Old 06-23-2019, 02:35 AM   #46  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveCats1973 View Post
Thanks flower123 and mjf.
I will have to look into whether or not my insurance will cover visits to a dietitian.
great. any kind and good support you could get. whatever feels right to you

flower123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:18 AM   #47  

Well, I saw my psychiatry care provider yesterday, and he said he will give me a referral to a dietitian. I really hope my insurance will cover it, as I won't be able to afford it otherwise.
He agrees with me that I need to stay on my Geodon (Ziprasidone) medication, because my life was truly intolerable before I started taking it (and similar meds, prior).
I MUST stay on my meds, otherwise my life is miserable.

I posted a thread in the depression area of the forum, but no one has responded.
I just want to know if anyone here has been successful losing weight while on Geodon (Ziprasidone), or similar meds, which is the ONLY thing that helps my treatment resistant OCD.

Also, my depression is making it so hard to motivate myself to do ANYTHING. Everything is SO hard.
I guess I'm afraid that if I give up the donuts, cinnamon rolls, chips and cheetos, it won't make any difference and I still won't lose weight. These things are pretty much the only things that bring me any happiness (besides my cat). So I want to be sure it will work. That I'll lose weight if I drastically cut back on the junk food.
And motivate myself to walk in the hall.
I detest any kind of physical activity, so I only want to do it if it will for SURE help me lose weight.
I just need a bit more encouragement.

Last edited by ILoveCats1973; 06-25-2019 at 08:27 AM.
ILoveCats1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:06 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 182/130/130

Height: 5'3"

I'm hope the insurance will cover a dietitian and that you can get a plan outlined. Some medications do indeed cause some weight gain, but I think you can realize that what is causing yours is that you simply eat too much. That sounds a bit harsh, but I've been there and there it is. Eating too much food causes weight gain.

There is no doubt about it. If you give up your donuts, cinnamon rolls, chips and cheetos you WILL lose weight. You WILL.

A sedentary person can certainly lose weight, but you will have to plan your eating on that. Less movement = less calories you need. I'm sure you will find that desire for more movement will come gradually as you lose weight.

You might find this show helpful. I did. Secret Eaters, which was a reality show in the UK definitely was produced for entertainment value, but the show also gives an insight into how much we eat without realizing it, or denying that what we are eating has a lot of calories. You can find the show in various places on YouTube.

Don't be afraid. So many of us here on this forum have been right where you are in many ways. Many of us have done well conquering the problems, but it's always a work in progress. It's for life and there will be ups and downs. It's SO worth it to try. Please try it.
Old Biddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:08 PM   #49  

Thanks Old Biddy.
I watched an episode of Secret Eaters on youtube, and I'll watch some more.
Thanks for telling me about that show.
And thank you for the encouragement.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:55 AM   #50  
mjf

Quote:
I guess I'm afraid that if I give up the donuts, cinnamon rolls, chips and cheetos, it won't make any difference and I still won't lose weight. These things are pretty much the only things that bring me any happiness (besides my cat). So I want to be sure it will work. That I'll lose weight if I drastically cut back on the junk food.
If you stop eating junk food, and replace it with healthier food, then yes, you'll lose weight. It's not about how much you eat. It's about what you eat.

If you're looking for a simple explanation of what to eat, you might like Canada's food guide. They have a picture of a plate so you can see what a balanced meal looks like: 1/2 vegetables and fruit, 1/4 protein foods, 1/4 whole grains. They don't have a separate section for healthy fats, but there are some nuts in the protein section.

If food and your cat are the only things that brings you happiness, maybe it's time for a new hobby. I don't know what you're interested in, but there are many hobbies to choose from.

Physical activity will become much easier as you lose weight.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:30 AM   #51  

I have been thinking about your dilemma ILoveCats and wondered about your portion sizes with your favorite foods. I understand your anxiety and wondered if you could start by reviewing how much of your favorites you eat. For example, df you have a whole bag of Cheetos (that's what I did ) or do you have a portion size? Same with the other favorites. If you check the packaging on the foods you are hesitant to give up, and measure out only the recommended portion size that will help you start.

mjf, if depression is severe enough then a person can't even think about keeping busy because it's hard to care about interests. A person may literally just sit or lay down and stare into space for hours. Been there and done that. I used to watch a film or read a book and wonder how all of those people had energy or interest in even the smallest of things. A depressed person wants to do things, but getting yourself to do them is another matter. It's a quandary. I sure do hope ILoveCats can find something that will bring some joy.

That's a great link to the food guide. I found that very helpful.

Last edited by Old Biddy; 06-26-2019 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:43 PM   #52  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Biddy View Post
I have been thinking about your dilemma ILoveCats and wondered about your portion sizes with your favorite foods. I understand your anxiety and wondered if you could start by reviewing how much of your favorites you eat. For example, df you have a whole bag of Cheetos (that's what I did ) or do you have a portion size? Same with the other favorites. If you check the packaging on the foods you are hesitant to give up, and measure out only the recommended portion size that will help you start.

mjf, if depression is severe enough then a person can't even think about keeping busy because it's hard to care about interests. A person may literally just sit or lay down and stare into space for hours. Been there and done that. I used to watch a film or read a book and wonder how all of those people had energy or interest in even the smallest of things. A depressed person wants to do things, but getting yourself to do them is another matter. It's a quandary. I sure do hope ILoveCats can find something that will bring some joy.

That's a great link to the food guide. I found that very helpful.
Portion control is definitely hard for me when it comes to my favorite foods.
I can easily eat a whole bag of cheetos, or a whole bag of Hostess mini donuts in 1 or 2 sittings.
I know that's a problem.

Yesterday, I had cheese sticks and Ritz crackers instead of donuts and cheetos, so small victories I guess.

And mjf, thank you for the link to the Canadian food guide. I found that helpful.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:37 PM   #53  
mjf

Improving your diet might help with depression, for example eating vegetables may reduce risk of depression by 62%. (source)

Exercise might also help with depression. Doing aerobic exercise 3 times per week seems to be just as effective as antidepressant medication, although doing a combination of both (exercising and taking medication) is even more effective. (source)

If portion control is hard, have you considered throwing out the cheetos and the donuts, so you won't be tempted?

Cheese sticks and ritz crackers are a minor improvement (compared to cheetos and donuts), but they're not healthy foods.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:45 PM   #54  

I am interested in possibly helping to relieve my depression by what I eat, so thank you for the information.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:42 PM   #55  

mjf is right in that eating well can improve depression. I was able to go off my anti-depression meds and I was on them for over 20 years.

It's making the decision to start that's the hardest, especially if you don't feel well. It's so worth it, ILoveCats.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:46 AM   #56  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Biddy View Post
mjf is right in that eating well can improve depression. I was able to go off my anti-depression meds and I was on them for over 20 years.

It's making the decision to start that's the hardest, especially if you don't feel well. It's so worth it, ILoveCats.
Thanks Old Biddy.
I will try.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:19 AM   #57  

Quote:
Thanks Old Biddy.
I will try.