Old 05-30-2007, 06:51 AM   #1  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

Default runners are back

Hey all - looking out for you! The weather is finally getting better elsewhere (since I'm in LA I root for the gloomy days ) I think you all need to come out and play - cause I'm getting lonely and not posting and eating too much - so it's time we all hit the track again! right??

today I did 3.3 - a new route through my neighborhood. LA is a funny place - I live in a nice place for my price range (not a lot) but like I go 3 little blocks up all the duplexes turn to houses then another 3 blocks north, the houses turn to HUGE houses, mansions, oh lets see what zilliow says (the house I want is valued at only 9.5 million - it did go down half a million within the last 30 days - NO problem, soon it will be affordable - its only up in value from the other places by about 6 million sure I'll be rich enough one day

ok - more running less eating, butt that I see may be developing develope more! whoo hoo

talk soon!
B
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:17 AM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Hey Bida!

I love running through the neighborhoods of wishful thinking (although it will be someday!)

Since being in a warm climate and at sea level (almost) in Nashville, I have run almost everyday in the month I've been here. I have found my "route" (the nieghborhoods here are so pretty!)- I have no idea what the distance is, but I've been able to extend my average running time from 30 minutes to 42 minutes. Oh, and a friend of mine here is a former cross-country runner and has me doing sprint intervals... but not very often

Thanks for bringing us back to life, Bida!
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/145

Height: 5'7"

Bida, my sister is in the same kind of neighborhood in LA (Los Feliz). Today I went out running after being lazy all weekend. It felt great, to be out under those California Clouds and I did about 2.3 miles. I need to really get my training going as my goal is to run a Fourth of July 5K.
Romeos Girly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:35 PM   #4  
Bida Bida Bida

you can do it! you are so close to it now - its just a little further!

today I will not be running - doing weights...but tomorrow - who is with me!
Old 05-30-2007, 07:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/148/125

Height: 5'3"

I've been running! I have been doing the same 2.5 mile loop near my house... I have this little extra bit I sometimes do to make it 3 miles - but lately I have been stopping after 2.5. Same on the treadmill... as soon as I see 2.5 miles I get tired and stop. I need to get over this hump!
My goal for this weekend is to go running at least once - I'll be at my parents house so maybe I will take the dog.
And my goal for next week is to run 3 miles.

Keep running everyone! This weather is great!
silver plum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

It's finally become to cold down here to run in the mornings and its pitch black by the time I get home so I am now running at the gym on the treadmill in the mornings before work.

I have a problem with getting bored on treadmills because there is no scenary to look at it but I does give me a chance to improve my running posture.

I ran 40 minutes this morning for 8kms at 12kms/ph (roughly 5 miles at 7.5mph).
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:05 AM   #7  
Bida Bida Bida

I used to run on the treadmill when I lived in NYC - wasn't horrible when you had great pumping music and something amusing playing on the tv (as long as it was subtitled) - but yeah - very hard to do!

Good job this morning on the treadmill - means you can do more interval training too - which sometimes makes it go faster (after 4 cycles you could be like done, just one more cycle interval!)

B
Old 05-31-2007, 11:57 AM   #8  

I wish I had some fellow board members to go running with, but I live in a very obscure region and I doubt there's anyone on this board who lives in the vicinity. It's always more motivating when you have someone to keep pace with.

Keep up your good work.
mikex1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 141

Height: 5 5

This is a weird questions but here it goes,...

I started running about a month ago and I have completely shocked myself in that month! I started by running 3 miles (I was actually suprised I could even run 1 mile) and just recently completed my first 5 mile run. I am running about every other day (4 miles) and lifting weight on my off days. So even though I feel like I am working out a lot I am not loosing ANY weight! Has this happened to any of you runners when you first started? Its really frustrating!
Briza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:37 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briza View Post
This is a weird questions but here it goes,...

I started running about a month ago and I have completely shocked myself in that month! I started by running 3 miles (I was actually suprised I could even run 1 mile) and just recently completed my first 5 mile run. I am running about every other day (4 miles) and lifting weight on my off days. So even though I feel like I am working out a lot I am not loosing ANY weight! Has this happened to any of you runners when you first started? Its really frustrating!
Hm.. for some people they have to find a niche to jumpstart their metabolism. Is it possible that your runs are not fast-paced enough?
mikex1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:57 PM   #11  

Well I am running and 11 1/2 - 12 minute mile. Which I know isnt very fast but by the end of my run I am dying. What is better-to run faster and shorter distance or slower and longer distance?
Old 05-31-2007, 04:47 PM   #12  
I ve cK MZk

S/C/G: 262/198/160

Since I have stopped smoking I thought I'd hop on the treadmill at home and see how I did. I ran a mile in 12 minutes & 40 seconds on the treadmill and didn't really get "out" of breath until the end. lol. Huge improvement than before. I shed off 4 minutes.
muzikjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:04 PM   #13  
Bida Bida Bida

Briiza - 1st) congrats on starting the regimen - its great for you! even if you haven't lost weight, have you noticed other changes in your body? muscles that weren't there before, stomache a little smaller, calves a little more muscley?

2nd) the age old question - have you started eating more since you have been running/working out more? (do you notice if you are...) - becaue you are prob a bit more hungry....(i know that is why I never lose weight! because someone (points to self) can not stick to eating very few calories)

3rd) try some interval training at least once a week. If you want to know some, find our old runners thread and look through some of my posts, cause I posted some there - but basically it means get your heart pumping a LOT for a few minutes, then recover (either jog or walk) then do it again, maybe half way fast, recover, FAST (or better yet, up a HILL). (try taking a spinning class)

muzik - congrats on quitting smoking!!! and running!!!
Old 05-31-2007, 05:12 PM   #14  
I ve cK MZk

S/C/G: 262/198/160

Well, I am only on day 12, and still have the cravings, but I like how I feel when I don't smoke, so I am going to keep it up. lol. Thanks!
muzikjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:42 PM   #15  

Thanks for your reply. Yes I am noticing my body changing. I guess I should be happy with that-it just stinks to work really hard and not see the scale drop. And also I feel a lot happier after running too. I am always really proud of myself whenever I finish a run. I guess I should look more at the positives rather then the negatives.

I am not really eating more. I am doing weight watchers so I am staying in my points range no matter what. And when I run I get extra exercise points and sometimes I use them, sometimes I dont.

Thanks for the idea of intervals. Funny you mention that because I used to do them before I thought I could run. Maybe I will try to incorporate that into my exercise schedule at least one day a week.

I know I need to keep with it! It would just be really rewarding if I saw the scale drop!!