Old 03-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #1  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 280/272/160

Height: 5'8"

Thumbs up What is helping me so far...

Post the things that are helping your get and keep motivated, and other helpful advice.

1. I stopped making seperate meals for everyone in the house, you like it great, otherwise you can make yourself a sandwich.

2. I have my computer set up in front of the treadmill, so I can watch a movie or my favorite tv show while I walk.

3. I keep my water in the back of the fridge where it's coldest. For some reason it's easier for me to drink when it's super cold.

4. I drink 4 oz of water at least every two hours. If I want a cup of coffee, I have to drink 4 oz beforehand. I'm not "used" to drinking water so I have to make it a game to ensure I get my requirement in.

5. I buy bagged salad and prepared celery and carrots at the store so I have a ready made snack and no excuses.

6. 100 calorie snack packs or 60 calorie pudding cups for the sweet tooth. I also found pudding cups with added probiotics (stuff in yogurt) so I'm getting something good along with it.
Iheartsushi418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

All great ideas!

Personally, I really MUST employ number one. May I ask at what age child do you think this is appropriate for..I am wondering if mine are too young..although they both know how to make a sandwich!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #3  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 280/272/160

Height: 5'8"

The oldest child is 41 and the biggest issue and pickiest eater (my husband). My son is 3, so technically he can not make his own sandwich, but what I make he can eat. He usually eats his dinner at one of his grandmother's homes because of our work schedule. He is with them for dinner. But breakfast and lunch he eats what I do. It's best to start them young.

For kids though, I would say around 5-7 years old. If they know how to make a sandwich you can employ it. Trust me, after they eat enough sandwiches, they will come around to the idea of at least trying something before turning their nose up at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
All great ideas!

Personally, I really MUST employ number one. May I ask at what age child do you think this is appropriate for..I am wondering if mine are too young..although they both know how to make a sandwich!
Iheartsushi418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:41 PM   #4  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I like #1 on yours because it's first on my list too! My kids are 7, 4, and 2 (not counting the 30yo lol) I don't really put that option out there but if I find they just don't like something enough to swallow it then it's a sandwich for them. If they can manage to choke it down () then we all eat the same thing, I am not a short order cook.

#2 Staying active. This is vital to my overall well being...it helps me cope with stress among other things I exercise for at least 60 mins a day and just upped it to 6 days a week now that I'm not embarrassed to run when my DH is home!

#3 My Camelbak water bottle....this thing goes with me everywhere and is always filled with cold water.

#4 I keep 100 cal ziploc baggies full of low point snacks so I can grab and go

#5 If I go out to eat I always carry my own FF salad dressing

#6 Planning meals....I plan my meals out a week in advance with the help of my DH and I go shopping off the list only (eating before you go to the grocery helps!).

That's all I can think of right now. I just jumped on here to check my email and I made the mistake on clicking on the 3FC link on my tool bar lol!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #5  
Meow

Okay when I first read your comment. I literally thought you meant your child was 41. I was like HOLY CRAP!!! you look so good for your age.. rofl, I think I woke up to early
kalikat003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 280-->150

Height: 5'7"

1. My Ipod. Bless the makers of mp3's. I wouldn't exercise without it!

2. Cooking. No, I'm serious. Before this diet, I was strictly a junkfood/restaurant/microwavable person. The only cookware I owned were a small pot and a skillet. Now I've added a crockpot and some cassarole dishes, and I've been experimenting with recipes gleaned off the net.

3. Spices. As soon as I had to cut out butter and fat, I went looking for other "flavors" that I liked. I knew I wouldn't be able to survive bland food for long. I soon discovered that I find garlic powder very, very desirable. So instead of fried chicken, baked garlic chicken. Tasty! I'm currently testing out other spices to see if I like any of them. Hey, tons of flavor and no fat? Sign me up!
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 280/233/150

Height: 5'7

kailikat, me too! I was thinking wow that cant be, she looks good. lol but then i got it.

1. i actually have started this #1, i don't have any kids, i live with my mom and since i started cooking (we aways ate out) she makes it so difficult. I always asked her what do you want here are your choices, and she was like never happy. so now i make something and she eats it. lol no choice. i would do this with ANY person or kiddo that you live with.

2. i started cooking! i cooked maybe oncea week before and now pretty much everyday i cook. i love it.

3. I bought a wave, the only thing i ever bought from an infomercial..and again, i love it. im finally losing inches.

4. unsweetend iced tea please! i buy cold brew and lemons and thats what i drink instead of my love soda.

Naughtymonkey01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #8  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

All good responses! RomanceDiva, it never occurred to me to take my own salad dressing. That's a great idea!

Let me echo the not making separate meals, but let me add a little to it. I have a 14 year old and a 12 year old. They have to eat what I put in front of them. I don't give them the option of making a sandwich mainly because they need to learn to eat all kinds of foods and not be so picky!! Now, for younger kids, you may need to offer the option, but I never have once they were old enough to feed themselves.

The other thing that has just recently kicked in for me (only in the past 3 weeks) is that I am putting myself first when it comes to exercise. In the past I have always been derailed because of what everyone else needed. While I do have to exercise in the morning (or it won't happen), I have allowed myself the luxury of a gym membership so that I don't have to try to work out at home with all of the distractions.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

1. Yours kind of applies to me, my sons are 7,4,2. They eat what we eat for the most part. We usually have 3 course meals if they eat two out of 3 that ain't bad but we dont' give the sandwich option usually unless they absolutley hate what I've made.

2. Wearing my pedometer and ipod. They keep me moving.

3. Meal planning, I'm only doing 3 dinnera week so far but I'll get more as I feel more confident about my choices.

4. My water bottle goes everywhere with me. I'm weaning off pop and hot chocolate and drinking green tea at work now. it's funny I don't usually drink anything hot at home.

5. Weighing myself everyday, it's not obsession more habit these days just to see that I'm seeing results or need to make changes.

6. Bringing apples or carrots into work with me to snack on throughout the day instead of running to the store for a sweet something.

7. Coming here everyday! keeps me on track and my focus on the prize! A healthy me!

Well that's all I can think of right now.

Last edited by SnowboundChick; 03-19-2009 at 01:50 PM.
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:21 PM   #10  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

1. I make everyone the same meal too. Eat it or make yourself something different!
2. I bought a 1 L water bottle and refill it three times.
3. I HATE plain water so I add an decaf flavoured tea bag (mint, lemon etc) so my water. It gives it a yummy taste!
4. I plan all of my meals the night in advance
5. I carry snacks with me where ever I go

Good post!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #11  
Keep on going!

S/C/G: 278.3/see ticker/135

Height: 5'5

great topic to have ^^

whats been helping me so far..

eating small amounts all day compared to bigger meals, big help .. like maybe every 3 hours
a lot of protein, seems to make a big difference this time around
taking apple cidar vinegar pills
doin fun exercise is making a difference for me .. im not one to exercise at all lol
definitely spices & lower cal sauces is a must
herbal teas
alot of water
sugar free sparkling flavoured water.. really helps when im feeling like something sweet
no eating past 7
alsten02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #12  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Wow, I am getting a lot of great ideas from you guys --- nice thread, IHeartSushi!

1. I have 2 water bottles and one is in the freezer while I drink the second --- I like my water just partially frozen.

2. My son gifted me with his old Ipod shuffle and this makes a huge difference in how hard I work out and even IF I work out.

3. I have noticed a very strong trend that if I do the treadmill thing in the morning and get outside for a little while --- not even necessarily exercising --- I am 100% more likely to resist temptation for the rest of the day. And my mood is noticeably better! (And the cardio probably isn't hurting me, either. )

4. I try to do little things during the day that I enjoy --- go out on the deck and blow bubbles, crank up the music on this computer and "dance" in the kitchen, play a stupid card game with my kid after school, just constant little "me" moments that give me a lift without food.

5. When we eat out (which we are doing a lot less lately), I try to steer us toward places that have an on-line menu, so I can decide ahead of time what I would order. The calorie content of a lot of food are on line.

6. I journal what I am eating with an on-line journal that (generally) figures out the calorie count and tells me what % is fat or protein or carbs. This is a major new tool for me --- I didn't really have a clue how many calories were in the foods I ate. This and the 100+ forum are probably the 2 most important parts of my daily routine (although the exercise is right up there, too.)
Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #13  
Keep on going!

S/C/G: 278.3/see ticker/135

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numina View Post

3. I have noticed a very strong trend that if I do the treadmill thing in the morning and get outside for a little while --- not even necessarily exercising --- I am 100% more likely to resist temptation for the rest of the day. And my mood is noticeably better! (And the cardio probably isn't hurting me, either. )
I completely agree there.. if I get it out of the way in the mornings.. Ill feel better , motivates me to do good rest of day & sometimes motivates me to do more exercise later
alsten02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #14  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Great Thread!!
  1. Packing my lunch the night before. And I only eat what I bring.

2. I plan & shop for 2 weeks of meals. There is no "spur of the moment eating" What's for dinner? Look on the list. Seriously prevents eating out

3. My Bodybugg. I know when my activity isn't up to what it needs to be!

4. Coming Here. Keeps me mindful of what I am doing

5. Eating foods I like.

6. Only making changes I can live with for the rest of my life

Last edited by Sandi; 03-19-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Only one thing is helping me.. well maybe more.. but only one I can really think of, I've started cooking and freezing things! I always have a meal ready, or a portion on a meal, which I can add a salad to really easy. I tend to buy the salad when I'm at work if I don't have the time to actually to make a lunch. Which is working out to be very often in the past couple of days, so it's working very well

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote