Old 02-24-2010, 10:52 PM   #1  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

Default Cruise, help!

I have a cruise coming up March 6th for a full 7 days. I am so worried I will eat too much and I know that if I let myself for a week on the cruise that it will take some time for me to get back on track when I'm back. Sooooo, I know there are good things I can eat and a gym but how do I stay away from overeating at the buffet? Or how do I make sure not to snack too much and stay away from the overly fattening foods?

I think I should be fine the days we are in a port since I'll be busy on the beaches etc. But the days at sea....
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:03 PM   #2  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

I went on a cruise in nov and I'm going on one again in sept. It can be hard if you are trying to stay on plan but you have one of two choice. A- control yourself or B- dont...

to be honest when I went I started off the first 3 days eating on plan and it was fine the buffets had lots of healthy options and even the formal dining halls for dinner had calorie counts and healthy choices on the menus. I told myself I could have what ever I wanted AFTER I ate a full plate of healthy choices first. meaning I had to have a salad, maybe some grilled chicken with veggies and a full glass of water... IF i was still still hungry I had what I wanted. trust me I was so full on good food there was no room left for the bad... the last 3 days of the cruise . I said FUNK it I'm on vacation and I'm going to eat what I want in moderation of course...lol and I did... the great part about a cruise and going off to port is there is soooo many activity's to do. swimming, dancing, mini golf (on carnival cruises at least) that the extra activity I was doin more then made up fro the extra calories I was taking in.

So I guess my point is only you know yourself. If you feel that you need to be strict while on vacation.. then set your mind frame to that and stick to it..

If you feel you can relax a little with your eating habits with out going overboard or with out feeling guilty about it then Hey I say your on vacation live it up an dont regret it!

either way have a blast! I LOVE cruising!
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 145/ticker/125

Height: 5' 2"

I've never been on a cruise, but I would use the same strategies you do everyday to keep from overeating: eat slowly so you register when you're full and ask for support from your companions so they don't wave pasta in cream-based sauces in your face. And don't freak out and think, "I have to eat all this now; I'm missing the chance to taste all this yummy food," because you'll always have opportunities to indulge, on or off a boat. You're not taking a vacation to eat; you're taking it to relax and have fun. If opting out of the cheesy rolls really bothers you, have some. Just don't go "overboard" (pun totally intended).
tkm256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #4  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

Thankyou! I did find their menu online so at least I know what to expect at the dinners. I do really need to stay on track. Thankyou for the helpful tips mariam! and Thankyou tkm, you are right I'm not on vacation to eat, I'm on vacation to have fun in different places!
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #5  
... fabulous!

I think the solution is to eat like your normally eat and for me, DO NOT go to the buffet. I've been on 12-15 cruises with some lasting as long as 3 weeks and the key for me is going to the dining room, NOT ordering sugary desert, and NOT ordering fatty appetizers/soups/salads. Get a healthy appetizer/soup/salad course(and just one), an appropriate dinner(ie don't order lobster, steak, AND penne just because you can--lots of people do this), and then get something like a fig and cheese plate for desert. I don't touch buffets--on cruises or in real life. I don't like wandering around with a plate picking up food and I don't like mixing varieties.

Also, avoid the champagne, wine, beer, and especially the mixed drinks. They're just wasted calories. If you want to enjoy one or two, fine. But don't order one with each meal.
ACivE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/185/120

Height: 5'3

I just got back from a cruise in January. I hadn't started dieting yet so I ate whatever I wanted whenever I wanted (bad idea). Needless to say, I gained 10 pounds! Leading to me starting a diet a month later. So be careful, it is very tempting. Lots of yummy food on cruises. Maybe if you work out each day it will keep you at the same weight until you get back. I should have done that.
HomeHealthRN29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #7  
Rockin Socks since 1984

S/C/G: 205/179/155

Height: 5'3.5

i haven't done a cruise since i was in 4th grade (the big red boat...i met bugs bunny hehe) BUT when i'm at a buffet, i do the one-plate and a salad rule. first i walk around to see what my options are so i can figure out what i really want to eat since it's only 1 plateful. also, i don't stack it up. it's whatever covers the top of the plate, laying flat. if it's buffet more than one meal, i limit myself to 1 salad plateful for lunch, and save the regular plates for dinner. hope it helps!
amyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

I wnt on a 7 day cruise in October. It was pretty hard for me. I was okay for the first day or so and then I was like dang even on vaca I have to be all strict. So I started eatin what I wanted ( bad idea). I gained 9 pounds. YEAH RIDICULOUS!. The next time I will just what I want once a day instead of every meal and only eat when I 'm hungry not cause I am passing the buffet.

Also I like amyleigh's idea. I will use that next time as well.
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #9  
Old Skool Breakbeat Junky

S/C/G: 208/181.2/150

Height: 5'6''

Amyleigh - that's GREAT advice!!!!! Thanks!

CakeBatter - WHAT UP GIRL?!
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote