Old 04-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #166  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think it's just still very hard to fully understand that there are many ways to do this, and the right way is anyway you can without risking your physical and emotional health.

We're human, and sometimes people take offense when someone's success is so different from our own. It may feel like we're being criticised, when we're not. "That wouldn't work for me," sometimes sounds a lot like "that doesn't work." This isn't true just for weight loss, but also when people talk about sex, marriage, career, families, pets, morality, politics, religion..... there are these same kinds of "debates."

I don't know that there's a solution, at least beyond what the mods already do - let the discussion (and even a bit of debate) continue as long as it doesn't turn mean.

Last edited by kaplods; 04-16-2009 at 02:42 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:43 PM   #167  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I totally didn't misunderstand your post me I was just putting out there for the world that though I can totally see that happening for SOME people that "fast track" the WRONG way (seriously cutting calories to dangerous levels etc) but that's not me (not that you said it was... lol!)
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:07 PM   #168  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

Oh, no; no implication of eating disorder or disorded habits should be applied to people simply because they completely and successfully commit to a completely different lifestyle.

My own hardcore tendencies just lie (mostly) dormant and a little ever-threatening, probably because of my perfectionist history during such formative ages as 12-22.

I think sliding into such things is not unlike sliding into overeating, though, for those who grew up with or otherwise grew used to taking bad habits for granted (edited to add -- and that must be all of us!)

Robin obviously hasn't reverted to her former lifestyle, though ... living the dream. "Why not me," indeed? I haven't purged in almost 8 years. I haven't binged in almost 8 months.

Last edited by WhitePicketFences; 04-16-2009 at 03:09 PM. Reason: caveat
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #169  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Just stick with it and you will do it...in time. Everyone loses differently and at different paces. If you put your mind to it, you can do anything. Instead of being jealous, try to look at other peoples success as an inspiration. I know it helps me. I don't have as much to lose as others but when I see that ANYONE has lost weight...even just a lb, I'm happy for them, and think..,.if they can do it, so can I!!!
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:40 PM   #170  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

People - I "cheat". I "cheat". Although I HATE that word, but for lack of another one - I used it.

While I was losing, welllllll - that WAS another story. But now that I'm in maintenance - You name it - I've had it. All right some things no (fast food, donuts, muffins, fried foods - nope, I think I may have even had that). I've had ice cream, cheesecake, cookies, cakes, pasta, pizza, bread - and waay too much of it at times and - hark - it wasn't even planned.

Yes, I've had those things - but they are a rarity. *I* personally don't find my plan too restrictive. I love what I'm eating on a daily basis and I DO have the occasional splurge. And besides after decades of having no boundaries, no food limits - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the fact that I am *particular* & *choosy* and that I finally HAVE some - restrictions -.

And Jen415,,how ironic, I think you just may have addressed and answered your very own original post when you first started this thread:

Quote:
Robin, I wonder if jealousy is the reason people feel like they have to stick their nose in your lifestyle. You have been extremely successful doing what works for YOU. Your way may be too restrictive for some folks. For others, it may be just what they need....

Either way.....everyone's journey is individual. Your mileage may vary and all that....
Can you see that?

Last edited by rockinrobin; 04-16-2009 at 03:41 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #171  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
People - I "cheat". I "cheat". Although I HATE that word, but for lack of another one - I used it.
Not sure if you prompted by my post as well as others ~ but I just want to add that I meant we all gained weight, or we wouldn't be here. But you're a loser* who hasn't backslid into regaining, which is inspirational in its own right.

*I know calling someone a Loser is a common compliment here, but it feels weird to type it out!
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #172  
Happy Camper

S/C/G: 274/264/220 then re-eval

Height: 6'2"

It seems people get defensive here easily and i imagine it's due to such hard work OR even slacking --- we have people (family, friends, co-workers) watching us struggle and losing (or not losing) and it gets VERY easy to feel picked on.
I don't want to see other people struggling to lose but when i DO see that it makes me feel more *ok*, like, well.. they are having a hard time but they are trucking on. Just as those that lose big and stay OP inspire me, those that struggle do also.
This thread was in my head when i went out to eat with a friend tonight (Mexican)... just made me realize there are so many ways to face it.
Splurge.
Eat OP.
Splurge a tiny bit.
Don't go.
And, for all of us, one of these might be the ONLY option. We are all vastly different but all so much the same.
barefootnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:19 PM   #173  
Lyndsey

S/C/G: 254/239/150

Height: 5'4

Wink A good diet for slow weight losers

Just wanting to share what i know with all of you. My name is Lyndsey Bowles and i have just started Medabolic Research Center. I dont know if you anyone of you have tried it or if any of you are even on it. But i will have you know that this diet (if you stick with it) willl take your pounds away even if you are a slow weight loser like me. IVE NEVER lost more than a pound a week... HAHA that sounds like a big joke and its sooo frusterating . But that is soon to change. Ive been on it for a week and have lost much over what i expected to. But this works. Ive seen it first hand, ITs amazing. This diet may be pricey but who wouldnt pay a millon dollars to look and feel amazing!!!!! i would pay as much as i could to FEEL GREAT ABOUT MYself. Thats all that i want is to feel great and look great and shop in the REAL CLOTHS and not lane and bryant or avenue lol anywhos if anyone on here wants any more info or support im glad to give it to you. PM me or send me your email. I would put mine on here but 3FC wont let me lol BYE Gals
BeBlissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:24 PM   #174  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBlissful View Post
This diet may be pricey but who wouldnt pay a millon dollars to look and feel amazing!!!!! i would pay as much as i could to FEEL GREAT ABOUT MYself. Thats all that i want is to feel great and look great and shop in the REAL CLOTHS and not lane and bryant or avenue lol anywhos if anyone on here wants any more info or support im glad to give it to you. PM me or send me your email. I would put mine on here but 3FC wont let me lol BYE Gals
So glad you've found something that is working for you.

Thing is most "diets" DO work - but STICKING with them is a definite requirement. No gimmicks, scams, pills, magic potions or doling out big money needed.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 04-16-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:37 PM   #175  
Lyndsey

S/C/G: 254/239/150

Height: 5'4

Talking The only thing diff

you are soo right buttt... lol going in the center to weigh in twice a week helps me with the support and it helps me know that if i eat that cake, my counsler is gonna know and she wont make me feel bad but she will let me know how to keep away from those kinds of foods or how to TAKE THE TEMPTATIONS!!!! oh there are sooo many of them. lol Also if i know that im going in to weigh in i wanna see results, the people at the center also help and encourage me and sooo far its been great,
BeBlissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:41 PM   #176  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Feeling defensive about your WOE is not exclusive to those taking a stricter approach. I don't count calories, and while I don't exactly espouse Intuitive Eating, I have adapted several of those concepts - and any time I post such, I can pretty much always expect posts to follow about how that just does NOT work for others. Cie la vie, I guess
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #177  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBlissful View Post
you are soo right buttt... lol going in the center to weigh in twice a week helps me with the support and it helps me know that if i eat that cake, my counsler is gonna know and she wont make me feel bad but she will let me know how to keep away from those kinds of foods or how to TAKE THE TEMPTATIONS!!!! oh there are sooo many of them. lol Also if i know that im going in to weigh in i wanna see results, the people at the center also help and encourage me and sooo far its been great,
Seeing a counselor twice a week - I can see where that would be greatly helpful. Accountability is a very useful element in weight loss. Wishing you continued success.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:23 AM   #178  
Geek and like it.

Location: i am neither greek nor athenian, but a citizen of the world.

Quote:
It may feel like we're being criticised, when we're not. "That wouldn't work for me," sometimes sounds a lot like "that doesn't work."
I know! It's so weird. Why is that? I mean, to take a non-emotionally charged example, I'm reading for my MA in literature and my friend studies physics. Obviously we are both suceeding in academia to some extent because, well, neither of us has been kicked out yet (touch wood ). I'm incapable of doing what he does on a weekly basis and even if I could I wouldn't because it would bore me to death and make me miserable. And vice versa. But we are totally supporting, encouraging of and impressed by each other. Why can't it be the same for weight management?!

Last edited by Me23; 04-17-2009 at 04:23 AM.
Me23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #179  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitePicketFences View Post
Not sure if you prompted by my post as well as others ~ but I just want to add that I meant we all gained weight, or we wouldn't be here. But you're a loser* who hasn't backslid into regaining, which is inspirational in its own right.

*I know calling someone a Loser is a common compliment here, but it feels weird to type it out!
Probably by what you and others have said as well. I didn't say it to "defend" myself per se', just that I think (for some reason) that I want folks to know that when I hit maintenance I did change things up a bit. AND that it all hasn't been peaches and cream. Well, definitely NO cream .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Feeling defensive about your WOE is not exclusive to those taking a stricter approach. I don't count calories, and while I don't exactly espouse Intuitive Eating, I have adapted several of those concepts - and any time I post such, I can pretty much always expect posts to follow about how that just does NOT work for others. Cie la vie, I guess

Julie, as far as the IE goes. Well, I think many of us folks who started out larger then you, like myself - at 287 lbs, IE is just so far off the face of the planet for us, that it's down right scary for us. I know for *me*, just the thought of it gets me all nervous, jittery and panicky. Honestly it gets me back to thinking of my out of control, morbidly obese days. Doing my best to word this without offending anyone - I really do think that people who have well over 100 lbs to lose ARE indeed in another "category" so to speak and therefore have different "issues" shall we say and unless you've walked in our shoes (though of course even THOSE shoes will vary person to person) - it's just a whole other ball game........

I think those that have found success feel the need to "defend" our own unique plans so much, because we soooo badly want someone else to benefit from it. Although of course we all know in the end the best plan for each and every individual is one that each and every individual devises for themselves. But again, it's that we so badly want to help others. It's a real push and pull. And a fine line, that we try to not cross over, but unfortunately - we do.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 04-17-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:50 AM   #180  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me23 View Post
I know! It's so weird. Why is that? I mean, to take a non-emotionally charged example, I'm reading for my MA in literature and my friend studies physics. Obviously we are both suceeding in academia to some extent because, well, neither of us has been kicked out yet (touch wood ). I'm incapable of doing what he does on a weekly basis and even if I could I wouldn't because it would bore me to death and make me miserable. And vice versa. But we are totally supporting, encouraging of and impressed by each other. Why can't it be the same for weight management?!
I think those of us with weight issues sometimes hear something totally different than what is said. (Hearing "that won't work" instead of "that won't work FOR ME").

I seriously wish I could "re-boot" my brain and clear out all my old thoughts and ideas about weight loss and start over....
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote