Old 01-11-2005, 02:43 PM   #16  
Learning to love ME!

Mez, I can't speak for all power yoga practices, but my tape uses traditional yoga poses (plank, chaturanga, upward dog, downward dog, warrior I & II, awkward chair, crescent, triangle, right angle) but flows them together. You don't rest in between, but hold the poses, which generates heat in the body, then flow right into the next pose.

Tammy, what you write about weight training and bulking up makes perfect sense. Do you do any pilates? It builds muscle in such a way that you get the additional metabolism benefits, but you don't bulk up. Just a thought.
Gypsydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:11 PM   #17  

I've never tried pilates but that does sound like a nice alternative. Thanks for suggesting that.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:16 PM   #18  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

Even though I could sneak on at work to update the weight totals for Lose A Ton thread towards the end of the 2004, I wasn't able to spend time on all the other threads (stupid company policies! I don't know why they think I should actually work instead of playing on the net!!! ) But now that I've finally fixed my home computer so that I can get back on this website I have to say that it's threads like this that helped keep me motived!

That said, I think everyone here is doing a wonderful job.

KK - I'm sure you already know this, but you are so lucky to have someone like your son who is willing to show his support by walking you through the use of the the equipment. I don't have any children myself, but I do have a nephew that would laugh in my face if I asked him to do that! (O.K. - he's not that bad! I'm sure he would do it if nobody else was around that could see him. )

Tammy - You're still my number 1 hero, wheither you're building up those muscles or losing pounds. Do what you feel you need to do to get your mind in the right place.

I've done 20 minutes of Pilates and now I'm off to do my one hour ride on the stationary bike.

Melissa
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:15 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Tammy, no, I don't think you're being silly. You have valid concerns. How much were you training exactly? I remember maybe 6 years ago when I got down to 160, it was definitely the weight training that did it. I did a full circuit every other day, and not even that much cardio. It just melted off, but now, I get muscular and don't lose. It drives me crazy! I don't know whether to stick with it at this poitn or not, because the number needs to go down more than anything else at this point. So yeah, I definitely relate to your dilemma. Are you going to just do mainly cardio now or what? I'm interested to hear your new plan.

Ugh, today was such a piece of crap of a day. It was nasty out and I stayed in my PJs and when I looked out the window next, it was snowing! The roads were pretty bad so I couldn't get to the gym. I relaly should have just gone this afternoon instead of putting it off, so I'm a bit annoyed. Ah well. I'm fixing to drink two extra bottles of water tonight. Maybe if I pee all night it'll be just like I exercised?
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:20 PM   #20  
and Cody too!

S/C/G: 265/245/165

Height: 5'6"

I did my Yourself Fitness workout today and I am feeling it now. I may have pulled a muscle in my leg. It is hurting pretty bad. I hope it feels better in the morning.

Like the genious I am I decided to put Ben Gay on it, and it felt so good, so I decided to put it on my aching muscles from yesterday... the ones under your armpits, on your sides... from doing push ups... and MAN that HURT!!!! I have never experienced anything so painful and I just wanted to rip my skin off. I tried to wash it off with a wash cloth and then jumped back in the shower when that didn't work. It feels a little better but it is still burning a little. Now I know that is a really really really bad idea!
JennasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:42 PM   #21  

Melissa you sure do know how to make a person feel good. I'm so glad to see you back!! Isn't it wonderful having your computer at home working? It's nice for us to since you get to post more often.

Dana, I was training six days a week for thirty minutes each time. Not to heavy. The whole time I was doing it I saw no weight loss. In fact I quit weighing because it was breaking my heart to think that I would be stuck at the weight I am at. I did see alot of muscle gain and definition though. I mean that certainly is not a bad thing, but I have a large frame, and I don't really want it to look any larger. I know on the lifting board they say women won't bulk but only tone. That is not true of me. I really start to bulk up. Only pitfall about not working on some weight resistance now is that I'm going to lose the fat and be flabby and have alot of work to do. At this point I just want to see some loss. I'm going to do just cardio now and see how that goes. I also walk around my neighborhood and stuff but that is not cardio. Who knew that this weight loss junk would require the mind of a rocket scientist.

Elliptical: 5 miles 49min 22sec. (Cardio) I'm pretty proud at the stamina I am starting to build up. I feel like I am going to die, but I am doing a mile in a little under 10 minutes now consistently. Before, I could do the mile in 9 minutes doing HIIT, but I can't do that for very long.

Do you all think that the elliptical calorie burning numbers are right? I read on one website to take then with a grain of salt, so I don't know. I would love to think it is right because at the end of 5 miles I have burned off every calorie I have consumed thus far for the day if it is correct.

I'm really glad to see new faces on the exercise thread. Lots more motivation to be shared that way, and I know that all of us need some of that from time to time
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:26 AM   #22  
Learning to love ME!

Jennasmom, is your leg better (and your skin--ouch!!! Thanks for the warning!)? What is Yourself Fitness? I'm not familiar with it, but it sounds like it gives you a good workout.

Tammy, I don't think the calorie count on the elliptical trainer is accurate. I know it burns a lot of calories, but not as much as the monitor says (I wish!).

