Thanks for noticing." Even after I recently hit the 30 lb mark (Yay! I'm no longer considered obese!), I didn't tell anyone. I celebrated, though! Happy dancing galore!

Do what makes you feel best, and what's within reason. You goal is healthy (a BMI of like 20, I think), so you're fine.

Good luck, and I hope your friends decide to support you - you deserve it!

LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #20  
Jessica

S/C/G: 210/202/160

Height: 5.2

I think part of the problem is judging health on looks... I mean my friend who is naturally skinny I think she weights like 120 pounds and 5.7.. she still has cellulite and her doc says shes healthy.. though people are aways saying shes too skinny... people are gonna say stuff no matter what.. you're either too fat or too skinny there's no pleasing everyone, so just please yourself
JessicaRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #21  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

Hey,

You've already received lots of good advice about this, but I just wanna echo some of the general sentiments that I'm seeing here and share some of my personal experiences. I can only speak for myself, but I think it is definitely very important to view your "goal" as a work-in-progress rather than a number that you are 100% dedicated to achieving. For myself, choosing 150 lbs as my goal was literally a shot in the dark--I had been overweight/obese for my entire life, and certainly hadn't weighed under 200 lbs since years before puberty. I didn't know anything about what kind of body frame I had lurking beneath all the fat, so I couldn't even begin to imagine what weight would be "healthy" for me. 150 lbs seemed like a nice round number and it fell on the slightly higher end of the healthy range of weights for my height... and I kind of figured, Hey, I'm already dreaming, so why not shoot for the moon? LOL. However, like you, long before I reached my goal I started getting lots of remarks from friends/family that I looked great and that they hoped I didn't think I still had more to lose... This started when I was around 180 lbs, and but since I struggle with some BDD issues, I still perceived myself as fat and thought that those people were crazy--probably like you think the people telling you to stop are crazy.

With lots and lots of dietary restriction, I actually did end up getting down to juuust below 150 lbs at my very lowest weight. However, I know now that it really was not(/is not) healthy for me to go that low; not at all. I'm actually an inch taller than I thought I was when I was losing weight (oops ), and it turns out I have quite a large frame indeed--even at 170-180 lbs, my wrist/hip bones jut out and my ribs are pretty darn visible. Also, I know the whole "muscle is denser/weighs more than fat" argument is used a lot, but I think there's a lot of truth to it. When I stopped focusing so much on the number and began working out more instead of only watching my food intake, I definitely gained weight from the new muscle power. My body is a bit curvier now than it was before, and I'm not gonna lie--sometimes I definitely miss having that whole super-skinny look... But when it comes down to it, I know that I am much much healthier now, because this is where my weight settles naturally.

Anyways, this seems to have gotten a bit long-winded, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are *many* things that affect your ideal weight. You can certainly keep working towards the goal that you set--just to prove that you can --but you should not feel pressured (least of all by yourself!) to force yourself down to that number at any costs... Or to stay there once you get to it. If other people are telling you that you look great now, I would advise you that they are probably not entirely full of s**t, although you may also have a sabotager in your midst (oh, JOY). Hehe. But ultimately, your opinion is the only one that truly matters. You just have to find the weight range that makes YOU feel healthy and happy and confident, and that you don't have difficulty maintaining. Not an easy feat by any means, but you're already helping yourself a lot just by making sure that you keep these things in mind as you go down the road.
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #22  
ChubbyChicChick

S/C/G: 198/194/132

Height: 5'4''

My only suggestion would be to go to a doctor and figure out what your healthy weight is.

Then you'll know if you should shed those pounds you feel you don't need, or if everyone else is right.

60lbstogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 220/211/150

Height: 5'3"

If YOU are worried, then go to a doctor.

If not, and you're confident your lifestyle is healthy and you're making good decisions for yourself, I'd just think this, I like the way she put it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flythinlyns View Post
Isn't it funny how people think our weight is their buisness?

If people love you (like your mom and your friends) they'll TRUST YOU to be an adult, and make your own decisions.

Don't let other people make you question yourself. Be sure of your decisions and be confident. You're an adult (I think :P I mean....this is the internet so I can't be entire sure ) Act like an adult.

Something I've noticed lately, people will reflect back the level of confidence I exude. If I come across passive and unsure of myself, people will jump on the bandwagon I've created myself and start to question me and my decisions. If I present myself confidently and I KNOW that I KNOW that I KNOW what I'm talking about, I get a LOT LESS questioning about my decisions.

Be confident, and don't let other people make you feel unsure of your decisions. You can make good decisions, you've done GREAT thus far!
boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:19 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 186/178.5/155

Height: 5'7.5"

Wow...thanks you guys!!

All of the advice is really helpful. I actually *am* an adult, lol...but many times I seem to forget that I am an adult now and get to make decisions for myself.

I'm going to continue to lose weight, but I will keep in mind that I may be able to stop sooner than I think lol.

Again, thanks *SO* much, I really needed to hear it!!
Alicia87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #25  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

I've found that the "you need to make sure you don't lose too much" comments start as soon as people notice you're losing weight. When I've not gotten into a comment about my actual goal but just commented that I'm working with my doctor or I'm working with my doctor on my health, people tend to stop. I just ignore any follow up comment. May not work with family members, but fortunately mine are supportive of one another.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 190/*ticker*/140

Height: 5'6"

I read this thread last week and it was kind of ironic because I got these comments this weekend when my family came to visit. I mentioned that I don't want to buy anymore jeans until I lose another 20 - 30 pounds and my mom and sister freaked out. My sister was like you do not need to lose anymore weight which made me laugh. My mom said "10 lbs max" I just kind of laughed them off. I am 5'6 and 160 lbs... I can definitely stand to lose 20 lbs.. maybe even 25 or 30 (it just depends on how I feel once I get there). But they are convinced I don't need to go any further. I don't understand the motives. I'm guessing they think I look good where I'm at and there is "no need" to lose anymore. But I want to look even better! And, I'm not even considered a healthy weight yet.
caseygail21 is offline   Reply With Quote