Old 03-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #16  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

yes I saw a TV special on it one time and the group who consumed more dairy calcium lost %25 more weight....

remember those milk commercials with the glass with an hourglass shape figure? lol
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #17  
Claiming Victory!

S/C/G: 283/273/245 1st

It's the protein. I eat cheese sticks in the day because sometimes I don't want to eat meat. I found some that have 60 calories and 6 grams of protein and I eat two of them. I also have added back eggs and I love milk. Not only does it keep me full but it makes me feel good and it IS good. I was lacking protein in my diet and I used to feel hungry alot and would be in danger of wrecking my diet but now I am full for hours and very grateful for my protein. I am not a huge meat eater; never was so eggs and cheese sticks help me out a lot.
LuvMyMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #18  
FB

That may be, LuvMyMr, but in my case I don't believe it was the protein factor. I eat some pretty serious amounts of protein every day and the yogurt didn't contribute much to it.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 283/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

Good to know guys. My doc also recommended I add more dairy as it would help me lose more. She said the low fat kind is best. I have trouble with this is the only dairly I like is ice cream lol. I HATE milk it makes me gag ( only consume it with cereal, and barely enough to get the cereal wet). I am not big on cheese either really. I dont like yogurt much either I dont like the slimy fruit found in most of it. I like fruit just not the slimy texture of the stuff in yogurt. I have found I do like the weight watchers brand yogurt its pretty good. I also try to eat the cheese sticks. She said they are really good for a snack. She also mentioned mixing the yougurt with ice and fresh or frozen berries to make a smoothie in the morning as a way to get more dairy in for anyone like me who isnt crazy about dairy products.
HeidiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #20  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

I'm glad I read this thread! Now, I don't like yogurt, so is there any advice as to how to tolerate it or any advice on good tasting yogurt?
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #21  
Recommitted: 12/29/2015

S/C/G: 310/ticker/155

Height: 5'6" | Age: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devsmama View Post
I'm glad I read this thread! Now, I don't like yogurt, so is there any advice as to how to tolerate it or any advice on good tasting yogurt?
I'm a huge fan of Activia's vanilla yogurt. It has the added benefit of normalizing GI tract functions, too.
Enduring Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #22  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devsmama View Post
I like the Danon Light and Fit yogurt. Liked it better before they changed it a couple of months ago, but I got used to it and like it very much. I eat it partially frozen, lasts longer, tastes ice cream-ish. I add 1/4 cup of Fiber One cereal to it for a nice little crunch (kind of like granola) and more filling power.

If you find you just don't like a particular food that is "diet" friendly, don't be concerned. There's tons of foods that can help get you to your goal. Expermient and look around. It's essential to find foods that you love so that you can STICK to your plan. That is the key to losing weight. STAYING on plan. Stay within your calorie budget. STICK to those calories - and the weight will come off.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 331 highest 308/see ticker/185

all very interesting huh? some ideas about yogurt for me that slimey fruit on the bottom os nasty too. but most do not have them any more. yoplait is my fav but lots os sugar.
keep in mind a lot of the low fat or fat free stuff is loaded with sugar and othwer chemicals to replace the creamynes of the fat. like fat free half and half...really? talk about an oxymoron
ok...typing on phone and my thumbs are getting tired!
Redflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #24  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

Thanks everyone. Tomorrow is my grocery day so I will get a yogurt or 2 and try them. I do like milk, so that's not a problem, except maybe the fact that I only like 2% milk. I had been afraid to drink milk on my plan so I have been staying away from it, but after reading this, I'm going to try to tweak my diet so that I am still within my calorie range (just like you guys said) but adding different things. I am learning so much from this site it is amazing. This is the first REAL effort I had ever put into losing weight. I am trying very hard and I am committed, so weight loss will happen for me. Thanks again.
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:19 AM   #25  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I agree with you, Devsmama, it's the learning here that is making this weightloss journey interesting and not - so far - a chore! I'm developing a fascination for the inner workings of my body; I hope in the future to develp a fascination for the outer appearance too!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #26  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I wish I could give up dairy products. The poor cows suffer so much on dairy farms. BUt............I cant let go of yogurt, and cheese. Maybe I can in the future. And actually they help me lose weight cause the yogurt has lots of protein (as mentioned above), are low fat, and low carb (the kind i get is). And if I cant have cheese, I feel really deprived. Glad dairy works for you.....
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #27  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for the reminder, MugCDI. Back to the soy for me.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #28  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
If you find you just don't like a particular food that is "diet" friendly, don't be concerned. There's tons of foods that can help get you to your goal. Expermient and look around. It's essential to find foods that you love so that you can STICK to your plan. That is the key to losing weight. STAYING on plan. Stay within your calorie budget. STICK to those calories - and the weight will come off.
Couldn't've said it better myself!! I always find it a little frustrating when people on here discuss methods of forcing down foods that they don't actually like, just because of the perceived "benefits" of them. IMO, if you don't like a certain food - no matter how amazingly healthy it may be - there will always be other foods that can give you the same benefits, but that you can actually eat without feeling like you're torturing yourself! It's not about identifying the *magical* foods that "make" you lose weight, and then looking for ways to make those foods more palatable... I think that will only make you resent them more! I mean, sure, broccoli is a great source of vitamin C, but if you think it's the most disgusting thing on the planet, you can just eat an orange instead. Case in point: while I don't necessarily think all the buzz about dairy is total BS, I'm actually in the process of going vegan and have already eliminated essentially all dairy products from my diet, and it hasn't stalled my losses one bit! So yes, some people might find that adding in extra dairy is helpful, but that does not at ALL mean that weight loss is impossible without it. Find what works best for you!

Last edited by Star2Be; 03-22-2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Punctuation error!
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #29  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star2Be View Post
Couldn't've said it better myself!! I always find it a little frustrating when people on here discuss methods of forcing down foods that they don't actually like, just because of the perceived "benefits" of them. IMO, if you don't like a certain food - no matter how amazingly healthy it may be - there will always be other foods that can give you the same benefits, but that you can actually eat without feeling like you're torturing yourself! It's not about identifying the *magical* foods that "make" you lose weight, and then looking for ways to make those foods more palatable... I think that will only make you resent them more! I mean, sure, broccoli is a great source of vitamin C, but if you think it's the most disgusting thing on the planet, you can just eat an orange instead. Case in point: while I don't necessarily think all the buzz about dairy is total BS, I'm actually in the process of going vegan and have already eliminated essentially all dairy products from my diet, and it hasn't stalled my losses one bit! So yes, some people might find that adding in extra dairy is helpful, but that does not at ALL mean that weight loss is impossible without it. Find what works best for you!

And *I* couldn't of said it better myself. Really. That's exactly my take on it. Much more important to find foods that you enjoy. When "on plan" is enjoyable, there's no reason to go "off plan". Or at least LESS of a reason. Because let's face it, it's hard enough staying on plan with foods that you love, if you don't, I just don't see how continuous, sustainable, longterm, successful weight loss can occur.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:40 PM   #30  

The dairy connecting is interesting, but..., I find the study incomplete and biased.
Dairy doesn't have a lot of 'naturally' occuring calcium, it is a fortified food.
The study would have been more interesting if they included a group eating higher then normal quantities of dairy (unfortified with calcium) alongside another group eating a diet 'naturally' high is calcium such as kale; poached salmon (w/soft bones), etc.

For me, the study doesn't effectivly isolate the dairy as the cause for weight loss.

As said before, be true to yourself and eat foods that you like and feel good about eating.

Any study/experiment/thesis can be overfit with data to lead to any conclusion desired by the people creating the study.
thisisnotatest is offline   Reply With Quote