Old 05-07-2015, 08:25 AM   #301  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Hello everyone so after a mini-hiatus, I'm back. Work has been crazy, I feel like my eating has been not great. Not horrifically bad, but far from ideal. I'm half scared to get on the scale to see where I am but I should and I will tomorrow. I guess I'm going through a really hungry month and it's not been fun. But whine, whine, whine, I've dragged myself back on here because even just reading what you guys say keeps me a little on track and maybe if not exactly on plan, then not totally off the rails. I haven't exercised in ages, okay not AGES, just this week, but it feels like ages.

Diane: Heyyyy!!! I checked in the day of your race and wrote a whole long congratulatory post for making it through the unfavourable conditions and then it got lost in internetland and I gave up and ate my own baking but yayyy!!! I'm so happy you did it and made it. I understand totally about not wanting to necessarily do races but to have self-challenges you build up to. That's kind of my running philosophy too. As for running in the heat... it IS hard! I have hot and humid all year and it can get pretty oppressive if you're not doing it in the early mornings. After a certain hour of day, that kind of exercise needs to be indoors, I say!

Paulitens: I'm glad the scale is showing you love! And what a great idea doing Duolingo on the treadmill! What's your 2nd language? I love the idea of being multilingual and I'm so not. I'm only good at English, borderline okay at creole and then mediocre at best at a couple of others.

Kelly: Yay the scale finally cooperating!!! I hope your foot feels better too. Booo the munchies! That's my problem as well! My munchiness is usually "healthy" snacks... which are probably only really healthy in the recommended serving size... But when you're munchy, who wants just ONE serving size??? Who are these magical people??? I have a few of the Tae Bo videos too and I am not the hugest fan of his style either. In that realm of kick-boxiness, I really like Chalene Johnson who has the Turbo Jam and Turbo Fire series because she's fun and encouraging and a little silly without being annoying OR there's Cathe who's serious and more business like. Jillian Michaels also has a kickboxing video but it's kind of boring and a little disjointed in my opinion. Not that you asked for recs but my first go around losing weight and maintaining was mostly down to running and kickboxing dvds so I'm always giving unsolicited suggestions whenever anyone shows the slightest interest.

Alright guys, I've got to get back to work. It's so exciting that we are all (well in my case maybe) sooooo close to a new decade. It's hard but maybe we can all push each other to make it.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:18 AM   #302  
On my way to -70

S/C/G: 202/192/132lbs

Height: 5'4''

Here I am, still hanging in the 90s... I was up a lb yesterday morning after a scrumptious dinner with the family on Tuesday and a girls' night out with froyo (and boy did I eat some froyo!) The cup was overflowing. I'm such a pig! But it was a ton of fun. And today I'm back down to 195.0. I need to keep myself going.

Slashnl-- I hope to see the 180s soon too! At this pace it might take a while but whatever. I wish I had your willpower to work out daily.

MissLoud -- I wish my boobs got smaller! Three kids down and they've only gotten bigger. It's like I've added one D to my cup per kid (yes, I'm a DDD now). Even when I lost 40 lbs last year my cup size didn't budge. My back, yes. It's something, I guess! But I, too, want to get a breast lift when I decide I'm done having babies for sure. With the breast lift my cup will go down a tad.

toastedsmoke -- I'm the same way! Checking in here keeps me focused. Or more focused than the lame usual, hahaha! Unfortunately studying French is more appealing to me than walking on the treadmill, and while I've been doing my lessons almost daily, I haven't set foot on the treadmill since Saturday. My baby's teething and he's been having some rough nights, and so have I. I don't have the energy for it.
My second language is English, my first is Spanish; I'm originally from Argentina but I live in the States now. I have a pretty long list of languages I want to learn, because I'm a linguist and everyone's first question when they learn that is "so... how many languages do you speak?" as if the two were related, and I just want to amuse them. Just kidding. I don't want to learn to amuse anyone, I'm just fascinated by languages (and yes, I am a linguist).

