Old 12-01-2007, 11:10 PM   #1  
MONI

S/C/G: 257/257/160

Height: 5'4''

Default Studying + Snacking = Big Problem.eek!

Im sure there are plenty of you that can relate to this problem either right now or in the past!! Im sitting here writing my papers and what not and I have the urge to cruz the kitchen! Im not even hungry, im acutally still full from lunch....but I tend to snack when i study. I know I should have like fruit, veggies or something like that instead...but i really want a brownie, chocolate or cookies. I dont really have much in my house, except fruit...but i've been temepted to make a store run! What do you do when you are studying and want to snack? I think just writing about it helps me a bit! EEKK, ok back to my paper! Thanks!
Moni28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Yes when I study I have an urge to continously eat. Its just a fact. I have a goal of having a binge free final . . . that means I'm keeping ALL junk food out of my apartment and as little money around as possible (the store down stairs doesn't take credit card unless it's over $15 so that would be a big binge). I try to stock up on healthy food like fruits (for sweets), veggies for crunchy craving, and sugar free mint candies to suck on because distracts me from eating. Also I find drinking hot tea or diet coco helps because you feel warm and full.

Good luck on your exam!
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:39 AM   #3  
Happy Holidays!

S/C/G: 174/154/135

Height: 5' 2 1/4"

I don't know if I would be much help in this area because I am really bad when it comes to snacking and studying.....but I try and chew gum because it keeps my mouth busy and if I have a minty taste in my mouth other foods don't seem like they would taste as good! Also the hot tea thing works great for me too. The warmness and taste distract me from other foods.

Also if at all possible study at the library, or some other building around other people so that you wont be as comfortable and less likely to eat in front of everyone.
short1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:31 AM   #4  
MONI

Thanks ladies! I ended up getting a bit hungry and made an egg and had a pear. Im now less tempted to snack. The hot tea thing does work for me as well and im about to make some! The gum thing is a great idea, thanks! I guess keeping junk out of the house is the best bet..but thats hard when you have a roommate who doesn't really "need" to watch what she eats. Not an excuse, just a challenge. Thanks, i'll keep all these great tips in mind as finals week approaches!!
Old 12-02-2007, 08:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

You would be suprised how willing roommate can be to help. My roommate knows that I have ... um ... food issues and there are some things I really don't want in the house so she tries not to bring them into the apartment, she either eats them at her boyfriends or she will bring them in single servings into the apartment. Or she puts them in her cabinet that I don't go into. Sometimes talking helps (I realize I have a great roommate but just a suggestion. My food insecurities almost kept me from moving into the apartment I live in now because I didn't know if I could handle losing weight and having a roommate).
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

The one thing that I find keeps me from wandering the cupboards is keeping a botle of water full, with some ice and lemon or lime in it. It settles the "hand-to-mouth" compulsion without the junk. Just make sure to use a big one so you're not going into the kitchen constantly!
practiceliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:17 PM   #7  
Amber

S/C/G: 137/ticker/110

Height: 5'6''

I'm sorry this is off-topic :-/ but I tried to message RememberHowToSmile and wasn't allowed to since my post-count isn't 16 yet...

I was wondering where you got your avatar. I've seen other members with images like this. Is there a place on the web where you got/made it?

Thanks

Amber
nimbus3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Funny, I'm working on a paper and I came here to avoid grazing in the kitchen

I just ate an entire bowl of sugar free jello, for 40 calories. Yum. (too bad i'm freezing now).

Anyway, I have nothing to add really... just htat I feel your pain. The end of the semester is terrible.. but I keep telling myself I don't need the stress of gaining weight on top of everything else.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:36 PM   #9  
MONI

Thanks again ladies! Yes my roommate knows my food issues and she's actually really great about being supportive. We have an interesting set up, she and I share buying food and just about everything food/cooking wise. Its more like a team than roommates. All of our things are mixed in and if she or I buy something we can eat eachothers food. It's acutally very nice. We've been shopping at trader joe's and its lovely! They have some great yummy snack and foods that wont make you feel super guilty! I was trapped in the library today and I took some pita chips and an orange. I also took some tea and that helped alot! I think snacking is also a way to procrastinate, which im a pro at!
Old 12-02-2007, 11:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 161/161/135

Height: 5'6"

Yeah, I totally have this problem, especially when I’m stressed about a test OR trying to avoid studying (cause we gotta eat, right? Oh, maybe that’s the attitude that got me here in the first place!). One thing that helps me while studying is drinking hot tea, or low cal hot chocolate, or I have tomato soup from Trader Joes. Liquids are good, or sliced veggies and fruit, sounds lame, I know. Oh, yeah, and there’s this great low-fat popcorn that’s only about 100 calories for a whole bag, that will fill you up and give you a long time worth of snacking! Hope this helps!
summersunshine is offline   Reply With Quote