Old 08-05-2008, 04:29 PM   #1  
i WANT this...bad

S/C/G: 225/ticker/140

Height: 5'3

Default OMG are you freaking kiddin me?

What the deuce?! Is anyone watching Dr. Phil? WOW All I can say. How can someone say that stuff to anyone let alone their SPOUSE?! How is it people seem to be so judgmental to their loved ones? I normally don't watch Dr. Phil, but I was surfing and this caught my eye.

I mean really you are 'motivating' them by calling them names and riding them about their food choices? If I had someone riding me that hard about my weight loss I wouldn't ever want to eat or talk to them about anything having to do with weight for fear of a negative response. I guess I really don't understand some people and how skewed their thinking can be..
SephyFowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 192/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Um, i'm not watching Dr. Phil right now (I'm at work), so I'm kinda wondering what you're talking about haha. But my sister dated a guy (actually had a kid with him) who just constantly put her down for her weight and what she ate. But he didn't do it bc he cared about her. He did it bc he's emotionally abusive and he wanted to make her feel badly about herself. Bc if she felt like nothing, she wouldn't leave him bc he was the best she could do. And know what? It worked. Bc she didn't diet (he would always tell her how stupid her diets were-and besides that what would HE eat if she dieted?) and she gained like over 60 lbs in 2 years bc she was so unhappy.

I sincerely hope Dr. Phil is kicking some butt as far as the emotional abusers are concerned...he is right?
rachiebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #3  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

It's just now on here.

My best friends mom is in this exact situation, but she's a very conservative, very religious woman and she does not believe in divorce - so she's stuck with the jerk, and my heart breaks for her.

I'd hit that guy with a plank of wood if I had the chance.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #4  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Yes! My father was like this to my mother, he gave sly digs about her weight and food choices, and strangely still is like this toward me. My mother escaped him via divorce but lucky old me didnt escape quite so easily ...and, haha he succeeded somehow because I am now an emotional eater?
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:44 AM   #5  
Are we there yet????

S/C/G: 227/*ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

I decided to switch to Jeopardy when I got the chance. I was getting too angry.
leighish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:35 AM   #6  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

wow i look forward to watching this episode in about a year when it finally gets here im glad i dont know anyone who would seriously put me down lke that. I mean, everyone gets the odd stab about their weight when they are over weight, but i couldnt stick with someone like that
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:52 AM   #7  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

a lad i used to work with was like this....
its what motivated me to loose so much weight....
best bit is his gf is fatter than me nowadays!....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:23 AM   #8  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

My Grandpa and Uncles used to make fun of me when I was a child. It was devestating to me. But they were also the ones raving on and on about me when I got older and lost some weight. I think its true, we are hardest on those we love, not sayin it makes any of it right, but I just say it is true.
My biological father also made comments on my weight during my whole life. Infact when I was a child, he gave me a weightloss tape called, "Chicken Fat" which totally mortified me. Later on, he told me I was lazy and fat. I got so upset from that, I stayed at my cousins house that night. He appologized, but the damage had already been done.............

Amazing what motivates you to do things.......A co-worker of mine made a comment about me eating fast food one time, since then, I haven't ate at a fast food joint. I guess I should thank him for that one. lol.
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:26 AM   #9  
Nordic Loser

S/C/G: 290/t/220

Height: 5' 6"

My dad was an athletic guy when he was younger and he thought it was a shame to have kids who weren't. He tried to force us to exercise by bullying but it only ended in tears. Mine, of course. So I found some comfort in binge eating which got things even worse. So he just kept on bullying instead of finding out what we were really interested in or even playing with us. Because he liked to run, he thought everyone should run, period. I was an unhappy child/teenager because I never had support about anything. The ultimate low point was when we were on a holiday and dad saw me in a swimsuit (I wasn't that fat then) - he humiliated me so badly that I stopped swimming altogether. A sport I actually liked. He knows what he did, but has never apologised. I haven't had a swimsuit for 16 years.
Now he's fat himself and can't comment on anyone, but it doesn't make me feel any better. It still hurts me that dad could be so cruel to his own daughter.
Lady Pantsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:38 AM   #10  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

unfortunately everyone has the capacity to be cruel, as much as we would love our parents to be the exception
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:09 PM   #11  
Wanting 2 b Smokin Hot!

S/C/G: 396/350/199

Height: 5'2''

i did watch the show, and my dad is totally like that with me everyday nonstop and i dont even eat dinner with them anymore i eat afterwards. it makes me want to prove him wrong but then i get emotional n just eat but im trying so hard to lose it again
CurvaceousCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:48 PM   #12  
i WANT this...bad

Wow I can't believe that some people do that still. I'm sorry that you chicks had/have to go through that. I guess it only makes you stronger. I guess all you can to is take a positive out of it.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:01 AM   #13  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I didn't see that show (I'm on vacation and if I were home this afternoon, I probably would have watched it though lol), but I think it's pretty amazing how people feel totally free to say whatever hurtful thing they want about someone or to someone ab their weight and the overweight person is expected to quietly "eat" all those comments and remarks bc hey, they're fat, they have no feelings (or rather, they have feelings but those feelings don't matter bc the person is fat). Thats how I look at it.

The sad thing is how many overweight people in those kinds of situations DON'T fight back and DON'T defend themselves bc they're ashamed and maybe even think what's being said about them is TRUE or that they deserve to be treated badly. Fat people are expected to be meek and apologetic about their weight and that's why these kinds of "motivators" feel free to say whatever pops into their minds.

Last edited by KLK; 08-07-2008 at 12:02 AM.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:13 AM   #14  
Wanting 2 b Smokin Hot!

S/C/G: 396/350/199

Height: 5'2''

i think u are so true klk
CurvaceousCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:24 AM   #15  
i WANT this...bad

Wow great insight KLK. I do believe that is true. I can remember my Dad saying somethings like, "Look at what you are doing to yourself, you are eating yourself to death", or "You know you need your ankles taped because the weight on them while you are tumbling and pounding on them is too much for them to handle". That was all when I was like 160 and wearing a size 12/14. As a teenager I hated it, thought he was the worst man alive for commenting on my weight. lol Now I see that those comments were meant to help me and shock me into reality. I would never ever allow anyone to talk to me about my weight using name calling and abuse..