Old 07-19-2008, 07:04 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 225/158/135

Height: 5'5

A friend of mine has a very artistic husband who did a little experiment in order to boost her self esteem. When someone takes your picture the shutter clicks once and that's it ... When a model gets her picture taken they take as many as they can and pick the perfect one.
So she got "dolled up" and he took about 50 pictures. She sent me a few of her favorites and she did look as gorgeous as she does IRL.
I'm thinking about having a friend who's good with a camera do the same for me as I don't have ANY updated pics of myself. I hate them all!
ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:40 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginny View Post
A friend of mine has a very artistic husband who did a little experiment in order to boost her self esteem. When someone takes your picture the shutter clicks once and that's it ... When a model gets her picture taken they take as many as they can and pick the perfect one.
Very good point.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:55 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I got bored and found these random picture taking tips--I'm just copying and pasting, so they might not look to pretty, lol!

Step1
Women may choose to wear a little more makeup than usual in photographs, since makeup looks a lot more muted in pictures. Filling in your eyebrows and using mascara on curled eyelashes will make a bigger difference than you'd think.
Step2
Dress in classic clothing so that your pictures don't date themselves too quickly. Wearing anything too trendy often means years of cringing in the future.
Step3
Sit up straight! Good posture will make you look thinner and more awake.
Step4
Right before the photo is taken, breathe in and smile as you breathe out. This will allow your face to relax, and will make your smile look more natural.
Step5
Look right above the camera instead of directly into the lens. Jackie O. was rumored to use this trick to always look wide awake and wide-eyed.
p4
STRIKE A POSE. Shrug your shoulders and roll them down and back for good posture. You’ll appear taller. Want to look thinner? While your head faces the camera, turn your body slightly to the left or the right to stand on an angle (you can place one foot behind the other if that helps). Check out any celebrity magazine, and you’ll notice a number of starlets turn their bodies about a quarter away from the camera to appear slimmer.
Step5
SMILE! A warm, happy smile doesn’t have to look forced. Instead of smiling with your mouth, try smiling through your cheeks and your eyes. Concentrate on tugging the muscles at the top of your cheeks (the “apples”) into a grin instead of the corners of your mouth. Your mouth will naturally fall into a relaxed grin, not a grimace. Also, think of a warm, happy thought (or the words “think warm and happy thoughts”). You’ll put your mind in the moment and project warmth from your eyes for the camera. Trust me, it works!
Another site said:
Secret No. 1: Turn partially sideways to the camera, planting one foot in front of the other. Point your toe to the camera and place your weight on your back foot.

Secret No. 2: Pull head forward slightly to minimize any appearance of a double chin.

Secret No. 3: Hold arms slightly away from your body. This keeps upper arm flab from flattening out and therefore appearing flabbier (much like thighs do when one sits on a couch).

Secret No. 4: Pull shoulders back, chest forward and gently suck stomach in. Be careful not to suck stomach so far in that your ribs show, thereby causing those who later see the photo to cluck to themselves in a bemused, sing-song voice, "She's sucking i-in."

Hope these help!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:21 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

It is so funny you mentioned that I've been interviewed for the news in serveral different cities this summer because of my intership and sometimes I'll feel great about how I look that day but then I will see the news clip parts of it I will think I love this angle and then others I will think "my god I can't believe I acatually look like that".

I have similar opinions with phots, some I love some I hate, I find if I tilt my chin up and turn my head to one side so you get a slight profile then my photos turn out better.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #20  

I have that exact same problem. I know at 5'1 and 257 lbs. I'm nowhere near small. But when I look at myself in the mirror, I don't see myself as that big, either. At least not as big as when I see a picture of myself. I'm not a very photogenic person, either. I used to weigh 110 lbs (back when I was 16) and even then looked crappy in pictures.

Videos on the other hand are different. They show me as exactly as I look when I look at myself in the mirror. I wonder why that is, though. It's like pictures always capture my most unflattering angle.

Still, I think psychologically it's better than getting really skinny and then still not liking what you see in the mirror, isn't it?
AmberShimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:05 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 206/187/145

Height: 5'9"

I Know Exactly How You Feel Im The Same Way... I Hate It...
Mdavila89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 193/192/155

I feel the same way. On vacation last week, I thought I looked pretty cute most of the time, and then I saw the pictures, YUCK! So I just stopped letting my mom take my picture because it just kills my self-esteem. Photos SUCK!
lilukay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:22 PM   #23  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

Cameras tend to add weight due to the lens. That's why they photoshop models in magazines, ever notice that they look skinner in magazines than in candid shots? It could also be that you're just not that photogenic, like me. I never really like how I look in pictures. And it's ok because I'd rather look awesome in person than in a photo.
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowergirl68 View Post
Cameras tend to add weight due to the lens. That's why they photoshop models in magazines, ever notice that they look skinner in magazines than in candid shots? It could also be that you're just not that photogenic, like me. I never really like how I look in pictures. And it's ok because I'd rather look awesome in person than in a photo.
Sometimes I think they look worse in the candid shots. Somehow, with all the styling & glamour in a magazine shoot, sometimes you don't notice how skinny skinny skinny they are. Then I see a candid shot, and they look just sickly. You know, like they're starving to death. It's a different look from women who are naturally very slight of build.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 08-03-2008 at 03:18 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote