Old 04-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 294/289/170

Height: 5'4

Default Need some suggestions or advice please!

I have done this before but for some reason i just can't get my head in the game this time around! I have the wrong mindset i feel like if I don't do EXACTLY what i did before I'm not going to succeed so why even try?! I don't know what to do I really don't want to count calories that's how i lost some weight before but i got so wrapped up in the numbers then when i slipped i crashed and burned BAD. So this time I really want to make it a lifestyle change eat clean move more ect.. but.. in the back of my head i don't feel like I'm actually gonna lose anything unless i count! so I haven't even gotten anything started because i just don't know what to do or where to start! Any suggestions anyone been through anything similar? i just wish someone would say this is what you need to do now do it! lol why can't i be Oprah and pay people to help me! lol
kimberb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #2  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I know how you feel. It’s the “all or nothing mentality”.

However, little changes really add up. Cutting out sodas or sweets, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, parking a little further away from the store…it all adds up. And it’s a good idea to ease into it…start out making the smaller changes and gradually work your way up, that way it’s not so overwhelming at first.

It’s all in your head. It’s a myth that we have to starve ourselves and work out constantly to lose weight and I’ve learned that myself this time! Good luck and keep up the good work.
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #3  
vegetarian always :)

S/C/G: 168/150.5/135

Height: 5'6"

Kimber, I had the same sort of battle going on in my head in the last few weeks. I didn't want to count calories because it takes too much time- but I know when I try to just "eat well" or "avoid carbs" I go all over the place by the second day. One morning last week after a several day eating frenzy, I woke up and I realized I was driving myself insane by trying different rules every week- it's a terrbile way to live and I was just hating myself.

So I thought- well calorie counting is the most practical because I can't expect myself to give up my favorite foods- I am just miserable without them! I also can't expect myself to only eat when I'm hungry because I can always say I'm hungry! I need some rigidness and some flexiblity. I also worried about getting caught up in the numbers, but I quickly realized I eat the same things over and over so it's just a matter of adjusting the portion sizes. Without sparkpeople I don't think I would be able to count at all though!

Maybe just take one step- start counting! You can slowly transition to eat clean and work out- but cutting your calories will definitely start you off with results! I hope this helps!
dragonfly21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 294/289/170

Height: 5'4

thicknpretty~ that's exactly how i think the all or nothing mentality! I honestly don't know how to do anything different and I'm SCARED too! I'm so afraid of failure i won't even start! that's just pathetic! I know the only person I'm hurting is myself, it's a vicious cycle. dragonfly21~ I agree i keep running in circle with what "plan" i should do counting doesn't come easy for me though i truly get obsessed and I'm seriously wanting to change the way I eat for my girls and myself... I don't know.. maybe i should make some meal plans for a few weeks and workout? see how that goes if no good then start counting?! I hate feeling so confused and scared, I realize the only person I'm hurting is myself - other than the crappy example i set for my daughters! ugh.. little changes do add up maybe i should start with a few goals for a month and actually commit to them?!
kimberb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #5  
vegetarian always :)

S/C/G: 168/150.5/135

Height: 5'6"

Absolutely you should try setting some goals and see how that works! If you are committed to losing weight, you will find what works for you. I completely agree with ThicknPretty- I always assumed I would have to be constantly hungry and work out 2 hours a day to lose weight and I think I'm realizing that's (thank god) not true! I know you can do it!
dragonfly21 is offline   Reply With Quote