ranch in Vale, S.D. The steer, in fact, belonged to
me. I'd purchased him as an 8-month-old calf from the
Blair brothers, Ed and Rich, for $598. I was paying
Poky Feeders $1.60 a day for his room, board and meds
and hoped to sell him at a profit after he was
fattened.

My interest in the steer was not strictly financial,
however, or even gustatory, though I plan to retrieve
some steaks from the Kansas packing plant where No.
534, as he is known, has an appointment with the
stunner in June. No, my primary interest in this
animal was educational. I wanted to find out how a
modern, industrial steak is produced in America these
days, from insemination to slaughter.

Eating meat, something I have always enjoyed doing,
has become problematic in recent years. Though beef
consumption spiked upward during the flush 90's, the
longer-term trend is down, and many people will tell
you they no longer eat the stuff. Inevitably they'll
bring up mad-cow disease (and the accompanying
revelation that industrial agriculture has transformed
these ruminants into carnivores -- indeed, into
cannibals). They might mention their concerns about E.
coli contamination or antibiotics in the feed. Then
there are the many environmental problems, like
groundwater pollution, associated with ''Concentrated
Animal Feeding Operations.'' (The word ''farm'' no
longer applies.) And of course there are questions of
animal welfare. How are we treating the animals we eat
while they're alive, and then how humanely are we
''dispatching'' them, to borrow an industry euphemism?

Meat-eating has always been a messy business, shadowed
by the shame of killing and, since Upton Sinclair's
writing of ''The Jungle,'' by questions about what
we're really eating when we eat meat. Forgetting, or
willed ignorance, is the preferred strategy of many
beef eaters, a strategy abetted by the industry. (What
grocery-store item is more silent about its origins
than a shrink-wrapped steak?) Yet I recently began to
feel that ignorance was no longer tenable. If I was
going to continue to eat red meat, then I owed it to
myself, as well as to the animals, to take more
responsibility for the invisible but crucial
transaction between ourselves and the animals we eat.
I'd try to own it, in other words.

So this is the biography of my cow.

link to the rest:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/31/magazine/31BEEF.html

Old 03-30-2002, 09:16 PM   #2  
diamondgeog

Default This is a powerful article I urge you to look at

I was uneasy about beef eating before this article and it might just give me the push to lower my beef eating and meat eating substaintaily. I am probably not ready to become vegetarian but I can't justify my current meat eating much longer on many grounds; environmental, health, ethical, etc.

Old 03-30-2002, 10:41 PM   #3  
hot mom wanna be!

Default Maybe this will open some eyes!

I am a vegetarian and I think it's great that you want to show others what really happens before they eat those hamburgers (or chicken nuggets, etc..) I dont eat any meat (including fish. I dont drink cows milk (I do have soy milk with my morning cereal--my one big downfall?? Cheese. I havent been able to kick that habit yet. But I figure just doing what I am has to help the animals some. So why am I so overweight?? I dont exercise and I still eat junk food too much like candy, cookies etc...
I dont want to list all the facts about how much water is used for grain to feed the animals which could be used to feed people instead, or the water used for the grain to feed the animals, how inhumanely they are treated etc... because it tends to turn people off but there are some good books I can reccomend if anyone is interested:
1-Fast Food Nation-its been on the best seller list for a while now. Its a whole behind the scenes book about how the animals are treated to get the meat, the people who work the slaughterhouses, all the way to those who work in these fast food resturants. Its very interesting and disturbing at the same time.
2-The Complete Idiots Guide to Being Vegetarian-Gives lots of info and facts without being preachy.

great topic!!
Lorelei
Old 03-30-2002, 10:54 PM   #4  
It's been so long...

S/C/G: 375.2/377/177

Height: 6'

OMG Lorelei, I'm vegan, well, I try to be, but sometimes the cheese pizza calls my name...Fast Food Nation, I could not put it down, I need to read it again, kill of any lingering cravings... people are amazed when I tell them I've been vegan for a year now... but what they don't realize is all vegan food isn't low cal...lol, so hubby and I this week went shopping for whole foods, beans, veggies, grains, falafels (gonna make em in the broiler instead of frying them...) instead of the highly procesed foods we'd been counting on lately to fill our bellies, and we didn't get any junk food, not one little bit :-) Everyone reccomends "Diet for a new planet" but I never got around to it...fast food nation was enough for me... I hate being preachy too, and when I talk to people about veganism, I tend to stay away so much from the animals, and stick to health issues, like milk and the problems it can cause, so on... blah blah...get me going, and I'll go all night... OK, I'm done, just wanted to jump in and agree that it's a great topic
Old 03-31-2002, 01:03 PM   #5  
hot mom wanna be!

Default Hey PNG!

I am glad I am not the only veg who wants to lose weight. When I read that veg's are usually slim because of their diet I feel like I am doing something wrong! I know my problem is definately snacks (esp. sweets) I like falafel too! I also like hummus and veggie sausage patties, the only thing I dont care for too much is tofu. Do you like it?.. and what do you do with it if you do?
I hope we can convince others to check out Fast Food Nation! I couldnt hardly put it down when I read it.

Happy Easter!!
lorelei
Old 03-31-2002, 01:33 PM   #6  
It's been so long...

I love, love, LOVE tofu :-D my two favorite ways to cook it is to take fresh water packed tofu, cut it into like stick shapes, and dredge it in flour, and sizzle it on all sides, and serve with oriental dipping sauces, or cut it into cubes and dry fry on all sides and throw it in a stir fry...also, if you freeze tofu for a couple days, then squeeze all the water out of it, and crumble it, dry fry it, or fry with a lil bit of canola or olive oil...and add bbq sauce, you get kick butt sloppy joes :-) if you ever need recipes, or a good veg-minded chat, check out http://www.vegweb.com it's a really good site, thousands of user recipes, including about 10 of mine :-D My mom in law is having Veg food for Easter, isn't that too cool?? She's having us over, and hubby is going to throw together some veggie food for everyone :-) Happy Easter!
Old 03-31-2002, 06:27 PM   #7  

We raise our own beef and the food to feed them. So I know where my beef comes from. My dad's friend also raises the hogs. So I know where my pork comes from. I don't think I'd eat much of it if I had to get it at the grocery.

Carol
Old 04-03-2002, 08:48 AM   #8  
hot mom wanna be!

PNG-Thanks so much for the suggestions. I havent tried it stir fried or as sloppy joes before-it sounds good! I've only tried it as "eggs" before as in fake egg salad sandwiches (didnt turn out so great) and then I bought some tofu scrambler mix to make "scrambled eggs". That was ok. I guess I just have to get used to it. Also thanks for mentioning the website, I will check it out!

Has anyone else tried the BK Veggie?? I hear that BK is gonna keep it permanently on the menu. Yeah! I hope the other chains follow in their footsteps soon.

lorelei
Old 04-03-2002, 09:20 AM   #9  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I didn't finish reading the article because I didn't want the bother of registering for the NY Times but I have a good idea where it is going.

What bothers me most about eating meat is: not knowing for sure where the meat came from ie. if the animals were fed with grain or given meat as well, if they were killed humanely (I know some will say that no kind of slaughter is human so don't jump all over me about it), if the place is clean and sanitary. There have been a few stories in the newspaper here about farms that slaughter their own animals without inspectors etc etc. So the meat is bought by restaurants and stores etc and who knows what kind of conditions the place is in. I've read some really gross conditions they have found these slaughterhouses in.
Old 04-03-2002, 04:44 PM   #10  
It's been so long...

lorelei... since you mentioned tofu scrambler.... here's an idea, use extra firm tofu, chop it really small, and mix with the scrambler, toss in some mushrooms and onions, garlic, and cuminand start it cooking.... then crumble some Gimme Lean sausage in another skillet, and fry with just a smidge of oil, and throw it all in tortillas, top with some chipolte (sp?) salsa, healthy, goody breakfast And lastr night for our tofu dinner, we have tofu usually once a week... I marinated tofu slices in water, soy sauce, browning sauce, garlic, cumin, and mexican oregano, fried it, tossed it in a gordita tortilla, put some heated fiesta veggies (bagged frozen) on top, and topped it all off with salsa and chopped avocado (avocado is high cal, but an excellent source of fatty acids that we miss out on by not eating meat) Hubby about fell over after tasting the best rule for tofu is never....EVER eat it plain (blech!)

Jen, I for one would never bash you for trying to find humane (as possible) meats... I try not to be a vega****... you can try looking at your locall health food store for humane label meats, they are supposed to be doing a new standard of meat for people who still eat meat, but want to be sure that everything was done correctly, it's supposed to be labeled and on the grocers shelves within the year
Old 04-03-2002, 05:02 PM   #11  
hot mom wanna be!

PNG-Vegi ****!! too funny girl!
Thanks for even more suggestions! I have tried that Gimme Lean "sausage" before when I made some "sausage" balls at Christmas. People loved them and didnt even know they werent real sausage balls. I just tweaked the Jimmy Dean sausage recipe. I had to add some oil to it to give it some stickiness like real sausage has, so it wasnt exaclty low cal!!

Jen-If you read Fast Food Nation you would be floored. It is now in paperback (I saw it in the book section at Target today).
It tells you what really happens in the slaugherhouses that give meat to the fast food industry. How these people are treated who work in these slaughterhouses (what they have to deal with, etc..) It would blow your mind. It goes from that to other topics with fast food in general. It has been on the best seller list for some time, it could be still I dont really know.

great topic!
lorelei a.k.a.
shrinking veg girl!!
Closed Thread