Old 11-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Default If it isn't broken, don't fix it!

So basically, I tried to introduce more healthy foods into my diet. Meaning, I started buying hummas and pita bread for snacks. Low fat/calorie ranch dressing and veggies to dip in it. Salad stuff, etc. The basic idea being that there healthy snacks would be a great alternative to my 100 calorie snacks (a way to mix it up a bit).

The problem? Well, I'm the type of perosn who HATES to waste food. So I felt the need to finish whatever I bought before it went bad-even if I knew it would put me over my daily calories. I'd also get into the habit of eating more of something bc in my mind it was "healthy" so it wasn't as bad to eat it.

So basically, my master plan to be more healthy completely back-fired. haha. So I'm going back to the plan that helped me lose my initial 40lbs. I guess that old saying is true-if it isn't broken don't fix it.

Has anyone else had similar experiences, or is it just me who can't handle portion control?
rachiebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 294/see ticker/190

Height: 6ft 0.5 inches

i have portion pots but even then it's sometimes hard to manage. i think we're all bought up with the idea that you shouldn't waste food but you kknow it's not always bad. lots of things can be frozen if they need to be
anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 275/142/150

Height: 5'11"

I have issues with that kind of stuff too. A lot of times though i find myself using it as an excuse to eat. "I really should finish that milk since it may go bad in a few days, lets put it on half a box of cereal!". Now i just try to do what anastasia said, freeze things, or in the case of milk, bake some sort of healthy bread/muffin with it i can save for later.

oh and "if it isn't broken don't fix it" is probably my favorite saying. ever.
jessisaokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

I try to handle it by making different choices in the future to avoid the waste ... but not eating something now just because it will go to waste. The food can go to waste, or my very hard work can go to waste ... guess what I choose?
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #5  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
I try to handle it by making different choices in the future to avoid the waste ... but not eating something now just because it will go to waste. The food can go to waste, or my very hard work can go to waste ... guess what I choose?
That is SUCH A GOOD way of looking at it. I have this same problem but with restaurant food. I think if I am paying $$$ for it then it would be a waste to order diet food or worse food that is only somewhat more healthy for me. really just an excuse to go off track. Thanks for this though...
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #6  

Height: 5'6.5

Like I always tell my husband...why is it considered waste if you put it into the garbage? It's either going to go out in the garbage or get flushed down the toilet....would you rather have it sit inside you for a couple days or in the garbage bag??

Last edited by JamieJo; 11-18-2008 at 01:23 PM.
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:29 PM   #7  
Lazy runner deluxe

S/C/G: 168/142/142

Height: 169 cm / 5'7''

I don't really care about stuff going bad. I always tell myself "I'm a 1-person-household, and since I buy most of my food in larger portions it is only natural that something goes bad every once in a while!". I also often cook a double portion and freeze half of it for later. I have started doing this, because I noticed I often cooked 1.5-person portions and then ate it all. I can't cook for one person, apparently!
Elwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:40 PM   #8  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

psst, if you make the hummus yourself you can make little portions at a time It's really easy to make too (i know the post wasn't about this but just an fyi) ahah
I made some hummus for myself yesterday. I eat it with carrots. mmm

Last edited by Beautiful Ace; 11-18-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 192/ticker/135

It's good to know I'm not alone =). If I go out to eat, you bet I'm eating everything on that plate bc, I have the same mindset as you-if I'm paying for it, I'm going to eat it. It's one of the hardest habits to break I think...it's been ingrained in me to not waste food since I was born basically.

How does one make hummas? I've always heard that it's easy but I feel like you probably have to have the proper equipment...and be able to cook. I really can't cook and the most complicated piece of kitchen equipment I have is a blender....
rachiebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:09 PM   #10  
Lazy runner deluxe

S/C/G: 168/142/142

Height: 169 cm / 5'7''

Well a blender is all you need and you don't even have to cook it. Since Beautiful Ace came with the idea I'll leave it to her to post her recipe, but it's really quite easy!
Elwing is offline   Reply With Quote