Old 08-30-2009, 01:22 PM   #1  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Scale Problem... Opinions needed!

What do I do!? MAJOR scale discrepancy.

I just moved into my new place. I haven't weighed myself in days, and I've been on my TOM, so my weight was a bit wonky anyhow. But normally I'm bloated during my TOM, and I weighed in at 145.4 on the first day (when I last weighed myself), so I was really excited that during my TOM I was at my lowest weight. I was hoping to see a big "woosh" at the end of my period.

Over the course of my TOM I didn't weigh myself. I wasn't home, I was in Toronto, and all over the place... as were my calories. They zig-zagged like mad... I estimated them up and it was like... 1,800 one day, 1,000 the next (whoops)... so, maybe that helped kick my weight loss into gear...??

But what's MUCH more likely is that the floor in my new house is different somehow, because when I weighed in at 142.4 this morning, I was SHOCKED. I plateaued up around the 146 area for almost a month, and this number is just so incredibly unbelievable to me... so now I don't even want to drop my ticker down and trust this new weight... I feel like I'm lying to myself to think that I've lost that much all of a sudden....

What do I do? Trust my new floor? Add on a few lbs to every number I get off my scale on the new floor?

[Edit: Old floor was hardwood, new floor is bathroom tile... or... maybe linoleum...]

Last edited by Jelbb; 08-30-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:28 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 143.8/131.2/120

Height: 5'7''

Well this is a toughie! I also have found different floors may give different numbers. Trust the hardest floor, ie bathroom tile. Some floors, like wood or carpet, will have a buoancy (sp?) and can change the number. If you are really concerned, go to a store like Bed Bath and beyond that sell a lot of scales and weigh yourself on those scales to get an average reading. Give your new readings a week or two and then re-assess. You may just weigh less! congrats!
JessieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Upper 170s/*ticker*/130

Height: 5'5"

Do you also weigh yourself at the gym? Their scales are usually pretty accurate, as are those in the doctor's office.

Generally, though, scale discrepancy happens when you switch between scales; the change in floor would not make much of a difference. Plus, you are most likely to gain weight (or bloat) in the days prior to your period, and lose the majority of the added weight by the second or third day of your period.

Since you've been on a plateau, the change in pace and calorie cycling (in addition to the loss of your TOM bloat) most likely have just paid off! It's easy to second guess your weight loss after such a long plateau, but my guess is that you've finally broken through it. Great job!!
kasmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #4  
Master Water Retainer

S/C/G: 205/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Jelbb, you've been on a plateau for a long time, and I believe a lot of us in the 140s thread predicted that during/after TOM it would all come off of you. I think that's exactly what happened.

Trust the scale, change your ticker, and congrats!
RubyGuggenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Jelbb - all you can do it go by the weight your scale is reading... maybe your old floor was so uneven that it gave you a bad reading? Maybe you were lighter all along? Try your scale now in different spots in your house, if you get the same weight, then you can definitely trust it. It's also very possible you lost that weight, maybe the calorie fluctuations helped to get past your plateau?? Calorie cycling works really well for a lot of people. Congrats on seeing the new weight You definitely deserve it!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:44 PM   #6  
Actual hot librarian.

S/C/G: 189/150.0/149

Height: 5'7.5"

I say go with the lower one & congrats Your scale may have been stuck - sometimes moving mine a few inches resets it....

Oh, and the BB&B trick that Jessie mentioned is a good one. Just make sure you weigh yourself at home in the clothes you will wear in the store just before you leave the house!
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote