Old 07-19-2009, 11:45 AM   #16  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20nine View Post
I seen this on Ruby and its true. Where floral prints are BIG florals. Just because I like floral prints does not mean I want 1 big flower going across my boobs.

Just because I am fat does not mean I dont have shape. I try clothes on and because its a plus size there is 0 shaping to the outfit, there are shapely fat people. Ugh
I don't even shop at the plus size stores except for comfy pants and a different shirt now and then. I am opting for t-shirts & jeans until I reach "regular store" clothes. It is irritating that I have to wear shirts that are not tailored at all.. I feel like my grandma looking at those clothes sometimes. I read an article on why that is so with plus size clothing and it makes sense. Because the overweight population is highly diverse regarding size and it costs more to manufacture plus sized clothing, the companies can fit more people into a particular size if they make a garment with a loose fitting style. It still makes me mad, but I understand why... it's all about the bottom line and money.

Blech.. I hate plus size clothing. They could at least give some regard to flattering styles.
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 318/294/Healthy

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Size 12 is not considered fat. Think size 20 or 22 if you are thinking fat. I am at goal and weigh 118 . I don't wear size 12 anymore but I wear straight leg jeans because I 'm short and they give me the look of being taller.
As someone who is well above a size 20 or 22 that comment is really insulting. Just because your at 118 now doesnt give you the right to call anyone fat ever. OP was talking about herself, which I dont think a 12 is fat mor do I think OP is fat but I got her meaning she wasnt going to be held back b/c people thought she was too fat to wear things. Your post however just came across as rude and insulting to anyone in the sizes you mentioned or above. When will we stop belittling and insulting each other?
LookingForMeAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #18  
Eyes on the Prize

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForMeAgain View Post
As someone who is well above a size 20 or 22 that comment is really insulting. Just because your at 118 now doesnt give you the right to call anyone fat ever. OP was talking about herself, which I dont think a 12 is fat mor do I think OP is fat but I got her meaning she wasnt going to be held back b/c people thought she was too fat to wear things. Your post however just came across as rude and insulting to anyone in the sizes you mentioned or above. When will we stop belittling and insulting each other?
I am well above those sizes right now, too... but honestly, why does the word "fat" bother people so much? I'm FAT. Someone who is size 20 or 22 is likely FAT. FAT is not a bad word, just a descriptive one. It's the people around us and the feelings it invokes because of that who have made that word something that it is not. Seriously, let go of the hate.. it's just a word.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:10 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 318/294/Healthy

Height: 5'8

The word doesnt bother me its the fact she feels its okay to say anyone past size X is FAT. Its just rude to be so judgemental of people in a whole.
If you want to call your self Fat thats your right if your a size 2 or a size 22 or size 32 but why do we have to call other people fat?
Its an ugly word. I can think of a lot of "descriptive" words that you probably would not be okay with me calling you. Why did she have to put a number on it why not just say I dont think a size 12 is fat.
There was no need to call out everyone at or above a certain size and call them names.
LookingForMeAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #20  
Eyes on the Prize

Hey Looking: After re-reading my post there, I came across as a little blunt. Sorry about that. Sometimes I have to remember to choose my words wisely in forums on the 'net.. it doesn't always come across the way I intend.

I guess here, in this forum, I don't consider it an ugly word. There are so many positive people here that are working toward getting healthy, I guess I don't mind being called that here. It's what I am. However, there are people who use that word in an ugly way. I've been on the other end of the ugly use of the word at times, too. It just didn't seem to me that she was trying to use it in the ugly sense.

I apologize for any confusion! It is, indeed, an emotionally charged word.

BTW.. I wish I were where you are now! My first mini-goal is to be under the 300 mark. You are doing great - keep it up!
Old 07-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #21  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

It's the context of a word, not the word itself. For example, I call myself "short." Now, if someone were to describe me to their friend, I would not by offended by having them say "Oh she's the short one that works at x". However, if someone were to say, "Hey, shorty!" that would earn a few choice four letter words back!
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #22  
Persevere! You can!

S/C/G: 234/178/134

Height: 5'5"

This is something I think about regularly because I love clothes and fashion and really feel that it's unfair that I'm 'not allowed' to wear certain things just because of my size. It was my birthday last week and I spent two months trying to find a dress that was black, knee length, not tight and would look good with a cover up, because I'm not allowed to show anything over the knee or my arms.
georgiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #23  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I have skinny jeans and cannot bring myself to wear them anywhere. LOL! I think I look utterly ridiculous.

I think everyone should wear what makes them feel good inside--it it happens to be big polka dots, floral patterns, all pink, whatever! Variety is the spice!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:46 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 182/162/105

Height: 5'2"

I love that video. That girl is amazing!
LucySinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:06 AM   #25  
banned

S/C/G: 322/ticker/165

Height: 5*7

no one. NO ONE should wear skinny jeans. they are horrible on everyone.
princesspuffypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:02 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 220/194/150

Height: 5'7

I've never been one to follow fashion trends. I just wear what I what I like. I don't like skinny jeans because they make me look like an ice cream cone, but that's the way my body is and that's the way the jeans are.
When I would go shopping w/ a plus size friend, we'd find clothes I liked in the plus size dept that didn't fit me, and she'd find clothes she liked in the non plus size area. One has a longer dress, say calf or ankle lenght like I like and then on the other side it's the same dress but cut 'up to there'...

As for swimsuits, I've finally bought one after not wearing one or owning one for ten years. It's a comfort issue. I just don't have the confidence to wear it out in public, yet.

As someone said, it all depends on how it fits, not so much what it is. Whether I'm big or small, I'm still a pear.
Optical Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote