Old 03-20-2008, 10:29 PM   #16  
Made of Starstuff

Depends... I tell my fiancée exactly what I weigh. I was talking with a close friend and a neighbor of hers and I told them exactly. (They were surprised... though I don't know if it's because I told them, or if it's because I don't look like I weigh 250.) I feel about it pretty much how Soul does. It's just a number. Like age... and I don't know why people hate their ages so much... I have a friend who is terrified of turning 40 and I just don't get it. I hope I never do...
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:33 PM   #17  
Skinny cow in the making!

S/C/G: 193/149/126

Height: 5'4

I never tell anyone my weight.
I tell them how much I've lost and what my clothes size is but never the weight number. I'm not sure why though!
Not even my mom knows my weight.

Last edited by Jadeybaby; 03-20-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Jadeybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:01 PM   #18  

Height: 5'10"

I don't share my weight unless I'm fairly sure the person I'm talking to weights close to what I do! I don't know why, it's not like people don't already know I'm heavy. Actually, subconciously I don't think they do. I remember being in a WW meeting several years ago and we had the door open because it was hot. A young couple from my church walked past the door on their way to another building. They waved and I immediately thought, "Oh no, now they know I'm fat!" I seriously did. It's like I think if I don't talk about it, people won't know. My roommate weighs a bit more than I do (I weigh 325), and she talks about it like it's nothing. She doesn't share her weight, but she'll mention to someone that she can't fit in the booth at a certain restaurant or soemthing like that and it just mortifies me. I think part of me feels like she does it to make people feel sorry for her. She hurt her foot a while back and was on crutches and was talking about how hard it was to walk on the crutches because she was fat. I'm just not comfortable talking about it I guess. Not to skinny people at least. But, you all are right - weight is jsut a number. It isn't me. And it's not like people expect me to say I weigh 150 lbs. They can see that I'm fat, as much as I try to fool myself into thinking otherwise.
jewelrymaker81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:12 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I tell people, who usually only ask after I say, "I used to weigh over 300 pounds." Or I just tell them I lost 135 pounds, and then they can figure out the rough math. My family members were always asking what I weighed while I was in the process of losing, and I never minded telling them. I usually don't mind all around, because people usually say, "really? you don't look it at all."
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:12 PM   #20  
In Onderland!!!!

S/C/G: 227/227/140

My whole thought process on the fat issue is weird, see...I know I'm fat and other people know it but I don't feel fat...does that make sense? The only time it's right in my face is when I sit in a restaurant that has smaller seats or when I have to be in a bathing suit somewhere. I will walk past a mirror or see a picture of myself and be like "Dang, I'm fat" *lol* Then I will get depressed about it and then go on. I think I'm more conscious of it now that I am dieting than I was before...hmmm
wendymeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:15 PM   #21  
In Onderland!!!!

S/C/G: 227/227/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by lois lane View Post
Wendy, haven't heard of it. I think I'm actually sw of charlotte though. Heard of Blacksburg? Very small town. DH works in Charlotte for telephone.

Is Blacksburg in NC? I've never heard of it and have lived in Charlotte my whole life
wendymeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:40 PM   #22  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Nope, I don't tell my actual number to anybody but you guys!
BUT, I don't shut my screen down every time hubby walks by either, so he may know....or he may not pay that much attention

I have no problem telling people my age (I'm 30) or how much I've lost (25 pounds now ) ....but it's still hard...and I'm still ashamed of that number for whatever reason..

Linda

Last edited by famograham; 03-20-2008 at 11:41 PM.
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:53 AM   #23  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

I have a problem telling people my weight also. I think the first person I was honest with was my sister because she told me how much she weighed first and was in shock...so I told her not to feel too bad and told her my weight. I also told my best friend. It is kind of nice to have people be shocked because " I carry it well" but almost makes me think they don't know how much that actually looks like.

