Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #421  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Good luck, Kellie105. I find it easier to stay on plan at work, so I'd have a hard time doing what you're doing. I'm so sorry that you are not happy. I know you can change that around, though, but getting your weight and health under control. I see you are going to the Bahamas in about 9 months. What an incentive to stay on plan! I hope your new plan to get back on track is the key to also finding happiness. you deserve it and can dothis for yourself. Hang in there - one day, one meal, one choice at a time.

Lin
Old 02-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #422  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Hey, everyone. I lurk in this thread pretty often because you regulars always have good "keep me in line" advice and I love the friendly feel of this thread. But I've noticed that Mrs Tee is no where to be found. Anyone know what's up with that? I looked all the way back to 1/9 before I saw a post from her. Hope all is well.

Lin
Old 02-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #423  
kellie105

S/C/G: 292.5/284.8/170

Height: 5'6

Thanks Lin! Its a little tougher for me to be at work as I work in a call center.. sitting and eating through 13 hour shifts. At home I have two toddlers and theres never a dull moment. I know for sure I will need to be talked down (and up) throughout this process and the support here will make all the difference so in advance- THANK YOU!!
Old 02-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #424  
Workin' towards success!

S/C/G: 278/Ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Well that was a fun stay at 272.9, my weight has jumped up to 274 . Has anyone had this happen before? Could it be bloating or something? I'm not doing anything different I'm exercising for the regular time period I'm not going over my calories level . Just kinda depressing to see the numbers go up instead of down and I haven't done anything to make it so (I've been relatively good and conscience of my food decisions too).

Last edited by Jinxy; 02-23-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #425  
KakeJ

S/C/G: 295/195/175

Height: 5'91/2"

Just a bump in the road. Stay with it. You're going to get that a couple times. It's gonna be fine . watch the salt and salty foods. I love the avatar!

Last edited by kakeJ; 02-24-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #426  
Workin' towards success!

Thanks KakeJ, I just hope it goes back down again as fast as it went back up . It is nice to know that this is a normal thing to happen. Every time I've tried to lose weight I always wondered if it was.

Update: Just weighed myself and it's going down again 273.2 right now, hopefully it will continue this trend.

Last edited by Jinxy; 02-24-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #427  

S/C/G: 272.4/257.0/199

Height: 5'7"

ok ladies and gents! scale is STILL off limits so i have no idea what my weight is today, those darn scales kill me. ill tell you there is nothing more motivating and crushing than a scale!those darn numbers can make you queen of the world or put you on an eating binge for a month!
(i should be talking nice about my scale as i really wish it to give me good news when I finally trust myself to stand on it again)
I want to say welcome to Kellie105! The stories you read here are wonderful, the people are inviting and I will tell you one thing I love about this place? no one yet has said to me, "man, just shut up already!" (i like to talk/type)
jinxy - I have the same problem youre having, my body gets to a number and stops for a few days and then it will go UP when everything im doing says it should be going down! it is sooooo frustrating and again its the battle of the numbers. one thing I like to do is change things up a bit... Ill go one day adding like 200-300 calories to my diet, I workout an extra 5 to 10 minutes. then the next 2weeks I go back to normal. It tricks my body into thinking its at stage one again. make them good calories though! - maybe add in a protien shake or some extra veggies or fruits (not sure what kind of plan youre working on) this seems to work for me.
also a change in your regular isnt always a bad thing, I change my workout every few days, I just cant stand doing the same ole thing all the time. you can try youtube, there are TONS of videos on there to go by, or just look up some stuff on google. I used both of these options when i was pregnant for my twins and could no longer get out to walk.
I also read that marching is very good for all over body work out! I asked my man if he thought i would look funny marching 3 miles down main st here? he said not if I had a group of people behind me! hes so funny!
keep on track ladies! we are all working hard for a better healthier life!
Old 02-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #428  

I have come to the conclusion that I dislike most of the "diets" i find online. I was looking over a few tonight. My biggest problem as a "dieter" is I dislike so many foods that play a huge role in diets. I don't like milk products, I dont like fish or any seafood, I dislike many different types of veggies, many types of fruits, I dislike a lot of drinks, lets just save some time and say the list is very long. Then I think so myself Im SUCH a picky eater how in the .... did I get this big?! lol
So from what I have read today I am thinking I will just do my best to count count count, try my best to make each calorie come from a good source and not really follow any other kind of plan. I was thinking if I find a diet to go by that tells me exatly what to eat when to eat it, how to cook it ect then I can blame it not my scale if my numbers climb (which brings me to yet another thing! checked weight today and Im 268.4). Thats just not going to be an option i guess.
All things considered today was a good day, I spent some time with my momma, did over 45 minutes of a work out which is amazing! i started this trip barely making it through 10 mins. I will say I felt hungry much more often today and it seemed harder to meet my bodys needs or wants. That could be that i have been playing with some ideas to try and make things go at a faster rate.
Ever wonder, if it takes us 2 weeks to put on 10 lbs, why does it take us 3 months to get it off???
Well thats all I have for tonight, chin up ladies - together we shall all see ONEderland! If you get there before me, save me a seat??