Melissa, are you doing Winsor pilates? I do the Method, but have done it on and off for years, and would love a change, although how much change can there be with pilates exercises?

I didn't get to do step aerobics yesterday, but I did do the Method show and it was cardio kickboxing. Unfortunately, the cardio only lasts about 15 minutes, but I figured it was better than nothing.

So because I didn't do my morning workout yesterday, I really had to force myself to get out of bed this morning. We are such creatures of habit--only one day off and I was already tempted to backslide. But I did my step aerobics tape--Yay! And of course I feel great, but getting myself started is such a chore.

Last edited by Gypsydancer; 01-12-2005 at 08:28 AM.
Gypsydancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:55 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Tammy - I don't know much at all about weight lifting but if it's taking away some motivation I think your taking the right step in reworking your workouts. You should give Pilates a try. I think you'll really enjoy it and it's a really great workout. (I use the ball and it's fun!) I'm going to be doing other workouts besides WATP. I'm getting bored with it. I wish I wasn't I think I burned myself out with it last month. I should of been planing my workouts when I was sick. UGH!! I need to rethink them. I have the weirdest worry right now... it's what if I'm working out and my daughter goes into labor and I'm all sweaty I don't want to go in the room with her looking like that. Geeeeeeeeeez what's wrong with me?

Gypsydancer - Thank for the info on yoga. I often wonder if I'm benifiting from it because I can't some of the poses.

JennasMom - OUCH! I hope your feeling better today.

djs06 - "Maybe if I pee all night it'll be just like I exercised?" ... LOL well your saying that gave me a good belly lol. Worked my abs. hehe Thanks =)

melsfolly - I agree this is a wonderful place to be! I know that w/o 3FC I woudn't have lost. HUGZ TO EVERYONE! Thanks

As for my my Tuesday workout was a bust. We ended up going to the hospital . My daughter was put on the machine for a stress test and she's having mild contractions 2 minutes apart they said they might go away. She's had them all night. But she's still not phased. (I guess she's somewhat thick) The doctor said he did what he could to loosen her up. We were there what seemed like forever. I was so hungry. I didn't eat lunch because I was to nervous. Then when it was time for supper my daughter asked if we could get subway. I said sure. I told my husband to get me one of those low fat sandwiches. He got a roasted chicken but he put mayo and cheese on it. He forgot I don't put those thing on now. It was really good but I'm feeling terrible guilty for eating it. Why didn't I try and take off the cheese and mayo!!
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:23 AM   #24  
Fat N Sassy

Well my Kaboose is a bit sore today, last night I did 1.5 miles on a very interesting bicycle looking contraption not sure if 1.5 miles is good or not but I sure feel it this morning.

Yes Mels I do realize I am very lucky. Jason is definately my baby but I think that is because I haven't had to share him with his father. He of course would never admit that he is something of a 'Momma's Boy'
kkayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:07 PM   #25  

Darlene - Yourself Fitness is an X-Box workout program. ( I was in Best Buy and seen one that ran from a computer the other day) You have a personal trainer. She'll test you on your fitness then build a workout for you. She also figures out your workout by what you have say a ball or weights ect... There is a food menu you can go by. There is also yoga and some other stuff. I really really liked it the only problem was I hurt my knee doing some of the workouts. You can skip them but I want I'm kind of stubborn and want to do it all. Right now I'm telling myself once I lose more weight I'll be able to do the jumping jacks and the squats. But I'm not so sure that is true since I have bad knees. We'll have to see. I really think that it's well worth the money. Maya (personal trainer) sure can make you sweat!
Old 01-12-2005, 05:08 PM   #26  

Whoops I forgot about writing in my workout.
Wed.
3 Mile WATP
2 Mile WATP
1 Mile WATP
LOL so much for changing my workout
Old 01-12-2005, 07:00 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Tammy, let us know how your workout change works out for you. It's hard to find out exactly what you need to do! I hate that! I'm going to keep it up with weight training for now (I think my eating still hasn't been too great even though it's better than it's been in months). If I am consistent around 1300 calories/day and I still see no loss, then I'm definitely stopping for now.

Today I did 10 minutes on the stair master, 25 upper body weights, 10 minutes on the treadmill (I HATE that thing lol) and 30 on the cross trainer. I have what I like to refer to as workout ADD- even if I'm not dying after 10 minutes, I'm sure dying for a switch.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:15 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Tuesday

20 min. stretching
15 min. walking

Wednesday

2 mile WATP
15 min. walking
20 min. stretching
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:29 PM   #29  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

Great job everyone! I WANT ONE OF THOSE YOURSELF FITNESS THINGERS!

Darlene, yes I do the Windsor Pilates. I enjoy it so much! People have said that I seem taller and I know it's because of the Pilates.

Today I only worked out at Curves - but I did do an extra round so I'm satisfied.

Melissa
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:59 PM   #30  
Ready to take care of me!

I would love to try pilates. I always thought you had to be somewhat thin to do it.

Yesterday 45 mins treadmill

Today 30 mins treadmill
10 mins weights
15 mins walk with ds
~moon puppy~ is offline   Reply With Quote