Old 04-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #16  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for all the responses. This is not going to be easy for me, because I really REALLY love sugar. I could have eaten all the frosting off that entire cake and not thought twice. And I would have been sick as a dog. But I probably would have done it again.

No, this has to be a conscious choice to NOT knowingly put that in my mouth again. Even if I never have another taste of sugar, I know I will survive--even thrive.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:57 PM   #17  

Height: 5'4"

It's the combination of sugar, fat, & flour that gets me! Things like jelly beans and hard candies don't call to me at all. But leave me alone with a pound of chocolate buttercreams or a luscious cake and I'm in trouble! Realistically I know I will never be able to totally give those things up, but I also know from past experience that I can get control over it. I just need to get back to that place where my mind allows me to have just one small piece, include it in my plan for the day, and then retreat. Of course, if I take the whole thing home with me I'm dead!
Wynter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:01 PM   #18  

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynter View Post
It's the combination of sugar, fat, & flour that gets me! Things like jelly beans and hard candies don't call to me at all. But leave me alone with a pound of chocolate buttercreams or a luscious cake and I'm in trouble!
You and me both, sister.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #19  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
This is not going to be easy for me, because I really REALLY love sugar
Jen, I know it won't. Many things worth while aren't always so easy - in the beginning.

Don't forget though that EATING sugar is not easy for you either. Well, eating it is, but the consequences are EXTREMELY difficult. And dangerous.

It took me about 10 hard days. I stuck to my guns though no matter what. Not a lick or a taste. Because I made the decision to do so. Because I decided, like I said earlier, I could not have sugar in my life and have the type of life that I so desperately wanted - and deserved. I stuck it out and when those 10 days were over and done with - it became SO much easier. It was truly a miracle for me. I lost interest in the evil poison. It no longer had a hold on me. I found control. I went and got it. And my life has not been the same since - in a good way. In a very, very good way.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #20  
Serious Ju Ju!

S/C/G: 260/see ticker /175

Height: 5 10 ( I hate being taller than all the cute guys!!!)

I don't know if anyone here follows a low carb plan, but sugar is seen as a very addictive substance. It converts to fat in your body instantly. I was a huge sugar addict . . after 2 weeks of no sugar - meat, cheese, egg and certain veggies, I don't want it anymore. No more cravings and it's easy for me to pass by the sugar because I like how "clean" I feel now and I don't want to go back to the sugar coma.
I baked cookies for the kids the other day and had no desire to eat it because I know how bad it would make me feel and the path one lick of the spoon would bring me down.
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #21  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Hi. I'm Rhonda and I'm a HFCS and sugar-aholic.

I always hear people say that they can no longer stand the overly sweet taste of a real soda, a piece of birthday cake, a scoop of real ice cream. As much as I hate to say it, I have never reached that point. It doesn't matter how long I've abstained, just one taste and I'm in love again. Crazy in love. I go on a binge and just can't get enough. And, I get seriously depressed, fatigued, irritable...and, ultimately fat with tons of horrible visceral fat around my organs. HFCS and sugar make me miserable.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:22 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 280/256/234

Height: 5ft 2inches

I struggle with birthday and holiday sweets also. I am trying to help my family and friends celebrate with me in new ways. I love Robin's fruit idea. We are also looking to do more active things like go to the beach or on a hike where the icing on the cake would melt. A trip to the spa is a good girly treat with friends or even an evening in doing nails and eating spa food. Instead of cake what do you what them to bring you on your next birthday?
5aday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #23  
getting healthier!