Last edited by reena lee; 02-25-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #429  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Lin, I've been missing Mrs. T as well. I have no info...

But I still love connecting with everyone here. We just keep going!

Reena, being a picky eater will make it hard to make different food selections, but I don't think that's why you gained weight. I have always eaten very "healthfully" and I have to say that practically all the fat on my body was sourced from organic, grass-fed, wild-caught, holy, whole-grain, low-fat, health-fat, sugar-free sources. I just ate a LOT of them. And when I started eating a lot less of them, I started losing weight. Other health factors have contributed to the state of my girth, but basically, I ate my way here. I have come to learn that what affects my weight is how much I eat. What affect how I feel is the content of what I eat. And what affects how much I eat is the state of my emotions and the value I place on certain foods and feeling over making a wise decision to not feed those feelings.

I belong to another forum, the Venus Index. They support intermittent fasting. That doesn't mean I don't eat, it just means I've adjusted how I eat and am learning to cut back my portions. Their "diet" is more about the numbers behind cutting calories and losing weight. It is not about the value of achieving health through eating more veggies, cutting out sugar and drinking enough water, etc. Their philosophy goes something like this:

Let's say your ideal weight is 145 lbs (just pulling a number out of the air for that) and you are 5' 6" tall. In order to maintain that weight at that height, you need to eat about 1500 calories a day. That's your resting metabolic rate, RMR, which factors in that you live a sedentary life. So if you ate over 1500 calories a day, at that activity level, you gain some weight. If you ate less than that, you'd lose weight. That RMR number, that's the number you want to keep in your head, no matter how much you weigh.

If you added 50 lbs of fat to your body, it would take a lot of eating over that 1500 calories a day to get there and to maintain it. To lose that weight, you'd have to cut below the 1500 calories, according to the "diet", to start losing excess fat, not just below the amount of calories to maintain the higher weight. Because what really determines metabolism is not how much you weigh, but rather, how tall you are. (They site studies that support this.)

Exercise does increase how many calories you burn, but only because it's added activity, and really, it doesn't burn that many calories (unless you're like an Olympic athlete in training). Carrying fat only adds a limited metabolic load on you, something like 2 calories per pound per day. Adding muscle to your body does increase your metabolism, but again, not that much. Just running your body (breathing, thinking, pumping blood, etc.) is what's using up the 1500 calories every day.

According to this "Anything Goes Diet", you can eat anything you want, as long as you limit your calories, because this diet is only about losing fat. The other diet they promote, Eat Stop Eat, is more about calorie averaging and how to cut calories below that level that maintains your metabolism. It helped me because I don't really like to eat breakfast and eating breakfast never really did me any favors, but I still like a bigger meal later in the day. So I figured out that my RMR was around 1700 calories, and when I eat less than that, I actually lose weight. I concentrated on eating less than 1700 calories between 3 and 9 pm, when my body always seemed to get hungry, and when I cut calories down to 1200/day, my rate of weight loss really started moving.

Unfortunately, my appetite is my Achilies heel! So I cut calories as much as I can, when I can. It's been a much slower rate of loss for me, which is frustrating, but I'm moving in the right direction in general. The other stuff I do, the carb cutting and the exercise and eating really healthy veggies and the wild-caught fish and grass-fed meat, that's all about managing my health issues and my appetite. If I eat more than 50 gm of carbs a day, I want to eat A LOT more food, and it drives my blood sugar too high. I'm a type 2 diabetic and I have PCOS. Makes losing weight harder. I eat the veggies because I feel really energized when I get that nutrition in my body and then I am more inclined to exercise. And I do Pilates and weight training because they make me feel strong and I can move my body more easily. I don't do much high-intensity cardio. Don't like it at all! But I do some form of lower-intensity cardio every day.

And wow! Wish I got paid to write!!!! What was my point? Oh! Just sharing that you don't have eat perfect holy veggies and stuff like that to lose weight. But eating them does make you feel better. Maybe you could find some supplements that provide the nutrition you need.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #430  
Cosmetic Junkie

S/C/G: 265.8/265.7/199

Height: 5ft 4

Talking

Hello all,

I fancy a bit of a long rambling message as I am feeling sooo motivated right now.

I should of got on the scales first thing this morning but did not manage it so tomorrow I will jump on, after my workout and bath. Fingers crossed!!!! I am battling PCOS and thought I would never find a man being so fat and unattractive but last month I got married to a lovely man. He wants to have children soon, which is wonderful news to me, but before that happens two big things need to be acheived: we have to live in the same continent and I have to seriously shift some weight. I want to be a fit healthy mummy and the NHS have warned me I won't get any help via IVF unless I lose nearly 100lbs eeek!!! Being in the same continent might help with the baby making too

My short term goal is to be 199lbs by my birthday in mid-August. I really hope I make it with help from FitnessPal which counts my calories and my amazing FitBit keeping me active. I am quite keen to follow the principles of Paleo as I think my body responds well to this even though I find this a struggle. I adore my carbs and sugar far too much. Even though I stick to my calorie limit, today this was 49% from carbs, 40% from fat and 11% from protein. I think this needs some serious reworking.

Need an early night so I can work out early tomorrow before work. Hope the fairies come in the night and help themselves to any excess fat before I do my weigh in Have a good week everyone!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #431  

Once again you ladies are amazing! Id like say thank you so much for all the imput. Also I dont really follow a diet per-say.. I choose to eat foods that make me feel good. but looking at all the diets I have, I realize why no one can stick to em!
I too have PCOS. Let me just say, life would be easier without it. As far as having children? Ive had 3 miscarriages, but Ive also had 3 full term pregnancies. I have 4 beautiful, wonderful babies that I have been blessed with. I had my first child with no problem at all, we got married less than 2 months later i got a positive test. no problems the whole time, my biggest issue was I was a week over due. Any woman out there who has ever been even a day over due knows what kind of torture this is!
Then I had two miscarriages which lead me to a specilist who explained to me the works of PCOS and also told me being RH- with PCOS and a positive partner, chances of me having another child was VERY slim. However! less than 2 months of him giving me that news he was telling me I was pregnant with twins. Now mind you, I lost over 75lbs in under 4 months because the docs said this would up my chances for getting pregnant. Holding the pregnancy to term was the problem now. I was due on Jan 6th. On Dec 20th they actually had to go by c-section because my twins were getting too big and I was showing no signs of them coming on their own. They were 5lbs 9oz and 6lbs 2oz and completely healthy! I had another miscarriage after that. MY doc said no chance of more babies for me. Then I found out I was pregnant! lol it seems he was my good luck charm, everytime he told me i wouldnt have any more i got pregnant! but Im not going back to him because I dont really want anymore babies...
Just know that there is hope even with PCOS, its a long and scary road but its possible.
Today was a WONDERFUL DAY!! my man got a promotion, my scale went DOWN a full pound! and its the last day off from school for my kiddies. The sun was shining, the sky was blue - it was an amazing day. Life is great.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #432  
On the long, long road!

S/C/G: 267/265/150

Height: 5'5"

I started my journey right at the beginning of February, and I'm definitely seeing a difference in the scale...but I think I weigh myself too much. I've been trying to limit myself to the mornings, but when I get that urge to do it at night after a workout I try to compare it to other nights I've done it rather than my current weight. I usually wake up at about 246 and when I'm weak and weigh myself later in the day it's about 250ish. Praying for the day that my weaker moments still don't provide me with a number at the 250's anymore.

And I know it's only been a month and I'm doing all right so far, but this is my first ongoing attempt to lose weight that I haven't lost confidence in within a week or two. I can do this!
Old 02-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #433  
300lbs in avatar

S/C/G: 339/287/225

Height: 5'9

Hi Ladies!

I had really bad week last week but I've gotten back on track. I met my first goal of 30 lbs lost this morning! I'm hoping to be out of the 260's by March 5th. I don't really have an update lol I'm just rambling. Good luck ladies.

SW: 292
CW: 262 (-30)
GW: 199

30 lbs down, 63 lbs to go.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #434  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Reena,
Quote:
Today was a WONDERFUL DAY!! my man got a promotion, my scale went DOWN a full pound! and its the last day off from school for my kiddies
that last part was my FAVORITE part!!!

I just had the tastiest lunch...roast chicken and palak paneer. Mmmm! This morning's Pilates class felt...nourishing for my body. I feel good right now.

Oneshortday...you're doing fabulously! I try to just weigh in the mornings, but on days when I think I've done really well and I am bumping into giant cravings for all the wrong stuff, I weigh again to see if I've "earned" my cheat. As if I'm entitled to it! Ridiculous thinking on my part. Someday I'll get past that magical thinking that sabotages me.

Angel, cutting the carbs is really going to help with the PCOS. It's what works for me too, when something works. I managed to produce two sons, but it was after years of trying. This was before they really knew how to treat it. And now that I am quite done with producing children, no one really pays me any attention at the doctor's office. I'm going to a new endocrinologist in a couple weeks to talk about taking Metformin to help me with insulin resistance. Hoping it'll help the weight loss issues along. Best of luck with all your goals!

I've been far too caught up with tracking all my data (blood glucose, weight, carbs and calories, exercise minutes and weight lifting progression). I've been stressing over it for the last week and it gets off track. Life is NOT about the tracking! So I'm just going to work the actually plan and cut back on the tracking for now. I know what I'm supposed to do: eat clean, simple low-carb foods and not a lot of them, exercise daily for at least two hours, get plenty of sleep. And have some fun! I keep forgetting that last part.

Have a fun day!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #435  
Workin' towards success!

SW: 278
CW: 275.6
GW: 199

Warning VENTING: Grrrr .... so frustrated right now. I'm not doing anything different then before, I'm exercising almost everyday (today I had to take the day off exercising because I felt achy *my back* and tired) I'm not eating anything more or less, and I feel like I'm going backwards anyway.
Closed Thread