Old 10-21-2006, 10:01 PM   #16  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

So many times in the past I'd think "I'll start a diet as my new years resolution". It never happened. This time, I new ahead of time that the new physician that I was going to would definitely want me to lose weight.(Another nurse I worked with had the same liver disease that I have and was seeing him). I ate everything in sight for weeks before that appointment. Gained about 5 more lbs. as a side effect. Even on the way to see him (4hr. drive) that morning, I ate horrible junk food along the way. He was so adamant about my poor health and how much of it was attributed to my obesity, that I started to eat right the very next meal. Same day, didn't put it off and have never stopped. Sure, I have made mistakes along the way, but I never give up. So, yes my "last supper" lasted for weeks.
Meg, I love those analogies and never thought of this way, but it is 100% true.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 12:00 AM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
I've heard a few good analogies to keep in mind for situations when we slip :
  • If you get a flat tire, do you change it and continue on your trip? Or do you get out a knife and slash the other three tires too?
  • If you slip on the sidewalk, do you pick yourself up and keep going? Or do you turn around, go back home, and start the trip all over again?
  • If you spill a glass of milk, do you clean it up? Or do you pour the rest of the gallon on the table too?

It seems kind of funny when we look at it that way ...
I love those analgies! I do pour out the whole gallon (figuritively speaking), and how stupid is that?! Sheeesh, when you put it that way... I'm going to write these down and keep them handy.
LivingWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:29 AM   #18  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
This next month in particular I want to buckle down because I have less than a month until my wedding. After the wedding, I plan to maybe relax myself a little but not too much. I don't want to gain weight, I want to just not have to worry about being photographed and looking good in a strapless gown.
Wow Nelie! I can't believe your wedding is so close!!

I think we are all "goal oriented" to a degree--whether it be losing the weight so we look great in a wedding gown or for a reunion, or to see our cholesterol points go down or whatever....I guess we just figure out what is the most important to us at the time...
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:36 AM   #19  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingWater View Post
I love those analgies! I do pour out the whole gallon (figuritively speaking), and how stupid is that?! Sheeesh, when you put it that way... I'm going to write these down and keep them handy.
I heard one here a long time ago (sorry I can't remember who said it!)

"Just because one egg breaks doesnt mean you should break the other eleven!!"
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:59 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Meg & Jen - those analogies are sooo fantastic.

My faulty think is something I have been trying to fix & think I am starting to get there. This morning I forgot my socks & my journal (where I write all my food & exercise) when I went to the gym, plus I have a big blood blister on the bottom of my foot & you know what? I didn't even contemplate not going. Before I would have seen all that as a sign that it was ok for me not to go.
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:27 PM   #21  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I am a HUGE black & white person. If I had an OP breakfast and then an non-OP lunch, I wouldn't have a light dinner, I'd use that as an excuse to eat the rest of the day and start-over tomorrow.

Those analogies are so great. I guess it would help if I quit seeing a whole day as successful and starting seeing each time I ate as being successful. More like "how'd you do at lunch?" not "how'd you do today?". It would really help to break it down further.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:39 PM   #22  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

What great tips to read first thing in the morning before work! I have not been here in a week or two because work blew up in my face and I have been putting in 12 hour days. Yesterday was the first day of coasting (so to speak) and I was finally feeling like I had it all together again.

I do want to say I saw my friend Karen who has never been bothered by her weight and is about a size 18/20. When I saw her she had lost weight. I said "What have you done?" She said "Doll you see me at the gym." I said "How much have you lost?" She said "I don't know and don't check."

It hit a nerve because of the way she was just happy with herself as usual and nothing was this end all thing. She has no obsession about her weight. She just moves along and does what she needs to do. Awesome to me because of the way I obsess and have obsessed in the past. I have finally gotten off the scale everyday and weigh in only once a week. I need to shake the "I'm a Failure" attitude.

Meg- once again your posts inspire.

I want to post these in my classroom because they mean a lot in many ways....not just weight loss.

"I've heard a few good analogies to keep in mind for situations when we slip :

If you get a flat tire, do you change it and continue on your trip? Or do you get out a knife and slash the other three tires too?
If you slip on the sidewalk, do you pick yourself up and keep going? Or do you turn around, go back home, and start the trip all over again?
If you spill a glass of milk, do you clean it up? Or do you pour the rest of the gallon on the table too?"
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 09:34 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

Default You're not the only one...

This was my mindset before I started my plan. Right now I'm just doing what feels right. Once I get on plan again I hope that I can let go of that way of thinking once again.
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:05 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 285.4/285.4/150

I used to do that all the time.If you notice on my "Member Since date" it is 2001 When I came to this site then I weighed 258 pounds and when I got on the scale at the beginning of Oct this year I weighed 257.8 and I realized I just waisted 5 years of my life always worrying about when the next diet would start and it just kind of woke me up. I quit coming to the site last time when I gave up and what I should have done was to come back more. So, so far this time I have not had any "Last Ones" the only last I want to see is the Last time I every see my weight start with the number 2.
Val424 is offline   Reply With Quote