Old 03-24-2010, 08:12 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 270/238/175

Height: 5'9"

Rocknrobin U INSPIRE ME! You say that those words didn't sount right? THEY SPOKE TO ME! THANKYOU! THANKYOU! THANKYOU!

I am one of those people that have never been slim. I remember 4th grade being the "FAT GIRL". I am at 234 now. (at my very highest 395 a couple of years ago)

My energy has just been great so far. From what Im getting from you is its going to get better? I can't wrap my mind around that. I told my personal trainer yesterday that the only thing "wrong" in my life is this stupid weight.

I can honestly say, I feel like I have control now. I am feeling good so far. Now I am looking forward to the feeling GREAT!

THANKYOU all! Now off to the gym...
mmiller2829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:23 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 251/247/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I mean no offense, it's just that I want everyone to feel this feeling. Then they would know, that adhering to a healthy lifestyle is no work. but a joy and a blessing.
I think it all came out just right and this is exactly what I am trying to take away from the initial post. Because right now, in the middle of it, everything can still sometimes seem to be so much work but I need to remember that it isn't that the healthy lifestyle is so hard; it's that everything seems hard because of the obesity.
Amanda77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:22 AM   #33  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin
I mean no offense, it's just that I want everyone to feel this feeling. Then they would know, that adhering to a healthy lifestyle is no work. but a joy and a blessing.

No, it came out right and I understand what you mean and where you're coming from -- I drank the kool-aid too and I'm all over this way of life now, and I want others to experience it. I see 300lb woman in Wal-Mart and I want to hug her and say "come on over to my side" like a reformed smoker wanting everyone to quit because I say so!

My only worry, or caution I guess, is I've seen so many overweight (especially) women in my practice who 100% believe that every problem in life will be solved "when they're thin". Nothing in the world can suck when you're thin. That's just not true. I know Robin you and I have gone round and round on the "happiness" issue -- you don't agree with me i know LOL -- but I've seen it dozens of times in young adults and almost hundreds of times in adults, that happiness based solely on external factors like weight loss is a dangerous thing. Just like being miserable and unhappy are no way JUST because of being fat.

I think the main things we can all agree on, carrying around less tonnage is GOOD, consuming less resources on the planet is GOOD, living longer is GOOD, helping others make changes on their journey, maybe inspiring a person or two is GOOD!!! Everyone goes about it, heck, goes about life, in a different way, no one way to the finish line is the right one. I'm just glad I'm headed in the right direction at least!!

ps Kaplods I found your post awesome!

Last edited by Trazey34; 03-24-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:33 AM   #34  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post

I do miss the old me, who had little or no concern with my weight and health because I had more important things to do.
Oh my. I just saw this line highlighted in someone else's post. And it saddens me beyond belief. I can't possibly imagine what could be more important than ones health.

Taking care of ones health, of ones weight, is no frivolous luxury for goodness sake. It's not time spent being idle. It's not a horrible waste of time and energy. Just the opposite. It's not lying around getting massages and facials all day long, every day. It matters. It really, really matters.

What is it that say? "you've got nothing if you don't have your health" and "we don't value our health, until we've lost it".

rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #35  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

I love and appreciate everyone's posts! It's wonderful getting insight from people on different but similar journeys, who are at various stages of reaching their goals.

I still consider myself fat...but living my old lifestyle was harder because:

I had no energy. (Much more energetic now)
It was harder to walk quickly. (Not a problem now)
It was harder to climb stairs. (I can now climb a flight of stairs quickly and sometimes two flights without getting winded)
It was harder to find even slightly attractive clothes. (I hope to be in Misses sizes soon)
It was harder to breathe. (My asthma is getting better)
It was harder to sleep well. (I think my sleep apnea is getting better too)
It was harder to feel good about myself. (With exercise and eating healthy, I'm feeling better about myself - despite the scale not always cooperating)
It was harder keeping my blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar in check. (all of which are doing good now - still taking cholesterol meds, but for the first time in my life, my good cholesterol is above the normal/minimum - Thank you Zumba!)

And the best part is....I know that these things are going to get better as I get closer to goal! No, my life won't be 100% wonderful because I'll be at goal weight. Weight loss is not a panacea. It won't "fix" everything. It won't eliminate all my stressors. But I'll physically be able to enjoy a more active, fun life, and feel stronger and healthier.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #36  
To be fit and FLY....

Height: 5'6"

Not sure if this was covered..........but I LOVE rollercoasters/thrill rides.....

I can't wait to be able to go on them again - you know the ones that go upsidedown that have that attachment belt between the over the shoulder harnes and seat.

SOME DAY SOON!
Summerblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Trazey34, I get where you're coming from and agree wholeheartedly. I was happy when I was fat, and I'm happy now. I don't see myself being any more happy or less happy when I'm thin. I am so much more than my weight.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #38  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyBean View Post
I am so much more than my weight.
ouch!

We are all different.

I was 287 lbs at 5 foot nothing. At your height, 5'3", you'd have to be 316 lbs to have the same BMI that I did (56.0). So, I'm not sure that you've walked in my shoes.

I'm not so certain you would have felt the same way had you weighed 316 pounds!! I'm not sure how you could.

Well, I shouldn't say that. Yes, I'm more then my weight - but, ummm, my weight is me. If you're not physically able to do things, how can that not take away from your quality of life???

So of course, I'm more than my weight, but my weight pre-determines LOTS of things. I was handicapped by weight. Being super morbidly obese diminishes the quality of ones life. There is no way around that. Call me stubborn, call me obstinate, call me opinionated, call me wrong, call me unfair, call me whatever you want - but I refuse (yes refuse) to believe other wise. There I said it .
Old 03-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 440/193/170

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
I knew I was exhausted and miserable, that I knew. But what I didn't know is just how much energy a "regular weight" person could have!!!! I was shocked by that. I've said this dozens of times, I knew being slim would be marvelous, but I hadn't a clue it would be THIS marvelous and so all encompassing to each and every area of my life. Right down to cleaning the toilets, doing the laundry, going to the bank, the dentist, grocery shopping and then all of the good stuff.

I often think that we get so used to be so *uncomfortable*, always, always compensating (gosh, I HATED that compensating) that we think that this is the norm. That it's okay. And we get complacent. You forget how good it could be, or if you never knew, well even worse - because you never knew. I think people just truly don't know what they're missing. Because it really is beyond one's imagination. It's something you can't quite grasp until you've experienced it. Hindsight.
Quote:
I was 287 lbs at 5 foot nothing. At your height, 5'3", you'd have to be 316 lbs to have the same BMI that I did (56.0). So, I'm not sure that you've walked in my shoes.

I'm not so certain you would have felt the same way had you weighed 316 pounds!! I'm not sure how you could.

Well, I shouldn't say that. Yes, I'm more then my weight - but, ummm, my weight is me. If you're not physically able to do things, how can that not take away from your quality of life???

So of course, I'm more than my weight, but my weight pre-determines LOTS of things. I was handicapped by weight. Being super morbidly obese diminishes the quality of ones life. There is no way around that. Call me stubborn, call me obstinate, call me opinionated, call me wrong, call me unfair, call me whatever you want - but I refuse (yes refuse) to believe other wise. There I said it .
I agree with everything you have expressed, Robin. At 440 lbs and a BMI over 60, my weight directly interfered with my quality of life, in every way imaginable. Unfortunately, I have never known anything but obesity since childhood, so this did become normal for me. I did not think I could change my life in the way I did, and it is quite empowering after the fact to realize what I have done and am doing for myself. While I don't know *yet* what it is like to be of 'normal' weight, I am now overweight and no longer obese. Life is great and has changed so so so much that it overwhelms me at the very thought, and I cannot even imagine it getting any better from here. I am not saying that getting thin is going to be the secret to happiness, but I can say that I am happier and healthier than ever before. I have given myself life, and that feels amazing!
joannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 270/238/175

Height: 5'9"

I can say I wasn't happy when I was 395. Every little problem seemed much larger. (I feel) because of my weight. I wasn't happy with ME! I am happy with ME even at 234 but still push and strive and FIGHT sometimes to be just one more lb. smaller. It may sound snobby but YES I HAVE IT ALL! Great DH wonderful kids (all make straight A's and healthy) have enough money to keep the lights on and have some extra to play with. My only wish is that I would have gained this much control and happiness with ME before now. I have not weighed less than right now since prob. jr. high, so yes I'm excited to see what you "skinny" people are talking about.

I'm in aaaww that its going to get better THAN THIS!!!!? I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Last edited by mmiller2829; 03-24-2010 at 01:20 PM.
mmiller2829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #41  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
My only worry, or caution I guess, is I've seen so many overweight (especially) women in my practice who 100% believe that every problem in life will be solved "when they're thin". Nothing in the world can suck when you're thin. That's just not true. I know Robin you and I have gone round and round on the "happiness" issue -- you don't agree with me i know LOL -- but I've seen it dozens of times in young adults and almost hundreds of times in adults, that happiness based solely on external factors like weight loss is a dangerous thing. Just like being miserable and unhappy are no way JUST because of being fat.
I am 100% a person who is much happier with this fat off, however I do see your point. I don't measure all my happiness purely on weight issues, and you're right that things WILL come up, fat or thin, that we have to work through emotionally. It is dangerous to think all our problems will be solved if we lose the weight. Happiness should never be based on external factors.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #42  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I am 100% a person who is much happier with this fat off, however I do see your point. I don't measure all my happiness purely on weight issues, and you're right that things WILL come up, fat or thin, that we have to work through emotionally. It is dangerous to think all our problems will be solved if we lose the weight. Happiness should never be based on external factors.
I think I'll be happier with my weight when I'm thinner, but I think my general happiness will be the same. I'll still have all the stress of working full time as well as trying to raise a family and keep up the house.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:04 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
ouch!

But I don't know what I was at my highest weight, Robin. I was in denial for a long, LONG time, and it took a major amount of courage to step on the scale. My "high" weight is the first weight I took after having already made some major changes; my clothes were starting to get looser, but I figured that having the numbers in black and white would garner a bigger commitment. I may very well have been in the 300s.

If it wasn't so easy to be fat, not so many people would BE fat, right?
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #44  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyBean View Post
But I don't know what I was at my highest weight, Robin. I was in denial for a long, LONG time, and it took a major amount of courage to step on the scale. My "high" weight is the first weight I took after having already made some major changes; my clothes were starting to get looser, but I figured that having the numbers in black and white would garner a bigger commitment. I may very well have been in the 300s.

If it wasn't so easy to be fat, not so many people would BE fat, right?
So you're honestly saying, that it is EASIER to be fat than fit? Or it's just as easy?

Life isn't simpler for you? It's not easier for you to buy clothing? It's not easier for you to fit into spaces, tie your shoelaces, shave your legs, look in the mirror while naked? It's not easier for you to walk long distances? You haven't obtained more energy and stamina? You don't feel more confident? Did you not worry at all about your health and the added risks you were putting yourself at? You don't worry less about your health? You have not experienced any more joy due to the fact that you are slim? Not one thing is more enjoyable to you now, than prior? If it's no, it's no.

I don't think it's easy to be fat. Getting fat? Yes. Being fat? No. I bet if we took a poll the overwhelming majority would agree.

Wait a sec. If it was so easy for you being fat, why'd you take the weight off? If it was so easy being fat, why did you need courage to step on that scale?

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-24-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:51 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 294.4/204.4/170

What a great thread...I haven't always been overweight and have tasted the "skinny" side of life. I can say that weight gain does effect my self-esteem now. If it didn't I wouldn't want to change it...besides the health benefits. If it doesn't feel good in the end, why do it? I still think I'm just as beautiful today and love myself and I'm happy with myself on the inside. But the ability to get on planes, travel, feel comfortable in a swimsuit, roller coaster rides, etc...I could go on forever...those things haven't been in my life when all my friends and family enjoy them at a normal weight...I just wasn't comfortable. Things just don't "fit" anymore...my car seemed smaller...clothes got bigger...you feel like you ARE taking up too much space in the world! That's soo true! I think it's hard to imagine if you've never tasted the "normal weight" life...you don't know what you missing yet! I can't wait to get back to that weight...and have the inside match the outside.

Last edited by lookin2lose; 03-24-2010 at 02:56 PM.
lookin2lose is offline   Reply With Quote