My bf of 7 years has no clue what I weigh. Well, he might but not because I have clued him in. I just feel its personal. I don't have an issue with age or how much I have lost though. At first I thought I don't tell people because they will think I'm fat...hahaha...because they cant see, I guess?? I really think if I talk about my weight with someone...it means its open for discussion and I don't want to hear what people have to say about my weight. Does that make sense to anyone? My bf's mom found out we are both eating differently - he doesn't need to - and she immediately asked how much I weighed. Not to my face...she asked my bf. I felt it was very rude of her to ask that. Maybe because I know she is not genuinely interested in my healthy new way...but is intrigued about how fat I am and wanting to know my weight. She has commented about it before to my bf....something along the lines of "you should find someone who isn't overweight and hot because you are young." Same woman who tells me I have a beautiful face...translate you would be pretty if you weren't so fat. I don't think I will tell anyone else my weight. I am actually kind of dreading Easter with the relatives because my dad has taken it upon himself to announce to the grandparents I am eating differently. I hate when people ask about my new way of eating and how I'm "coming along." Oh well...now I am rambling.
xGurlyGrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:18 AM   #24  

Height: 5'11"

I don't tell. My husband knows because he was there when they weighed me at the dr's office, but he's the only one I'd trust. It's not so much that I mind being fat -- although trust me, I do -- that that I mind people knowing that I care about being fat. So in jewelrymaker's situation, I would have felt the same exact way.
TheWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:22 AM   #25  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

My husband knows because we're tracking our weight on the same calendar. Oddly, until I lost enough weight to get into 'One'derland I wasn't willing to share the number with him, just how much I had lost. Now he has both numbers and he can do basic math. But somehow since I don't still weigh it, it seems ok to share the info.

I don't share it with anyone else. There's a couple ladies at work who coincidentally all started changing our eating at the same time-I mean the very same day. I think two of us started at about the same weight and have lost about the same amount. We've talked about that, have shared pounds lost, but haven't shared the starting number. We're such completely different shapes so we could be right or very wrong.
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:46 AM   #26  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGurlyGrlx View Post
My bf's mom found out we are both eating differently - he doesn't need to - and she immediately asked how much I weighed. Not to my face...she asked my bf. I felt it was very rude of her to ask that. Maybe because I know she is not genuinely interested in my healthy new way...but is intrigued about how fat I am and wanting to know my weight.

Yeah... that's different. That's her being sneaky & gossipy. She realizes it's not any of her business, and that you might not want to tell her, so she was trying to get around that just to get the info she wanted. That's rude.

I don't think my soon-to-be MIL would ever ask, but if she did ask me I'd tell her matter-of-fact wise.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:04 AM   #27  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Wendy, telling people your weight is a personal decision. I don't think it really matters one way or the other. I'm not a very private person, so I'll tell anyone who asks. If you're not comfortable sharing this information, that's perfectly fine. You don't have to.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:33 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 225/221/120

Height: 5'4"

I dont tell anyone my weight. It is mainly because I am so embarassed that I let myself get this heavy. I dont mind telling all of you my weight because I know that you guys will support me no matter what my weight is.
scoobie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:45 AM   #29  
Sally

S/C/G: 223/ticker/165

Height: 5'6"

back when i started losing, i wouldn't tell anyone my weight... now i shout it from the rooftops because i'm almost 30lbs down and smaller than i've been in a couple of years....

i actually run into the bedroom and wake my bf up to tell him my weigh in weight if it's good he of course is like "good job baby" and rolls over and goes back to sleep (i get up at 530 for work... the earliest he ever has to be at work is 11... he's a server)

Last edited by sxulcmnky; 03-21-2008 at 08:46 AM.
sxulcmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendymeows View Post
I'm curious, do you tell your family members, especially you SO how much you weigh? I never tell any of them!! When I set up my account here I was reluctant to put my weight in just in case they came across this site and now that I added tickers, I'm REAL nervous about it!! Is it just me?
as of now, I tell them how much I have lost. not the beg number. I once asked my sister how much she thought I weighed and she said 240 or something, I laughed and said it was a bit higher then that. ( I was around 268 or so at that time )
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote