Old 08-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/137/120

Height: 4'11''

Default I'm at my wits end!

Ok, so here is a little backstory so I can catch everybody up on what is going on.

I am 21 years old. All my life I was skinny, and very in shape. I cheerleaded, did gymnastics, etc. I never had to work out, never had to watch what I eat, nothing.

When I was about 17, I started noticing that I was gaining weight. I was buying new clothes and just coughed it up as I was shopping from new stores (which I was) and maybe the sizing was different there.

So, I noticed that it wasn't it, so I decided to start working out and eating healthy which was the only thing I could think to do. I lost about 10-15 pounds and was fine. I then all of a sudden ballooned (and when I say all of a sudden I am literally saying within a month) I gained about 40 pounds. I wasn't eating junk, I was watching what I was eating, everything. The heaviest I have been is 165. Now, since this has happend, my self esteem is non-existant, I'm really insecure and I don't go a day without crying.

I joined a new gym in May (may 1st to be exact) and was very determined. I went Monday-Tuesday-Thursday-Friday and would sometimes work out on the weekend if I wasn't busy or working. I worked my *** off. I would stay at the gym for 2-3 hours sometimes. Doing cardio, weights, crunches, everything. I cut SO much crap out of my diet, and was REALLY determined to lose weight this time (when I say this time it's because I would always try and then give up like a month later if I wasn't dropping pounds) but this time I stuck with it. Cut to now (August) and I have not lost 1 pound. I have worked my *** off and nothing. My legs got toned, that's about it. It's been 3 months and I haven't even lost a pound. I just don't know what else to do anymore. I was doing the ellyptical for 30-45 minutes depending on what time I got to the gym and the treadmill for an hour religiously everyday. I just don't know what else to do anymore. This has been an uphill battle for 4 years and I just don't know what to do anymore. Its killing my relationship with my boyfriend of 5 years, it's killing the fun I am supposed to be having since I'm young. Just for an example the other day we went shopping for an outfit for me because we were going out for his cousins bday and we went to 2 malls and a Target and I couldn't find ANYTHING that fit me. I sat in the dressing room and cried for 20 minutes because I just don't know what else to do. My mom said I could have a thyroid problem and I should get tested, but I don't want to spend all this money on tests just for them to turn around and say "your thyroid is fine and there is nothing wrong with you". My mom/dad/and boyfriend see that I'm busting my *** day in and day out and haven't eaten anything unhealthy and am basically working myself to the bone to lose weight and how nothing is happening.

My boyfriend is like well you looked a little bit toned and clothes were fitting that weren't but I wasn't losing any weight and I didn't look/feel any different. And the thing that kills me is he had to drop weight for the army and he worked out for a month (YES a month) and dropped 20 pounds and the first thing out of his families mouth when they saw him was "wow Dan, you look so great, have you been working out, you look so much slimmer" blah blah blah. And here I am working out for 3 months and nothing, and my friends and family have seen me since then and not once has anyone said, "O Jaim, have you been working out? You look good" or anything along those lines.

Like I said, I am at my WITS end and I just don't know what to do anymore. I don't know if I want to keep working out and busting my butt for so long at the gym to see no results. Or eat all this healthy food and watch what I eat and cut all these things out of my diet that I love just to see no results. I know I shouldn't give up but I hate the fact that I've tried and tried and tried for all these years and NOTHING is working. I just don't know what to do anymore and I need help!! What should I do if anything? Should I go get tested for my thyroid? Should I stop doing so much cardio? Should I eat anything differently? I've tried every diet, every diet pill, and I go online once a day and try to find new cardio workouts to do. I've talked to at least 15 personal trainers and they all tell me the same thing, do cardio and watch what you eat. I just need advice because this is killing me. I've been giving myself deadlines for things and the last deadline I have before I give up is the weekend of September 25-26. That's me and my boyfriends 5th yr anniversary and we are going away. And I told him I want to be in a little better shape so I actually have FUN and not worry about my weight and how I look the whole time. We went away 3 years ago, and while I had fun, I was constantly worrying about my weight. We've done so many things over the years that I would love to look back on, but can't because I HATE taking pictures. I have no pictures of anything fun we did because I avoid them at all costs I feel so bad for him but I can't help it. I know I'm probably talking in circles and this is probably MEGA long but to whoeever read this, thank you. And hopefully someone out there has some advice for me.
celigirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/143 - HW: 240

Height: 5'8''

It's really not normal to gain that much weight at once, and while gaining muscle as you lose fat can make the scale not change much, I would think you would have seen at least a little change. Did your measurements change any? Because if they have, who cares wht the scale says. Otherwise, I think it would be worth having your thyroid tested.
Laureedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #3  
Jessica