S/C/G: 267/266/140's

Height: 5'7''

For those of you have cut sugar out of your diet.. Do you mean you just don't use sugar (like in coffee, tea, baking etc)... or you just don't eat ANYTHING with any type of sugar in it? Do you use artificial sweetners? Right now I can't even fathom cutting sugar out of my diet.. not that I eat a whole lot of it.. but it just seems to be in everything! lol just curious. Maybe it's something I should consider.
nik1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #24  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

WELL....I survived my first sugar free day. Not as many withdrawl symptoms as I thought I might have, which is good! I just have to stick to it. I have to remind myself every day that sugar is poison and will only keep me imprisoned in this body.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #25  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik1305 View Post
For those of you have cut sugar out of your diet.. Do you mean you just don't use sugar (like in coffee, tea, baking etc)... or you just don't eat ANYTHING with any type of sugar in it? Do you use artificial sweetners? Right now I can't even fathom cutting sugar out of my diet.. not that I eat a whole lot of it.. but it just seems to be in everything! lol just curious. Maybe it's something I should consider.
We're all different in the levels that we take it to. In the very early stages of my weight loss journey, I even kept fruit to a bare minimum. I did/still do eat lots of veggies though. And there is sugar in them. But the sugar in say, carrots doesn't affect me the same way a brownie does. Although I find sweet potatoes can send me off. Doesn't take much to do it.

Sugar IS in lots of things. That's why *most* of the foods that I eat, I make myself, this way I control what's in there - and what's NOT in there.

Anything with under 5 grams per serving is considered a low sugar product.

I also couldn't fathom cutting sugar out of my diet. Which is why I thought I was doomed forever. Now I can't imagine having in my diet, with the exception of those rare times when I do have it. Because now that I'm in maintenance I HAVE brought it back in on a once in a while basis and in very controlled circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen415 View Post
WELL....I survived my first sugar free day. Not as many withdrawl symptoms as I thought I might have, which is good! I just have to stick to it. I have to remind myself every day that sugar is poison and will only keep me imprisoned in this body.
Jen. This is GREAT!!!! One day under your belt. And yes - of course you have to stick to it. Stick to it. Stick to it. You keep on reminding yourself throughout the day, as many times as necessary. You'll get there. You'll get there.

I'm excited for you. SO excited, as I know this is going to transform your very life!!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #26  

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
That's awesome! Join us on the new Trigger Food Victory Lap thread
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:47 AM   #27  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik1305 View Post
My rules:

-- I don't eat white, refined sugar at all. Very occasionally now I'll have a small bite/taste of something that maybe my husband is having, but mostly that's just to remind myself that whatever it is, isn't that great. The only other exception is that rarely, I have a couple small squares of super-dark chocolate.

-- In baking I use a combination of sucralose (Splenda), dried fruit, fruit juice, molasses, honey, and agave syrup for the desired effect. But other than whole-wheat bread for my kids' lunches, I don't bake that often any more--couple of times per month.

-- When I want a sweet treat, most of the time I fix myself a cup of hot chocolate simply by using cocoa, agave syrup, and nonfat milk. Very occasionally I'll have no-sugar ice cream with fruit-only preserves on top.

-- In addition to limiting refined sugar, I must continue to be careful with fruit sugars. Fruit is capable of sending me into deeper hunger and cravings. And I LOVE fruit and hate to have to limit it, but I'd rather limit it than feel insane with hunger.

-- Yes, in our household we are very vigilant about buying products with no added sugar of any kind in them. I have taught my husband to read labels in order to look for sugar, and we stick to this principle like glue. He is utterly disgusted by how many products have some kind of sugar added to them. Best way to avoid added sugars, of course, is to use fewer processed products, which we do. (This is why I now make all the of the kids' sandwich bread--avoiding added sugars.)
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:30 PM   #28  
Happy Camper

S/C/G: 274/264/220 then re-eval

Height: 6'2"

I had trouble even reading this. I have sugar issues and the frosting you described is my downfall.
I can feel the tingly weird feeling in my jaw, just thinking about it.
Maybe for the future, tell your friends you do NOT want a cake or that you would really love angel food... it's so hard to make these changes.
Hang in there.
barefootnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #29  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
WELL....I survived my first sugar free day.
Yay!

BTW, if you do start to feel a little bit drug out or extremely fatigued, try eating some beans/peas/legumes. The extra fiber and protein will help alleviate your symptoms.

In the next few days, you are going to be amazed at how much more clear headed and energetic you will feel. I am excited for you!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:02 PM   #30  
getting healthier!

S/C/G: 267/266/140's

Height: 5'7''

thanks for all the info! It's definitely something to think about.
nik1305 is offline   Reply With Quote