Old 08-18-2005, 06:27 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 210/210/175

My dad's side of the family was always pretty prestigious in our city because they had lots of money. My grandmother was always on my case when I was growing up because I was "chubby", telling me that she and her sister used to do sit-ups and push-ups first thing every morning back when they were teenagers (around the time right before WWII). To top that off, my dad's cousin Christy was Miss Louisiana in the 1991 Miss America pageant, and she was all in the Louisiana newspapers talking about how strict her diet/exercise regimen was for her to get to pageant status. All my grandmother kept telling me was, "You know, Christy used to look like you when she was younger, but ever since she got into this pageant thing, she looks absolutely gorgeous now. Maybe you should talk to her and see what it is that she did." *go figure* I'm now a recovering anorexic/bulimic.
LesnarsTXF5Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:46 PM   #17  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

It's terrible what people do to their kids and grandkids, sometimes without meaning it. People get so wrapped up in their own insecurities and shortcomings, then turn it outward to those closest to them (at least those proximate if not emotionally close).
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:33 PM   #18  
Howie6267's Honey

Well, I'm reading it. The author's right when she says she doesn't greet you at the door with hugs and kisses. This book is brutal. I really have mixed feelings. She comes across very embittered and disgusted with herself (more than is normal or healthy, I would say) and she is not someone I'd want to spend time with, given the way she talks about herself. I doubt she's as negative in real life with close friends -- at least I'd hope she's not -- or she would drive everyone away from her. But a lot of us do just that at times in our lives.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:11 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 260/209/150

Height: 5'6"

Wow, I really want to read that book!
Jessie_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:47 PM   #20  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

I read the book yesterday. It was tough in parts, largely because, as Kimberley says, the author is so negative. To say the woman has issues is the understatement of the century. The disgust with which she views fat people (not only herself) is evident throughout the book, so if you don't think you can handle that, my advice would be to steer clear. It was sad to read how her mother's and grammy's behaviour affected her, but I found it difficult to find anything much endearing about the Judith Moore who recounts her story.
I wonder how she would've turned out had she received love and acceptance instead of rejection and beatings.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:51 PM   #21  
Howie6267's Honey

Normally, when I start reading a book, I read it nearly non-stop until done. I hesitate to use the term "devour", considering this title, but that's what I mean. This one, however, I keep putting off.

Ms. Moore's voice is just soooo negative, it's really dragging me down...Kind of like people whose dialogue is a grim dirge, the types who suck the life right out of you. It's like one of those acquaintances, multiplied a thousandfold...A whole tortuous book of it.

Yeah, I have mixed feelings. Worst thing is, I'm only a chapter or two into it and I know it doesn't get any better.