Last edited by Paulitens; 05-07-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Paulitens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:32 PM   #303  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Hi all. Not much new here. Workouts are going well, running is awesome. Food plan is ok, but I have to overthink it ALL THE TIME. I wish it was just naturally easy. I'm really trying to get under 220, if not at the next weigh in, at least the one after that. On another thread, I had a goal of 216 by the weigh in after Mother's Day. Well, that isn't happening. I knew it was an aggressive goal, but I would really like to be below 220 at least. I am ok with the slow weight loss, as long as it keeps going down.

It has been raining a lot here lately. It rained all day yesterday, up until about 20 minutes before I got off from work. Then it was sunny, so I decided to run outside. It was beautiful, but when I made my turn to go back, I saw a huge black cloud coming over the mountain. At first I thought I'd be ok, but then I saw the lightning and it was moving pretty fast. Long story short... my last mile time was way better than my first mile time! Ha! I made it back to my truck just before it started raining. Whew!

Paulitens: Mmm! Froyo! That's a tough one to be disciplined with! Glad you had a good time!!

Toasted: So glad to see you back here! I really miss it when you are gone. You're posts are just fun to read, so keep posting. Even if you are having not so great on plan days! You'll get it back, just get your workouts going again!

MissLoud: Glad to hear that you went down a pound! Always good to have it go down.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:45 AM   #304  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Hey guys, not much has changed with being particularly on plan. I'm not over eating to weight gaining levels (I'm averaging 1500-1600/day or so), but I'm still eating over my calorie targets everyday and not working out. But maybe I just needed this week out because what do you know, the scales have dropped again to 170.0. I've never bought into eat more and lose weight or anything but maybe I just needed an off week to shock my body into some change. I dunno... I'm not quite sure what to make of it, but I won't complain. I am going to get back to running probably tomorrow mostly because I feel better in my mind when I'm fit. My lack of exercise is hovering around my to-do list making me feel unaccomplished.

Paulitens: OMG I've always wanted to go to Argentina. One day, I will. I'm determined! I'm in awe of people who speak more than one language well. I'm always like: "what do you think in?" or "what language do you dream in?" It fascinates me. I get the linguist comments: I graduated with a French minor, and even did major thesis work in French, understandably everybody expects me to be fluent now 8 years later... I am not. I've forgotten most of what I knew. Spanish is the other language I'm barely mediocre at, and all the Spanish I know is from rooming with a Mexican and a Venezuelan girl in my college prep year. I might just Duolingo Spanish and see how that goes. As far as the scale hiccup, yeah we're trying to lose weight but there's still real life and no one should say no to the occasional night out with loved ones or frozen yoghurt. I never say no to frozen yoghurt. #dreamsofpinkberry #stopdropandfroyo

Diane: You're totally right. I need to get my workouts going again and I know that if I do, I'll feel a lot better about how things are going with being on plan and feeling out of sync with how that's going. Ha at your last mile being better. I know what you mean. I needed to use the bathroom on a run a couple of weeks ago and my last kilometre was my Map My Run record because I was running home.

Alright guys, I hope everyone is doing well. Blessings and a wonderful weekend to you all.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:21 AM   #305  
On my way to -70

Today I was 194.8. very tiny improvement. Oh well. Hopefully the numbers keep going down. If I'm 193.something on Monday I'll be happy.

I had a rather frustrating day yesterday with a fussy baby who wouldn't be happy in any way because he's teething and two other kiddos whose hobby is to annoy each other, so I worked out at night. I walked backwards and uphill on the treadmill for a quarter of a mile and now my glutes are a-hurtin' but I feel pretty good about it. Then I did the rest just facing forward awhile working out my arms. I have no clue where I put my dumbbells for that, though.

Slashnl -- I'm there with you about having to overthink the food part. It's constantly in my mind. What I'm going to eat next, how many calories, how many carbs, am I really hungry or is it just a craving, is it healthy, can I afford a weekly splurge? Ugh. But then I do the same with working out; I get on the treadmill and start overthinking it. Will these calories burned be enough to have an extra snack tonight, how many miles can I go without my knee hurting, this is boring, I could be doing something more productive, why am I not sweating like I did the last time? And so on... maybe I'm just an overthinker, overall.

One thing I did not over think was that froyo. I tried all the chocolaty flavors possible, and put all the possible chocolaty candy toppings. And then I come here and whine that I'm not losing weight! SMH.

toastedsmoke -- what country in Africa are you from/do you live in? Are you really in Africa? I've been obsessed with visiting South Africa for the longest time. Back when I was studying English in Argentina I made a few South African pen pals. I had a huge crush on one of them but anyway. And now I teach ESL online for a private university and have had students from Ghana, Cameroon, and Nigeria. They're so sweet and so eager to learn; it's very humbling to see their excitement toward learning. I would totally recommend Duolingo! As opposed to Rosetta Stone, that works through immersion, Duolingo works through translation. So far I like it a lot. And what I like the most is that it's free (RS is friggin' expensive!). It's interesting, though, I knew very little French and now that I resumed studying it words are coming back to me. The same had happened when I studied English as a 10 year old and quit, and then resumed 4 years later. I know that for most of the part if we don't use it, we lose it. I'm slowly losing my Spanish and it bugs me because while I'm super fluent in writing, orally it's becoming increasingly more difficult to have a conversation. Give Spanish or French a try in Duolingo! Maybe you'll like it and maybe it will all come back to you.

Last edited by Paulitens; 05-08-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:06 PM   #306  
Diane

Hi all. I took a day off from work today so that I could do some yard work. Well, it has been raining, and it was really windy, so I'm not doing yard work, but still took the day. I cleaned out a couple of cabinets in my kitchen. Amazing how much more room there is when you clean out the stuff that doesn't have a matching lid, you have no idea what you would ever use it for, etc. Not all that fun, but it looks nicer now. I did go to spin this morning, and I think I'll head back to the gym for a run. I hear thunder outside, so I don't think that will be an option outside.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:04 PM   #307  
On my way to -70

Nothing much this morning; I was 195.4. I'll be a good girl this week for my weight in on Monday.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:11 AM   #308  

Height: 5'5"

Good morning, everyone!

I have done a touch of skimming, but am not going to try to get caught up.

I return this time with modest goals.

1 - I will check in every day.
2 - I will wear my Fitbit daily, and will get my 10,000 steps. (I didn't put it on today.)
3 - By Friday, I will have a new fitness plan. I have been surprised at how much this new health condition (newly-discovered) has affected my head. I just need to get some professional advice. I have done some searches, but am not finding what I need to know. I am also mourning the reality that I probably shouldn't be doing a lot of heavy lifting (until I figure out what's safe) or running, the two things that have formed the core of my fitness regimen. But I can walk. And I will.
4 - I will step on the scale every morning.
5 - I will enjoy a calorie-counting-free meal on my birthday. And I will eat cake. If I want it.

Also, will y'all spend a few minutes to answer the following question:

Given all the ups and downs, the stops and starts, the frustrations and inconveniences -- is this all worth it? I know it is, but I need to words of inspiration.

Up to 221 this morning. But I stepped on the scale. I stepped on the scale, y'all. And I checked in here. =)

Happy Monday!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:05 PM   #309  
Diane

Hi all. Hope everyone had a good Mother’s Day! I had a good weekend. Workouts are going well, and I went running on Saturday even though it had to be at the gym. I took my 21 yo daughter and she swam while I ran. I was about to mile 2, and here she comes with her smoothie in hand. It made me laugh, I’m sweating to death and she’s enjoying a tropical smoothie. Oh well. I went to spin this morning, and I want to run tonight. I am hoping the weather is better today. I have my weigh in tomorrow, and I’m hoping for a good result. I was involved in another thread that was a challenge through Mother’s Day, and I ended up under 220. I just hope it sticks for tomorrow. It’s been taking so long to lose lately. My husband was asking how I had boosted the loss after the weeks of not losing. I told him that honestly, I was not being as disciplined as I should have been. I would allow for way too many overages on calories, so I was maintaining most of the time, or losing very little. I’m trying to focus on keeping diligent with calories. I can’t let myself splurge too much just because I have added running. Ha!

Paulitens: How did the weigh in go? Hope it was good!

Laurie: I’m so glad you are back to posting. We all really need you to stay with us! So, if nothing else, do it for me!! I miss you too much when you’re gone, and then I don’t want to post anything. Seriously though, I am sorry you are going through the medical stuff right now. It is so hard to keep going when things are ok and you’re feeling fine. It’s even harder when you have to adjust your program. But, to your question about going through the ups and downs … is it still worth it? The answer is a very big “YES”! Here’s how I look at it… Even if I’m not where I wanted to be by this time, and even though it is so much work to keep workouts going, to keep counting calories, to resist lapsing to old habits… I know that if the alternative is to give up, then I can go back to all of those bad feelings again. Feeling unfit and not having energy to live my life is not something I ever want to do again. I am still carrying too much weight, but I also know that I can look forward to fishing, camping, and hunting this summer because I won’t be so winded/out of breath/tired that I can’t do it. Even just with eating habits, I can’t go back to what it was before. I don’t want to feel overly full and sick because I want to eat a sausage, egg and cheese croissant every day. I like the way I feel after a healthy lunch or dinner, and sometimes feeling a little hungry is not a bad thing. Drinking water instead of drinking Pepsi makes me feel better, I don’t miss the overabundance of sugar! I know that you already know all of that, but sometimes it is overwhelming. It looks like your plan is to take it one day at a time. That’s so smart!!! Do it! Just keep talking to us and we can help you through the hard times. Think of all of our friends who used to post on here with us and are no longer showing up. Besides missing them, we also can’t help support whatever they might be going through. They are missing out on words of encouragement that can only come from those of us who have been in the same place as they are, and are just trying to get by in the best way we can. Stay strong! You CAN do this!!!!
Old 05-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #310  
On my way to -70

LaurieDawn - You're off to a great start! Slow and steady wins the race. And if anything, stay with us! We're here for each other and it does help a lot to have this support group.

Slashnl - Man! You're totally killing it with your workouts! Such a great example. Happy Mother's Day!

The weigh in went as I feared: still 195.something. I'm at a mixture of a plateau and having "off" days, which doesn't help. Also I'm wondering if maybe my metabolism slowed down as I'm in my mid-30s and recently had my third baby, or if it's that it's just very difficult to lose weight when you just had a baby? I don't know. I'm not breastfeeding either. Saturday had been pretty much perfect; I was resolute in my plan to see 193.something on the scale today, but yesterday, being Mother's Day, I splurged and had barbecue that we were invited to at the last minute, plus some other treats. And apparently that didn't do me any good. I think I cannot have days off. It's frustrating but I keep at it. Maybe one day my body will stop fighting my good efforts and just lose these lbs that make me cringe so much so I get into the 180s once and for all.

Never give up, never surrender.

Last edited by Paulitens; 05-11-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #311  
I CAN DO IT

S/C/G: 300/ see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey ladies! I have been a part of 3FC since September 2010, I lost 110 pounds by May 2011 and was 180 pounds I felt great. I got pregnant with baby #4 in June 2011, and baby #5 June 2013 I have gained all my weight back in almost 3 years. I saw a video my 7 year old took last week and was so upset with the way I looked I cried. I really need encouragement to stay on track and I need to be countable so I would love to join weekly weigh ins.
Ky30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:27 AM   #312  
On my way to -70

Oh, Ky30... I know the feeling! I started eating healthy last year for the first time in my life, was doing great, had lost 30 lbs, then I found out I was pregnant with number 3, lost 10 lbs more, and then when the 20th week hit I couldn't do it anymore and regained almost everything I had worked so hard to lose. Looking at picture of my skinnier, healthier self last year makes me so sad! But I am here, and while I'm here and trying, my battle isn't lost. Stay with us. We're all on this together.

Today I weighted in and I was 194.6. It felt good and my first thought, as opposed to the last weeks was "well, yesterday was the PERFECT day, if that's what it takes, do the same." And I will. I hope to see 193.something tomorrow and keep at it. I can't have "off" days. While in the past a few days of unhealthy eating didn't seem to do me any wrong, now something has changed and I simply can't take that liberty.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #313  

Height: 5'5"

Good morning, everyone!

I have gotten into the habit of diving into work when I get to work. Not a bad habit, but I spend enough time on work that it's a much better habit to write for a bit on 3FC, get my day focused, and then dive into work. My assistant was waiting for me this morning with a stack of things to do, and I got a little carried away, but I brought myself over here. Just gotta do it.

Paulitens - Your Gordon B. Hinckley quote makes me think "Mormon." =) But the quote is so on point. Congrats on being under 195! Such a great milestone!

Ky30 - Glad you found this group. I have not been nearly as active as I need to be lately, but it's a fantastic support system. Glad to have you posting.

Toasted - I am going to go back and read fairly soon. I have missed so many of your funny, inspirational, "this is real life" posts. I saw this article about a trainer who fat-shamed a woman on social media after a baseball game where she consumed some relatively high-calorie foods and then logged them into her myfitnesspal app. "Who does she think she's kidding?" was his general summation. The woman responded to the fat-shaming with before and after pictures of how she had lost almost 100 pounds, though she was still trying to lose more. And I thought, "That's Toasted. She has her higher-calorie days, but she never fails to track, and that's why she continues to be so successful all these years later."

Diane - I have missed you so much! I cut and pasted and printed out your post and put it up in my office. I know how I feel when I'm working out and eating well, and I feel much better about everything. The most ironic thing? I don't think my husband really cares about the weight per se. I'm still 20 pounds down from when we got married last year. But he's been encouraging me to go to the gym. Not only do I think it helps my outlook, but I feel so much sexier. 220, 240, 190. I have seen all those numbers in the last year. But the difference in how I look and how I dress and how much I take care of my appearance is the direction of the scale, not the number. And it only takes a week or two of commitment to regain that confidence.

Didn't weigh this morning. Forgot. Will weigh tomorrow.

If I get weight loss points per word typed, the scale should show really good results tomorrow morning. But I don't think that's how this works.

Another day in the trenches, ladies! Let's do this!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:40 PM   #314  
Diane

Hi all. Had a good weigh in this morning, although I was disappointed in not being below 220. I tried jumping up and down, moving around on the scale, but it held true at 220.0. I think it would have been nice to have lost just .2 pounds more. Oh well, maybe next week I can get into the 2 teens.

I did go running last night, and it was a pretty good run for a Monday. The weather was perfect. Loved it! Creepy guy in the parking lot, smoking cigarette after cigarette, but he stayed on his side of the lot, so I was ok. I went to body pump this morning, and it was a good workout. My shoulders are so tired because that part of the workout was intense. No running tonight, but I really need to try to do some mowing tonight. I have a pretty big lawn, so maybe some tonight and then the rest on Thursday. I don't want to do it, but it is a good workout, right?

KY30: Welcome!! You've found the right group. We all understand losing and then regaining. So now you are ready to start losing again! You can do it!! Take it day by day and keep checking back here. You'll be great!

Paulitens: Good for you with your perfect day! Here's to a bunch more!! I know that it is so important to stay diligent, I know I need to as well. But if we slip, we need to forgive ourselves and move on!

Laurie: Yay! Another post! My husband also seems to be happy with where I'm at, or wherever I want to be. He said the other day that I just need to do whatever it takes to get to where I want to be. If the house isn't perfectly clean and the yard is scruffy, that's ok! I was glad he said that because I was stressed about it. We have acreage and animals, so he takes care of that part. I do the lawn around the house, for the most part, and it isn't looking very good right now. Oh well. Anyway, onward and upward! I'm glad that you liked what I posted. I kept thinking that you would have had better words, but I'm just hoping that you find encouragement there. You can do it!!
Old 05-12-2015, 05:57 PM   #315  
On my way to -70

LaurieDawn -- Haha! Yes, he is a Mormon and so am I. He was such an optimistic man! I just love his quotes and his messages. He's been a great, positive influence in my life, so of course this journey isn't the exception.

I wish we lost weight per word typed. I teach online so I'm constantly typing stuff to my students. I would be super skinny!

Slashnl -- oh, I hate those days! I weighed myself in this morning, took care of everybody and got them out the door, and then I went back to the bathroom to see if all that moving had changed my 194.6 lbs. It did! It was 193.6. I was so ecstatic I wanted to double check. But no. It was 194.6 still. Wa waa waaa! And I got off the scale, and on again, put my weight on my heels, put my weight on my toes, moved the scale around... nothing changed. You're such an inspiration to me when it comes to working out! I need to work out! But I'm so seriously lazy...

So far, though, I'm having another pretty perfect day. That would be two perfect days in a row. Woah! I almost don't recognize myself.