S/C/G: 210/202/160

Height: 5.2

Gaining 40 pounds in a month? Thats scary.. have you gone to a doctor? could be your hormones.. My mom had thyroid problems and she ballooned!!
JessicaRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Height: 5'9"

I agree. Have your thyroid tested.
ade903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 241/188.8/120

Height: 5' 2"

I know I'm just echoing the others, but I think it's important that you go see a doctor to get checked out. It sounds like something is wrong.
audri8301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureedee View Post
It's really not normal to gain that much weight at once, and while gaining muscle as you lose fat can make the scale not change much, I would think you would have seen at least a little change. Did your measurements change any? Because if they have, who cares wht the scale says. Otherwise, I think it would be worth having your thyroid tested.
No. I thought maybe my chest was getting smaller (I used to be a full C, and now I'm a 38DD) but when I went to go try on bras it was the same size. I measured everything and nothing had changed. The only difference I saw was my legs got toned slightly but that's it. Everything else stayed the same.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #7  
back at it

S/C/G: 178/175/145

Height: 5'8"

Make an appointment to see a doctor. In the meantime, keep a detailed food diary and exercise log.
denice81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:55 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by denice81 View Post
Make an appointment to see a doctor. In the meantime, keep a detailed food diary and exercise log.
I was smart enough to start that when I started going to the gym in May, so I have a detailed book of every excercise I have done, things I have eaten/drank and everything like that, so hopefully that will help with something.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaRT View Post
Gaining 40 pounds in a month? Thats scary.. have you gone to a doctor? could be your hormones.. My mom had thyroid problems and she ballooned!!
When she got tested, what kind of medication did they put her on? I don't mean to pry, but my boyfriend's brother had a thyroid problem and they gave him this "gel" that he had to rub on his tummy. Did she loose any weight after going on medication, if she did?
Old 08-11-2010, 02:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 258/229.2/160

Height: 5'6"

I have had a thyroid issue and have since I was super young. A couple of years ago I got all screwed up and pretty much quit taking my meds. It was awful on my body.. as soon as I'm back on it, my whole body changes and the weight starts dropping. I'm on Synthroid for it.

Definitely get checked, there has to be an issue keeping you from losing. Not to get too personal, but how has your monthly cycle been, as far as regularity?
AmandaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaW View Post
I have had a thyroid issue and have since I was super young. A couple of years ago I got all screwed up and pretty much quit taking my meds. It was awful on my body.. as soon as I'm back on it, my whole body changes and the weight starts dropping. I'm on Synthroid for it.

Definitely get checked, there has to be an issue keeping you from losing. Not to get too personal, but how has your monthly cycle been, as far as regularity?
I went on BC a little bit after I started gaining weight, and then went off of it because I switched jobs and lost my insurance and couldn't pay for it. I thought that I would drop some weight after I went off of it but no. My cycle took like 2 months to get back to normal but for the past couple years it's been as normal as it can be. Nothing has really changed with that.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 258/229.2/160

Height: 5'6"

Hmm, well that's good.. when I'm not taking my meds properly my cycle pretty much stops. Everyone is different though.

I would be a little concerned if I were you. I mean, to have that kind of discipline and not lose anything.. your body must be trying to tell you something.
AmandaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #13  
Dresses and Heels.

S/C/G: 284/Ticker/140ish

Height: 5'7"

I'm going to go with everyone els here and say seeing a doctor sounds like the best thing you can do. I admire your willpower by the way. I need to work out WAY more.
SarahD140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

I can relate to you celigirl. I went from 125 to 154 in a month about 4 years ago and have been struggling to lose it. I can never seem to go down past 140 no matter how much I work out or how little I eat. I have finally decided to see an endocrinologist next week.
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 255/144 and maintaining

Height: 5'9

I agree about seeing a doctor. Your health, well being, and self esteem are worth the cost.

Another thing I just want to mention is that exercise is really only a small portion of the weight loss equation. People throw around different numbers, and it's all speculative, but lets say about 80% is what you put in your mouth, 20% is the calories you burn off. I know you said you kept a food journal and cut junk food out, but it really is easy to gain weight eating healthy foods. Trust me, that's how I got to 255 pounds. It's all about portions. I definitely don't want this to come out accusatory, and I apologize if you've already mentioned this, but how do you judge how much you are eating. Are you weighing/measuring at all? Eyeballing? It would be terrible if you were accidentally sabotaging your weight loss efforts because of portion underestimating.

Still though, gaining 40 pounds in the span of a month means eating an extra 4,666 calories/day above your maintenance level calories, so it seems there may be something else at play here.

Don't get discouraged. All of that working out has surely not been for nothing. You are definitely much stronger and healthier, and apparently more toned now.

I hope you do go to a doctor for some tests, and perhaps start tracking portions just to see where you are with calorie intake. Good luck!!
jkinboston89 is offline   Reply With Quote