Heartburn........OMG - Page 2 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Old 11-21-2008, 10:24 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NishKitten View Post
Well so long as you get the all-clear from the doc, and it is a gastric thing...

Voodoo gramma' swears by two teaspoons of peppermint essential oil by mouth, then 8 oz's of cold milk before bed for heartburn and acid reflux.
That's really curious. Peppermint is always listed as worsening hearburn. It relaxes the sphincter between the stomach and esophagus.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:31 PM   #17  
I know I can do it.

S/C/G: 193/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Peppermint has always helped my heartburn, haha! When I was pregnant I always had candy canes with me to suck on, lol!

I hope you are ok, keep us posted!!
carcar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:37 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
That's really curious. Peppermint is always listed as worsening hearburn. It relaxes the sphincter between the stomach and esophagus.
Really? I know it's the main ingredient in pepto, and in the herbal alchemy world, mint is one of those proclaimed miracle cures for calming just about any stomach ailment. Mint tea after dinner, etc. DH's dad has come sort of gastric/colitis thing that he has to be on steroids for, for the rest of his life. I get mint tea (the kind they drink in arabic countries) from Moroccan Gramma' and forward it on to him. He drinks it religiously after meals now and was even able to get off of quite a few of his meds since the mint works better than his prescriptions.

I'll have to research it, since I usually just take Voodoo Gramma's word for it since she's been doing this professionally since the dawn of man and has quite a devoted following. She's got some youth serum we don't know about yet, or she's a vampire. Neither would surprise me.
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:41 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NishKitten View Post
I'll have to research it, since I usually just take Voodoo Gramma's word for it since she's been doing this professionally since the dawn of man and has quite a devoted following. She's got some youth serum we don't know about yet, or she's a vampire.
She's holding out on you
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:29 AM   #20  
Feelin' Sassafrassy

S/C/G: 317/271/165

Height: 6'0''

So I went to the doctor today, and he wants me to take a prevacid everyday for about 6 weeks. It allows my esophagus muscle time to heal and then just take it as needed since it follows more of my monthly cycle than anything else. He does want me to watch, because my diet is so "clean" ie not alot of greasy food, excessive quantities etc to catch a gallbladder problem early. Overall it was what I expected, and he said that maybe since I got a stomach flu about 10 days ago it may have upset the balance in my stomach leading to the heartburn.
Bee20nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:20 AM   #21  
I know I can do it.

S/C/G: 193/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Well thank heavens it wasn't something more serious, and that's great that he was able to give you some medicine to help calm it down!

Good luck!
carcar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:53 AM   #22  
New BodyBugger!

S/C/G: 317/ticker/175

Height: 5' 9"

Whew! Good News. Everyone got me all worried about a heart problem.

Take your medicine!
HeatherMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:55 AM   #23  
Workin' It

Good news! I'm glad it wasn't something more serious!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 12:33 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

oh yay. Not that I'm glad you're suffering with such bad heartburn and reflux, but I'm glad it's not more serious.

Thanks for updating us and I hope the meds work SOON!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote