Old 08-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #16  
In it for the long haul.

S/C/G: 275/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

I would spend the money on the test to be safe, because if you don't it could be costing you a lot more in the future. If it comes back as okay, I would not shrug my shoulders and say 'oh well'..because like most others have said, it sounds to me like your body has something out of whack..maybe other hormones, as someone mentioned. And also, personal trainers are not doctors. They will tell you the same thing about it because that's what they specialize in, fitness and losing weight, not personal health. I also commend you on your effort, job well done there for sure!
Phoenix301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

haha.. Coincidentally, I just saw this article on CNN on called "4 suprising reasons why women can't lose weight". I can't post the full link because I have less than 25 posts.

cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/08/11/reasons.cant.lose.weight/index.html?hpt=Sbin
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:38 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

Interesting article nina!

Do you think it's possible to repair your thyroid/metabolism after a really strct crash diet? I did an intense one for 5 weeks and then stopped it cold turkey and went back to my bad ways. It caused me to lose my period for 3 months. Obviously my body was/is out of wack from it but is it possible to get my thryoid/metabolism back to where it was before I did the crazy diet?
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/143 - HW: 240

Height: 5'8''

Now that I see my post, that didn't come out exactly how I meant for it too. I meant that I'd suggest you talk to your doctor about your lack of weight loss if your measurements hadn't changed but yeah I would go see one either way to have your thyroid tested, because as we'll all said, 40lbs in a month is crazy.
Laureedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 190/*ticker*/140

Height: 5'6"

Def. make an appointment ASAP. And let us know how it goes. I'm curious to see what he/she has to say.
caseygail21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 165/137/120

Height: 4'11''

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina125 View Post
I can relate to you celigirl. I went from 125 to 154 in a month about 4 years ago and have been struggling to lose it. I can never seem to go down past 140 no matter how much I work out or how little I eat. I have finally decided to see an endocrinologist next week.
Let me know how that goes and what they say! And good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinboston89 View Post
I agree about seeing a doctor. Your health, well being, and self esteem are worth the cost.

Another thing I just want to mention is that exercise is really only a small portion of the weight loss equation. People throw around different numbers, and it's all speculative, but lets say about 80% is what you put in your mouth, 20% is the calories you burn off. I know you said you kept a food journal and cut junk food out, but it really is easy to gain weight eating healthy foods. Trust me, that's how I got to 255 pounds. It's all about portions. I definitely don't want this to come out accusatory, and I apologize if you've already mentioned this, but how do you judge how much you are eating. Are you weighing/measuring at all? Eyeballing? It would be terrible if you were accidentally sabotaging your weight loss efforts because of portion underestimating.

Still though, gaining 40 pounds in the span of a month means eating an extra 4,666 calories/day above your maintenance level calories, so it seems there may be something else at play here.

Don't get discouraged. All of that working out has surely not been for nothing. You are definitely much stronger and healthier, and apparently more toned now.

I hope you do go to a doctor for some tests, and perhaps start tracking portions just to see where you are with calorie intake. Good luck!!
Ya, I wouldn't be eating 4,666 extra calories TRUST ME haha. I have a mini scale that I weighed all my food on and I looked up what portions were what and made sure everything was perfect. I measured everything out from cereal to milk. Like I was really adamant about making sure I didn't go over anything. I know it hasn't been for nothing, but it's discouraging when you try so hard and you don't know why you aren't losing weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseygail21 View Post
Def. make an appointment ASAP. And let us know how it goes. I'm curious to see what he/she has to say.
I will. I am looking up doctors for the next few days and calling around and I'll be making an appointment as soon as possible. Hopefully some good news come out of it and I can figure out what's wrong.

I also forgot to add that I am always exhausted. I can sleep for 12 hours and wake up and I'll be tired within a couple hours. I read the symptoms of thyroid issues and that was one of them but do you think besides that it could be anything else? Tired, weight gain, anything? I tried looking around at work yesterday on my phone but I can only do so much haha.
celigirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 190/*ticker*/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by celigirl88 View Post
I read the symptoms of thyroid issues and that was one of them but do you think besides that it could be anything else? Tired, weight gain, anything? I tried looking around at work yesterday on my phone but I can only do so much haha.
Those are symptoms of depression. Obviously you would have other symptoms along with those though. I don't think you would gain so much so fast with depression though, unless you were on a specific medication. Maybe this is just the Social Worker coming out in me lol.
caseygail21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

Celi,

All of that sounds like you have a damaged thyroid. I would def. get it checked out. Depression and fatigue are two of the signs of a damaged thyroid..
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #24  

Height: 5'4"

Definitely go to a doctor, like others have said. That is not normal, and there's very likely some sort of medical reason for it.

Good luck getting it figured out! I can sympathize with the frustration you're feeling.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #25  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

That was a good article Nina!

For me the issue was gluten, I cut that out in April. It was nice to see it mentioned in the article.

I shot up 20 pounds within a month, then shot up another 20 pounds within another month, then slowly climbed up ANOTHER 20 pounds in another period of time. I used to weigh under 130 pounds and I went to 194.

I had my thyroid tested and that wasn't the issue for me, but then a friend of mine was diagnosed as a Celiac and was cutting out gluten and doing much better. He had similar health issues as mine. Cutting gluten was the best help for me, as well as eating better and working out.

I hope you find your answer soon!
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 165/137/120

Height: 4'11''

Thanks guys. I should have an appointment soon, I just have to wait for my dads insurance to kick in since he just switched it. Hopefully it's soon because I really cannot continue living like this. It's killing me!! I'm still going to work out everyday and try not to give up so we'll see where it takes me.
celigirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:10 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

Celigirl,

Just wanted to check in. Did you manage to make it to a doctor?

I went to an endocrinologist and got diagnosed with an enlarged thyroid. He has ordered a whole battery of tests for me to measure my TSH levels before prescribing any medications.
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:28 AM   #28  

S/C/G: ticker

Height: 5'6.25''

What does your diet look like? Give us a day example... also... you are 21. How often do you drink alcohol?

I would go to the Doc regardless... I am sorry you are having such a hard time.
170starting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

Jumping in here and I have to agree, it really does sound like a thyroid issue, don't give up!
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #30  
The Last 10lbs!

My mom has a thyroid issue that she developed after my brother was born. I would definitely go visit your doctor as she has trouble losing weight as well.
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote