Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 01:19 PM   #16  

Everyone's doing so well! Congrats Denise on your success. How did that fast food dinner go?

Jessica - your film class sounds cool.

Kayla - congrats on your goal-setting. You've motivated me to do the same!

I had three days OP (finally) and then had a bad dinner last night. We had people over and my dh served all my trigger foods (mexican, and we had chips and his awesome guac, with his famous choco chip cookies for dessert).

I told him afterwards that I am like an alcoholic who had just three days of sobreity and then hosted a cocktail party!

Anyway, I'm not going to let it get me off track. We are having someone else over on Sat. and I already am making sure the menu isn't too tempting.

Our adoption process has moved back a little. (It hasn't really moved back, I just have a better understanding of when we will reach each stage.) Knowing that I had more time to lose weight has made me kind of lax about it. Now I have about 4 1/2 -
5 months.

I'm going to use the March points challenge for accountability. I've been so wimpy over the past two months (makes me mad that I've wasted that time - and look how much you've LOST over those two months SANDI!) and haven't jumped in on a challenge.

I keep wondering if I need to join WW again, or if I can do this on my own. I went to that nutritionist but my car broke down in December and we haven't had the $$ to see about getting it fixed. And, I didn't like her.

It's just kind of embarrassing to joing WW for the 22nd time. I'm not sure it's that high, but it's pretty close. The car thing makes WW hard, too. Of course, I could do the online WW.

It would help if DH and I were on the same diet, but he is on Atkins and I last about 2 hours on that diet - yuck!

So, I'm motivated to stay OP for the month of March (and doing it one day at a time) but am trying to figure out what else I can do to make sure I succeed. Any opinions on the WW thing?

Angi
Old 02-28-2003, 02:27 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Hey, don't be embarassed about joining WW for the 22nd time! I joined again last fall for probably more than the 22nd time. In fact, I was on WW when I was in high school over 30 years ago! I've made it to goal twice since then, but I've never been in the right mindset to maintain the weight loss. Now I am so I joined again, and I'm really happy I did. Plus finding this website and getting support both at the meetings (it helps to have a good leader) and through the challenges here has really helped a lot.

I know that I'm not someone who can do it herself. I tried, but couldn't succeed so I decided I wasn't going to be ashamed that I need the help of WW.

So, I say go for it!
Old 02-28-2003, 02:32 PM   #18  

Thanks Sheila! I just joined online WW and am excited about it. I also just weighed for the first time in a month or so. It was bad news (6 1/2 pounds gained) but it's now a known quantity.

I feel good about knowing the truth and doing something about it.

I'll go back to the meetings if we can get the car fixed.

Angi
Old 02-28-2003, 02:39 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

i hadn't posted in here yet. just leaving little comments here and there, never hitting the big thread.

well, feb. is almost over and i am GLAD. for the first 3 weeks, i was so happy to be on plan, so proud of my point challege numbers, etc. this last week i have considered giving up SOOOO many times.

you may all be impressed by the way sandi and i have managed to get perfect months. however, i'm not so sure it is doing me good right now. i'm worn out from too much exercise, i have incredibly sore muscles, and i want to pounce on anything that resembles food. SO, i am going to make it till tomorrow, and then i am going to try a new plan for march.

my goals for march:
- free day march 1st! NO PLANNED EXERCISE!! if i bike somewhere or whatever, cool, but no videos or workout room! all 3 meals are free. get it out of my system. don't be a , but be satisfied. go out to dinner, my choice! no journalling, either.
- starting march 2nd, 5 days of exercise a week. that's healthy.
- starting march 3rd, do the 3-day diet for a metabolism shocker. then resume normal plans.
- at least 1 free meal a week. JOURNAL IT so i know what i'm doing, but enjoy
- SMILE and LOVE MYSELF. i've been forgetting that part this week.

i plan to have a good march. i'm going to be working toward my easter goal.

Last edited by gonzostar; 02-28-2003 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-28-2003, 04:43 PM   #20  

holly, it sounds like you have a great plan for March. I think that it is best that you do not get too burned out. All of those perfect days could just do it to you.

Angi, I think that WW online is a great tool, as long as you can commit to it. That is what I did back last summer, and I lost 40 pounds, but then I started to get a little lax, and then eventually just quit. I have started WW again, but because I had printed most of the information and created my own weight tracker chart, I thought I could do it on my own. I am doing WW at home, but I think that it just takes a lot more committment.

Sandi, you are in a great mindset about your free day on Saturday!!! I think that you will be great. You seem to be so completely motivated lately. Good for you.

Me, I had another on plan day yesterday, and today I'm doing pretty good again. I think that I can do this again, and I will get a move on it!! I DO NOT want to regain all of the weight that I worked so darned hard to lose last year. I WILL meet my goals this year, and within the next two months I will weigh less than 200.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:26 PM   #21  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Kayla - that's the part that scres me most.... what happens if I gain it back!!! Noooooo!

Dana - You go chica! The YMCA is an awesome place to go. I wish I had one near me. PS I love Carlsbad. We have to go up there once a month to pick up our wine-of-the-month at WitchCreek Winery. I wish you lived here!!! I love Madison, WI though. One of my favorite cities.

Sandi - It is soooo easy to get derailed. You're doing so good, I'm proud of you!

Well, my week hasn't been good. Personally, my job is going to heck in a handbasket and I've made the realization that it needs to change. I ate a whole bad of candy yesterday after the big boss decide to do somethign demeaning to everyone and then went home a yelled at everything, ("You stupid bookshelf, why can't you dust yourself!" ) including the Cute Boyfriend, who didn't deserve it. So, the new job search begins.

I also decided that I need to plan out my meals, which I've never done before. It's worth a try!

Wish me luck, my improv group is doing another "Whose Line is it Anyway?" type show this weekend. I think it'll be fun!
Old 03-01-2003, 02:13 AM   #22  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

So the end of May/mid June will be just one birthday thread after another. (6-18 here)

Denise: Glad to hear you're back on track. Please don't ever feel like anyone here is judging you. I can only speak for me, but I'm pretty sure no one else is either.

Jessica: You are brave, girly-girl. I would NEVER have my real weight on my license. NEVER. Not only that, but I stuck my head forward in the pic to make my chinny chin chins not as noticeable. (But the woman taking the picture could tell what I was doing, and was trying to get me not to do it) Break a leg this weekend!

Dana: I agree, 60 degrees would be a heat wave. But soooo nice right about now. Kudos for joining a gym! I hope to do that soon.

Sandi: Congrats on the jeans!!

Kayla: Glad to hear you're rededicated. Your success is a real inspiration to me. Knowing someone actually did it really helps.

Angi: Hope March is a great month for you. Every day brings you closer to being a mom.

Holly: Sounds like a good plan. You've been doing great, I know you will keep it up.

Everyone else: Keep fighting the good fight!

Personally, this has been a good week for weight loss, a bad week on the emotional roller coaster that sometimes accompanies TOM on his visits to me. Argh. Got some exercise in this week. The girls want to bring snacks in again for Fat Tuesday. I am bringing Taco Dip, made w/fat free sour cream & fat free cream cheese. Anyone who doesn't like it can, well, not eat it!!!!

And I am so tired I just typed sour scream. Can't wait to sleep til noon tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2003, 01:06 PM   #23  
JML
Success Story!!!

I'm still here even if I don't post too much. My tendinitis in my arms is getting better and better --- or rather, it takes more and more to make it flare up. My back is still a problem. I can feel that it's out today, and I don't know how to make it better. I don't have a physical therapy appointment until Wednesday. For now, I just have to keep doing my exercises as long as they don't hurt, do my corrections, and hope it gets better or that I'll be ok till Wednesday. Really, this has been so frustrating this year. It's been pretty isolating to be dealing with bad back and arms at the same time for so many months. It means I can't connect much via email with friends, and that I can't go out much. I'm grateful that I've been able to work during this time, but still, it's frustrating.

My physical therapist has a theory. Girls who have been heavy for a long time often have weak muscles where they've carried the most fat. For me, that's the midsection and the hips of course. I'm feeling the effects of my obesity even though I've lost most of the weight. I have weak abdominal, back, glute, and leg muscles (I don't have "core stability"). I'm trying to build them up, but it takes time. Because they're weak, my back goes out easily and doesn't self-correct itself easily. It's strained and injured easily. So, I have a progessive set of exercises to rebuild the muslces that have been weak for so long.

I've been ok with eating. OK, sometimes I eat a little too much, but I'm ok with that. I don't need to be perfect, and it's ok to love chocolate. I just have to be rational about how much I eat, and keep on plugging away, just like I keep on plugging away at my exercises. I can't wait to be ok --- to not worry about my back going out, will I make it through the day, etc.

I need to keep my chin up, so I need to try to stay positive. I can't wait till spring, so I've planted some bulbs in some peat pots on the porch. It's neat to watch the little green shoots come out of the bulbs. It's a little bit of spring in advance. I've planted some asters too, but I haven't seen any shoots yet. Just dirt. Spring and seeds are about hope. You plant the seed and nurture it with the hopes of flowers. You can't see the flowers for a long time, but you have to keep them moist and warm, and you have to wait. Doing my exercises and keeping to my eating plan are like planting and watering my seeds. I hope for flowers (strong healthy back, and healthy weight), but I must just keep plugging along and wait with hope. It's possible.

The weight loss front is going pretty well. I'm at 95.5 pounds lost officially, and I have a little room in my 12's. I never dreamed I'd ever be smaller than a 16. To be a 16 I thought would be incredible and now I have room in my 12's. I wonder if I'll eventually end up as a 10? How incredible would that be? I need to take a new picture. You guys would be proud.

Jeanne
Old 03-01-2003, 10:11 PM   #24  
JML
Success Story!!!

I went out today - and bought myself a beautiful Easter dress. OK, it's a little early, and it's actually a skirt and jacket set, but it's beautiful, and makes me feel beautiful. Makes me feel perky to get something new, and I DO need to gradually build up a new wardrobe. I didn't have a dressy outfit before. I still don't own an actual dress, but I'll get one eventually. I'm getting things little by little. I got a pair of shorts a couple weeks ago. I hope to get a swimsuit next. I feel much less frustrated now. I love my new outfit!!!

Old 03-02-2003, 12:44 PM   #25  
JML
Success Story!!!

Feeling a little blue today. I went to Church yesterday so I stayed home this morning and watched a wonderful movie while my parents and sisters went to Church. "Mrs. Winterbourne." Very sweet romantic comedy. The kindness of the family members to one another is so touching. My sisters came home within the last half hour, walked into the room and tried to change the channel. Usually I don't mind, but I wanted to see the end, so I told them so. They just stayed in the room and talked loudly through the end. I have a sister who hates me, and the others follow her. She won't look at me except to scowl, won't talk to me --- so I can't even find out what's making her angry. She won't answer me or even look at me if I say hello or good morning or ask her how she is. And she hasn't talked to me for months. What can I do? I tried making up with her last summer. She couldn't tell me why she was angry though she said jealousy over weight loss was a part of it. I don't know what's making her angry. I don't know if she knows. But she hates me and wants me to hurt. She's even admitted that much. My parents don't see it. I've mentioned it to my mother and she just sighs and rolls her eyes at me. She's not respecting me as a person. I think my mother is so heavily invested in an ideal of "family unity" and blinded by affection for her other children that she can't see the problem. Hatred is like poison, whether you can see it or not. I can't do anything about my family. The only thing I can control is how I act in return. I'm crying, so I'm upstairs because I don't want my sister to have the satisfaction of knowing that she's hurt me. Is that pride? I also want to get my thoughts together -- and somehow be able to broaden my perspective -- to see above the hurt. I'm not crying about this morning. I'm saddened by the whole ball of wax that's lasted for so long, and probably will not get better. This family situation may never change. Just because I'm hated, doesn't mean I'm a horrible person. Have I done all I can to try to reconcile with my sister? I've done all I can, and it may never be enough. What else can I do? Concentrate on my friendships outside the family, work towards becoming independent of the family, and continue to try to take care of myself -- losing weight, taking care of health, etc. and I'm going to keep saying goodmorning, hello and how are you even if I get no response or only a hurtful look in return.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:40 PM   #26  
Catwoman

Whenever I have trouble with someone hating me for no good reason I put it down to Jealousy. It's not good your sister is always mean to you Jeanne but I think it does sound like she's jealous, try not let it get you down, I think your plan to ignore is a good idea, if you let it get to you then on some level she is winning. Almost 100 pounds down now, that must be so exciting.

Wow! You have to put your weight on your drivers license?? That is too weird, I would hate having to do that. Don't you have photo licenses? I once heard in U.S that they still have paper license's but that was over 10 years ago. If you have a photo license then there is no way you should have to put the weight on. All we have is name and dob, no height weight or anything like that.

Conrats to Sandi and Holly. This is the first time anyone has gotten a perfect score and to think two ppl here did! I'm empressed!

Well after a rather slack week last week my worst in months I have dusted off my WWcd rom and am logging my food and exersize daily, it's the only way. By knowing exactly how many points I can afford for dinner then I can make sure I don't go over. I was just guessing points before and that made it too easy to over eat. So far is going really well, I'm exersizing like a fiend and eating within points

Good luck with the online WW Angi. I think it's a good idea to do it from home when you know so well what your doing and how to do the program, just be strict with yourself and log your food daily - make yourself accoutable. I use the weekly weigh in here as my oficial WW weigh in, sure beat forking out $$ and time just to stand on a scale every week.

Hope everyone else is having a good start to March,

Kitty
Old 03-02-2003, 10:37 PM   #27  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Jeanne - I'm so sorry to hear that your sister is being so hateful. It really does sound like you have done everything that you can. I think you are on the right track. For now, take the high road, saying Hello, being friendly...do what you can. Every now and then reach out to your sister and try again to find out the problem. Besides that, try (I know it's easier said than done) and not worry about her. She is just one person and sometimes as much as we try we cannot please everyone. **HUGS**

And you do need to take a new picture...and we are so VERY proud of you. You have done wonderful and even in spite of of the medical issues you have been dealing with.

Jessicca - Doesn't it drive you crazy when your emotions take over your good sense and you end of feeding your emotions. That is one of the hardest parts of this journey for me. I am such an emotional eater!

Denise - You go Girl!!!

Holly - You are so right. Being perfect is hard work. I'm glad we did it and I'm glad it's OVER!!! I still plan on losing 10 lbs in March but I am not going to push myself so hard.

Angi - I think it's great that you joined WW again. When I started gaining last year it was just a couple weeks after I quit WW. This time I am doing it on my own, but the whole world sure knows about it! I also think that joining the challenge will help give you a push in the right direction! We can do this!!

Kayla - Your goals sound very reasonable. Sometimes I think part of being successful is setting goals that are reasonable enough that we can make them a permanent part of our life.

As for me, I thoroughly enjoyed my free day and managed to get back OP today. I was a little worried that I would cheat today too, but I didn't..Yahhh! I am going to try and lose another 10 lbs in March, putting me at 266.5. When I do this, I will be at my lowest weight since starting this journey, which means I will have lost all that I gained back last year.

Let's have a great week everyone!!
Old 03-03-2003, 01:28 AM   #28  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Jeanne: You are a much better person than I am. If I were being treated like that, I would not be calm about it. Either that or I would play the ignoring game. You've come so far, I'm sure that a lot of it is jealousy.

Kitty: Good for you, getting back on track. I still have to measure out my cereal & pasta, can't eyeball a serving yet. Hey, whatever works, right?

Sandi: You did great this month. I know I'll never have a perfect month, but even a perfect week is something to strive for.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:15 PM   #29  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Hey everyone. sorry I've be MIA for a little while. Drake was really sick with vomitting and diarrhea for a couple of weeks and he's just back to normal this past weekend. Diet and exercise have been out the window while all this has been going on. Oh well. What can you do?

Take care.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:25 PM   #30  

Jen, I'm so sorry to hear about Drake being sick. I hope that it wasn't anything too serious. I'm glad to see you back!

Sandi and Holly, you guys did just great last month. Keep up the good work!

Angi, how is WW online working for you?

JML, I'm sorry to hear about your sisters. I think that it must be very hard for you, but you are in a good place, and remember that you are a great person. Don't let her get you down. You are doing so very well.

I had a pretty good weekend. We had baseball practice for my oldest, the school carnival, and then just playing around and doing some yard work. I did go over in points on Sunday, but I mowed the lawn and planted in the garden, and did a whole lot of working. Even though I was off plan, I wasn't off by too much. I am going to have another OP day today.

Hope everyone is doing well and had a great weekend.
Closed Thread