Old 02-09-2009, 11:17 PM   #16  
JML
Success Story!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome back! It's good to be back. I've come home from work, had dinner and am now in that dangerous time -- the time before bedtime. I'll be up a few more hours yet. I've had a good dinner -- so I just have to get through my evening. I was good yesterday too. If I can be good this evening, I'll have 2 good days under my belt.

Hi Bunny43. We're close by. I'm in Bedford. I was just noticing today how the sun is much stronger. The sunlight seems like spring sunlight. Spring can't be far behind.

Hi Sandi, Jennelle. It's good to be back in touch!

Iminhere - thanks for the tip on anodized aluminum. It's interesting that the anodizing process would produce a nonstick surface. However, we're trying to avoid aluminum too. I appreciate the tip though. The pans are expensive -- but so far my experience is that good pans ARE expensive. I have a couple of good stainless steel pans. They heat super evenly and I'm glad to have them. I'm ok with using stainless and cast iron, I just have to watch portions.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!
JML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:13 AM   #17  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Welcome back
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:02 AM   #18  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Hi Jeanne,

I can say ditto to almost everthing you said. Right down to the cheese thing. My significant other eats it every single day, usually multiple times. And I find it so annoying that he has been within 5 pounds of the same weight his entire adult life (BMI 24-25) with no effort on his part. Talk about unfair. I want to kick and scream about it but it won't do me any good.

While I haven't had the weight loss success you have (losing and maintaining the weight you have puts you in a very elite group Congrats!!!) I have been able to maintain and lose about 25 pounds since we first started living together after an initial gain of about 7-10 pounds.

The thing that helped me the most was meeting with a nutritionist somewhat regularily who talked to me amd problem solved around the issue of "couple drift". Apparently this is something that is pretty common among clients. Where one half of a couple starts to drift towards the eating habits of the other. His suggestions were really helpful and I was able over time to reverse the trend. My SO other even thaks me now for his drift towards healthier eating.

Best wishes. I know you can handle this and appreciate your being here. You are truly and inspiration.

DCM
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #19  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

JML - I only use stainless steel, cast iron or enamel coated cast iron.

I recommend Fagor Pressure Cookers. I have a set that has a smaller pan and a larger pan with 2 lids, 1 a pressure cooker lid and a regular glass lid so you don't have to use the pressure cooker lid.

I recommend Le Creuset items. They are $$ but you can get some of their stuff from Costco. There are some other similar products. I've heard Lodge and also the Le Creuset like brand at Target are pretty good.

I also have a Cuisanart stainless steel set although honestly I use my Le Creuset items or my Fagor pressure cooker stuff more often.

Despite using no/limited oil, I've never really had an issue with sticking.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #20  
JML
Success Story!!!

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions and encouragement and inspiration!!
JML is offline   Reply With Quote