Old 09-24-2007, 12:45 PM   #1  
What are you waiting for?

S/C/G: 232/258/223

Height: 5'4

Default I need a little support or advice please.

Im so frustrated and don't know where to turn i was hoping i could get some suggestions here, I have been faithfully working out 30-45 minutes daily and keeping my calories under 1700 and mostly really good for you food, i know it's only been a week but i haven't felt any different and i have gained 3lbs! im so upset i don't know what im doing wrong i know i can't expect anything big in only a week but a 3lb gain com on! what am i doing wrong?! should i do some sort of a detox or something to jump start the weight loss? i though being as heavy as i am it would show on the scale a little sooner what can i do? it's so upsetting because my hubby has lost 4 lbs and i haven't i've gained and he eat's way more than me!! anyone?
rysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #2  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Hang in there, Kimberly!

First, try to resist the temptation of comparing yourself to DH. Men tend to lose faster and easier than women because they carry more muscle mass, so comparing yourself to DH will just drive you both nuts.

Second, I've read a lot of stories from women who gained a bit in the first week of starting a new exercise program. It could just be water weight. Don't worry about it! No one gets a free pass from the laws of thermodynamics, so if you're burning more calories than you consume, you'll lose weight. It may take a while, but you're in this for the long haul!

another Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:35 PM   #3  
mmm nutella

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 5 1/2"

I understand how you feel

After a hiatus from weight loss I jumped back on the wagon about a week and a half ago and the scale numbers have been jumping up and down, so I'm thrilled the next day and then feel defeated 3 days later when it went up again.

You are not a freak of nature. Your body cannot defy physics. If you stick with your plan, you will lose weight. Eat for the body you want, not the body you have and you'll get there.
hotnewspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:46 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

i second the water weight- especially if you have been doign weights at all. my trainer warned me (way back when) not to be surprised if i didnt see a loss the first week or even saw a gain when doing wieghts. they cause microscopic tears in your existing muscle and then the new muscle forms to fix those and you get bigger muscles but what can happen is that your body can retain water fluid as part of the healing process when its not used to it. keep it up - youre being healthy and good to your body and that will pay off in the long run!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #5  

Height: 5'9"

My first week I only lost a pound. I was in disbelief! In the past I always lost 3-5 pounds on my first week. What gives?

So, I held out hope that the second week would be different. I only lost another stinkin' pound!!

The third week I FINALLY lost 2.5 lbs.

There's no rhyme or reason. What really matters is that you're being good to your body. You're putting food in that are nutritious and will help you feel happy, energetic and strong instead of those trans-fat globby foods that weight you down. The weight will come off in time. Let's concentrate on all the good we're doing for our body and not the scale.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/*ticker*/140

Height: 5'6"

There could be so many reasons for your gain. Please, don't let it get you down. I know it is so easy to give up after something so dissapointing such as a 3 pound gain. Just keep up the good work, and the weight will come off. And I definitely agree with iamfire, get yourself a tape measure and take your measurements!
caseygail21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:57 PM   #7  
What are you waiting for?

S/C/G: 232/258/223

Height: 5'4

im going to start measuring thanks for the advice guys i have been doing weights 3 times a week so that's what's going on i hope i know im doing what's right for my body so i will keep it up eventually something has to happen!! Thanks everyone!
rysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:44 PM   #8  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

Please just remember the benefits of it all,
Healthy Bones, Stronger Heart, Longer Life!
The weight loss is just a bonus. I know it is the weight loss that motivates most of us though, but hang in there, because with stronger muscles.......
you WILL burn more calories in the long run, that's a fact. MUCH LUCK SISTER!
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:39 PM   #9  

rys- someone who is better at science should confirm this but im pretty sure its physically impossible to gain fat while you are keeping your cals eaten under cals burned (which is sounds like you are since they say base line is 1800-2000 depending on activity levels etc. so you must be gaining muscle or holding water or something like that!!

on the other hand a pound of fat is "worth" 3,500 cals. so for instance if you eat an extra 500 cals a day that you are not burning you will gain 1 lb of fat that week. on the flip side, to lose 1 lb of fat a week you need to have a deficit of 500 cals a day (to total a deficit of 3,500). obviously when its in person and not in a lab its not an exact science - but that is the general idea!

dont give up youre being super good to your body which has health and emotiional benefits irrespective of the scale #.

let us go how the measuring goes and all the inches you are losing!
Old 09-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #10  
BLACK TEAM

S/C/G: 225/219.5/140

Height: 5'5

readyfreddy, I am almost certain you are correct about your caloric intake/output assertions. (I am a Math & Science major and I am taking a nutrition class.)
misschris531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:59 PM   #11  

awesome!
Old 10-02-2007, 06:34 PM   #12  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Ok, first of all "detoxes" are unneccessary (DH channel dispelled that myth in the truth about food program).

Also, I am now going to impart my biggest and most helpful weight loss tip.....the one without which I would have never lost 144#s.............................

PERSEVERANCE. Keep with it, girl and you will eventually start shifting lbs and gaining muscle. Don't give up.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote